Visual Studio 2015 Android Designer stop working

After many manipulation in a layout, the designer stop working. Simple the progress bar to indicate work on rendering but nothing appear.
Just the progressbar infinitely

• BenBrummittBenBrummitt USMember
    edited October 2016

I'm having this issue also. The designer view will display once after launching VS but never for a second time, either after changes or even changing to the code view. Only restarting VS works, totally impractical and has made Xamarin unusable!

Only started happening after latest update.

Tried full re-install of Xamarin and Android SDK. Cleared AppData. Still same problem. Reverting to previous versions isn't working either. Whatever has happened has completely broken the setup.

• StracandidoStracandido USMember ✭✭

I have the same issue, too.

The android designer view displays twice after lunching VS but never for a third time.

I need to restart VS to display again, but only two more times; then I still have to restart VS and so on.

Xamarin is now unusable...

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015
    Version 14.0.25431.01 Update 3
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.6.01055

Xamarin 4.2.0.703 (3b7df6f)
    Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android.

Xamarin.Android 7.0.1.3 (96c7ba6)
    Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.Android.

• JStemperJStemper USMember

Add me to the list. I have the same issue.

• Me too. Tried to do a repair and now get other loading errors... Should have left well enough alone with the previous version.

• Just a heads up on something I have tried and have it working again (except for a few attribute not found issues and the designer takes forever to load, like a few mins, but it does load each time now). It took a few hours to do, especially searching/deleting in the registry.

I decided to uninstall Xamarin. I then stumbled across someone having an issue with both the full Xamarin install and the Get Xamarin option from the VS Extensions and Updates being enabled. So, I uninstalled that as well, then did a manual clean of the files left over and the registry settings (yes, I know what I am doing with the Registry before anyone comments).

Following that, I reinstalled Xamarin which somewhat worked but then I was getting the android version was to low of a version when trying to display the activity in the designer. I went through the SDK updates and updated to 25.2.2 of the SDK.

However, after that, in the designer I was getting a "something went wrong" error. I did a repair on the Xamarin and low and behold, I am no back to where I left off before I upgraded Xamarin.

What a journey, but I think it is solved. I can open up the designer and compile the app. The only issue I have (since upgrading originally) is that in my gridlayout, the system is telling me for a Spinner and edittext control that layout_columnspan attribute does not exists, and neither does layout_gravity or layout_columnweight for the spinner (I posted this separately under the Android forum).

Rob

• Well, that didn't work.. It worked for about 5 switches between source and designer, but now it is acting exactly as before.

Sorry for getting any hopes up.

Surely someone has ideas on how to fix this. I have now wasted 2 days trying to get this to work before the upgrading.

I also notice that after the designer just sits there, if you try a build or clean, VS just hangs.

• majomamajoma DEUniversity ✭✭

I'm adding me to this list, bacause I have similar issue with VS2015 after xamarin upgrade to

• Xamarin 4.20.703
    • Xamarin.Android 7.0.1.3 (I have just an Android App)

I get often the message "Custom controls disabled. There was and internal issue with the rendering process" together with a button on right side called "Re-enable". I cannot click on the "Re-enable" button because the designer hangs forever with a hanging progress bar. This I get when I click on the Designer-Tab of an opened *.axml file.
    Never get this before the update and also the layouts were nice before the update.

I would be happy about a fix or a workaround.

• Hi All.

Well, I have fixed this issue this time for sure.

I went back to 4.1.2.18.

Was able to download it from https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads#cycle7

Uninstalled Xamarin and Xamarin Installer from Windows 10 Control Panel->Programs and Features then just ran the downloaded file.

Have been using it for a few hours now (switching between source/designer) and hasn't missed a beat (finally). It has also fixed issues I was having were simple things like android:layout_gravity or android:textcolor was coming up as errors titled missing attribute.

I opened a bug report two days ago and they told me that the problem was already known (my bug report has been marked as a duplicate); Furthermore it seems that the problem has already been solved and therefore hypothesize that the resolution will be available with the next update. Look forward...

I have now installed the new update released yesterday, but the problem persists.

Xamarin 4.2.0.719 (15694b9)
    Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android.

Xamarin.Android 7.0.1.6 (5a02b03)

Xamarin.iOS 10.2.0.4 (b638977)
    Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS.

• Hello, same problem here.

Visual Studio 2015 community edition
    latest xamarin

• MohananNairMohananNair USMember

I had the same issue. I followed What Mr. Robert Brown said.
    "I went back to 4.1.2.18.

Was able to download it from https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads#cycle7

Uninstalled Xamarin and Xamarin Installer from Windows 10 Control Panel->Programs and Features then just ran the downloaded file."

It looks that it solved the issue.
    Thanks a lot.

• MohananNairMohananNair USMember

@RobertBrown.2438 said:
    Hi All.

Well, I have fixed this issue this time for sure.

I went back to 4.1.2.18.

Uninstalled Xamarin and Xamarin Installer from Windows 10 Control Panel->Programs and Features then just ran the downloaded file.

Have been using it for a few hours now (switching between source/designer) and hasn't missed a beat (finally). It has also fixed issues I was having were simple things like android:layout_gravity or android:textcolor was coming up as errors titled missing attribute.

Great. It worked for me .
    Mohan.

Hi All,

After updating the system the problem is solved. My current setup is as follows:

Xamarin 4.2.1.58 (3e1ef9e)

Xamarin.Android 7.0.2.37 (ce955cc)

Xamarin.iOS 10.2.1.5 (44931ae)
    Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS.

• I am facing the almost same issue, the controls perfectly displayed on visual studio designer but when i debug the app on mobile it shows blank black screen on mobile don't show any thing except application name. help needed

Thanks in advance.

• jamoundjamound USMember

Same issue here too. It's killing my productivity. I just can't work this way.

• PierceBogganPierceBoggan USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai
    edited February 2017

@MuhammadBilalLiaquat @jamound Could you share your environment information please? You can get this by going to Help -> About Microsoft Visual Studio -> Copy Version Information. I'd like to see if I can reproduce this issue if I configure my environment to replicate yours.

Thanks so much! :smile:

• JamshaidKamranJamshaidKamran PKMember ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Same issue. Here are my Xamarin details...!
    (https://us.v-cdn.net/5019960/uploads/editor/xk/nwbl0om4lu86.png "")