Can't install System.Security.Cryptography to portable project?

EliasSimonEliasSimon USMember ✭✭
edited November 2016 in Cross Platform with Xamarin

I need to add simple cryptography to my Xamarin.Forms app, but it looks like System.Security.Cryptography isn't installed in the project. So, I tried to install System.Security.Cryptography.Algorithms to all the projects in the solution (using NuGet) and I get this error:

Could not install package 'System.Security.Cryptography.Algorithms 4.2.0'. You are trying to install this package into a project that targets '.NETPortable,Version=v4.5,Profile=Profile259', but the package does not contain any assembly references or content files that are compatible with that framework.

However, this only seems to apply to the Portable project. The package installs successfully for the platform-specific projects, MyApp.Droid, .iOS, and .UWP. What's going on?

This question seemed to pose a similar issue
https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/28314/you-are-trying-to-install-this-package-into-a-project-that-targets-xamarin-ios10
but I'm unclear on whether mattward's response is supposed to imply a solution. Same thing happens with a fresh Xamarin.Forms solution.

I'm using VS15, NuGet 3.4.4.1321, on a Win10, x64 machine.

Best Answer

Answers