Cannot determine abi of native library

That is the error I get when trying to include native cross-compiled libraries. I compiled them using the ndk, they are compiled for armeabi and I'm deploying the app on an armeabi device, however this is the error I'm getting:
1>Cannot determine abi of native library libasound.so. 1>Cannot determine abi of native library libasound.so. 1>Cannot determine abi of native library libSphinx.so. 1>Could not determine abi of some native libraries, ignoring those: libasound.so, libSphinx.so 1>Cannot determine abi of native library libasound.so. 1>Cannot determine abi of native library libSphinx.so. 1>Cannot determine abi of native library libasound.so. 1>Cannot determine abi of native library libSphinx.so. 1>Cannot determine abi of native library libasound.so. 1>Cannot determine abi of native library libSphinx.so. 1>Cannot determine abi of native library libasound.so. 1>Cannot determine abi of native library libSphinx.so. 1>Build FAILED.

I've been battling with it for a good few days and honestly I'm out of ideas, I tried to compile it using the standard ndk, standalone toolchain but Xamarin still can't determine the abi and won't let me deploy. I'm setting the .so libraries build action to AndroidNativeLibrary.
I would appreciate any help.
I've seen few people have similar problems but they never got answers, hopefully this time someone will know the reason.