ERR: There was an error launching the application: iOS Simulator failed to install the application.

lpinholpinho USMember ✭✭

Hi all,

Almost every time I try to launch an application in debug I'm having the error:

ERR: There was an error launching the application: iOS Simulator failed to install the application.

Xamarin just updated to the new 7.0 version and the simulator is now version 7.0.

Besides my application being completely different (I would prefer to use a word started by sh...), its rare to be able to start it.

Any help, please!!!

Thanks

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

Hi Ipinho,

Did this happen before your update also, or did it just start after the update?

Does the simulator start at all?

• lpinholpinho USMember ✭✭
    edited September 2013

Hi Jon,

the simulator (v7, v6.1 disappeared) starts without any problem, the problem occurs starting the application.

I'm gonna re-install everything and try it out, because in a 2nd machine, everything seems to work, the only problem in that other machine is that the applications cannot have as deployment target version 6.1, only 7.0 or 5.0 and below.

The result is that the applications have completely changed their look because they are being compiled against the new API - at least, that's what it seems - (but that's another topic I'm gonna open).

After re installing everything I will try to see if everything works correctly.

EDIT: forgot to answer the question. No, this never happened before.

Thanks again for the reply,

Luis Pinho

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited September 2013

I'm seeing this too, though I'm running OS X 10.8.5 under VMware (on a Mac). Are you by any chance running in a virtual machine?

In my case, if I quit the simulator each time before attempting to run the application, the application launches successfully.

I see the same problem for a simple template app compiled with Xcode when running via mtouch:

/Developer/MonoTouch/usr/bin/mtouch --launchsim=TemplateApp.app

Yes,
    we have a physical machine (all running without any problem) and a virtual machine running on Virtual Box, the one giving us big problems is the one running on the virtual machine.

Have you talked with Apple about this?

Thanks for the reply,

L. Pinho

Huh! After a bit of experimentation, I've found that setting the VM to have 2 processor cores instead of 1 seems to fix the problem.

Hopefully this is an option for you, and will fix the problem for you too! It's still a little mysterious why this causes a problem only when Xcode 5 is installed. With some luck, there will soon be some updates for this issue on this bug report:
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14878

I will try this settings and get back to you :)

Well, I was running with 4 core, reduced to 2 and it started to work, running without having to restart after each compilation.

Thanks for the tip

Glad that worked!

Just in case this might be a separate bug from the one I mentioned earlier, I've filed a new bug report for it:
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14940

• shripad20shripad20 INMember

I also had the same error as:
    There was an error launching the application: Unable to run app in Simulator

Then I quite the simulator and started it again. It worked for me.