Custom keyboard

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a way to have a custom keyboard which would be a numeric keyboard with a slash button and a space button.

Are there any way to achieve that?

Thank you

Tagged:

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

I could be wrong, and if someone knows a better way please speak up so I can learn it too. But...

An Entry has a Keyboard property, but its values would be lowest-common-denominator across all the platforms. SO 'text, numberic, internet, chat' etc.
    https://developer.xamarin.com/recipes/cross-platform/xamarin-forms/controls/choose-keyboard-for-entry/

If its not a true 'keyboard' installed on every platform you're using (iOS, Android, UWP, WinPhone) then you'll probably have to make it yourself.

I could be a UserControl that is already on the page but hidden. Then when you enter a specific Entry that needs it unhide it, when you leave the Entry hide it again.

• Hi ClintStLaurent,

Thanks for your answer. I thought about doing something like that. Unfortunately, creating a usercontrol will add some problems such as:

• The soft keyboard will still appear and so it will make my view sliding up

Would there be a way to make such a way that my control takes the place of the keyboard and slide from the bottom when the entry is focused knowing other entry are on the page which would require the regular keyboard?

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

You may have to be creative.
    Stick a label on top of the entry. When it is clicked then bring up the custom UserControl.
    Therefore you don't really focus on the Entry, therefore the default keyboard doesn't come up.
    Bind the usercontrol's backing text property and the Entry text property to the same backing property on the ViewModel.

As for nifty effects like sliding up... If you install the PopupPage Nuget package you could use that to bring up your custom keyboard. it has all sorts of animations.
    https://www.nuget.org/packages/Rg.Plugins.Popup/