Forum Xamarin.Android

WCF walkthrough

Hi!

In the given WCF walkthrough it is said that we need IIS published service (and silverlight SDK5) to make it work with android (in my case) devices.

I have already had a service that has its own host (a console application) and works via tcp protocol. So I have just added a basicHttpBinding (as it is said in the tutorial) and made a proxy. My proxy class has synchronous methods only (no xxxAsynch nor xxxCompleted) and though it works fine so far.

So I`m interested why this approach is not described as the one between possible ones (because it seems easier as we don`t need to deal with IIS settings directly)? Does it have some disadvantages I haven`t noticed yet or something else?

• TomOpgenorthTomOpgenorth CAXamarin Team Xamurai

Network operations on mobile devices should be asynchronous - otherwise they will end up blocking the UI thread and make the application sluggish and unresponsive.

• Pavel-Pavel- USMember

Well, you are right. But I thought of using this service in the non-UI thread to process the data most of which should not deal with UI.

Anyway, I`ve found this way possible too. Probably there might be some cases when such the approach would be suitable, may be my one too :)