Watch question

wallymwallym USInsider, Beta ✭✭✭

Question on the apple watch. I've been googling for this, but am not able to find the answer, so I thought I would ask about it here.

If a text message gets sent to an iPhone, as I understand it, the text message gets forwarded to a connected apple watch. If the user selects the text message, can the act of selecting the text message allow a watch application to be loaded up on the watch and run?

Tagged:

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016

From Notification Essentials:

Apple Watch takes full advantage of the existing interactive notification support on iOS. If your iOS app supports notifications, Apple Watch displays those notifications at appropriate times. When one of your app’s local or remote notifications arrives on the user’s iPhone, iOS decides whether to display that notification on the iPhone or on the Apple Watch. For notifications sent to Apple Watch, the system lets the user know subtly that a notification is available. If the user chooses to view the notification, the system displays an abbreviated version of the notification first, followed by a more detailed version. The user can dismiss the detailed notification, launch your Watch app, or act on the notification by tapping an available action button. [emphasis added by me]

edit -- Of course I just re-read your post and realized you were talking about text messages, not notifications. So I have no answer for you. Sorry.

• LarryOBrienLarryOBrien USXamarin Team Xamurai

I can't think of an existing callback / delegate that would do this.

Just "thinking out loud" does an Intents Extension in the messaging domain help? You can get a callback on the phone-side before the messages is responded to and then ... I don't know ... You can trigger background processing on the watch using WKWatchConnectivityRefreshBackgroundTask but I don't know how you're going to detect your use-case of "Only when the user responds via the watch."