How can I update the Xamarin.IOS version on my MAC?

Ive been building an app for a week or so, everythign working great. I'm using Visual Studio on my PC an dhave a MAC Mini on the network. All running well. Sudden;y yesterday it stopped working - I think that my Mac may have installed an update that then put the two systems out of sync. I decided to go down the road of updating everything - my PC, my MAC, and my iPhone 5.

Still nothing works and when I check the Xamarin output I see this message (amongst others):

The installed Xamarin.iOS (version 9.8) on the Mac macem.local (192.168.1.166) is not compatible with the local Xamarin.iOS 10.0.

So obviosuly I either need to update Xamarin.IOS on my Mac or roll it back / target an older version on my PC - but I don't seem to know how to do either! I'm presuming it's relatively simple - can anyone help tell me how to do either or both!

THanks,

EMily

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

When you open up Xamarin Studio on the Mac it should prompt to update, or you can tap the Xamarin Studio in the toolbar up top and go to check for updates: https://developer.xamarin.com/recipes/cross-platform/ide/change_updates_channel/

You will also need to update Xcode to 8.0 from the app store.

• EmilyChristyEmilyChristy GBMember ✭✭

Hi James, Thank you for the response. Xcode is already updated on my Mac and there are no other pending updates.

I opened Xamarin Studio on my Mac and it picked up several updates which were then downloaded and installed - and I'm back up and running. Thank you very much :)

One thing I still don't understand though - and I don't need this right now, but I would imagine I will - my iPhone is now running IOS 10 so I cna carry on developing and testing on that. Next week, when hopefully I'll be ready to submit my app tp the app store, how can I select an older IOS version and debug / test for that?

Thanks,

Emily

• altering the update channel works too

• MOFADevsMOFADevs QAUniversity ✭✭

Hi @JamesMontemagno
    Updating Xamarin for Visual Studio 2015 on PC and Xamarin Studio for Mac on Mac Build Host went well and everything thing works fine for Android and iOS. Thanks
    Couple of queries though:

1. Xamarin Studio is upgraded to Community Version 6.3 (build 864). I was curious, why community? Isn't it full edition? Do I need to do some kind of activation to have full edition or its ok.
    2. Xamarin.iOS for Visual Studio on PC has version is 10.10.0.35 where as on Mac it is 10.10.0.36.

Please advise.

• LincolnGovindsamyLincolnGovindsamy USMember ✭✭

@MOFADevs did you manage to find a solution?

• joesleimanjoesleiman USMember ✭✭

i'm using visual studio 2017 , i click on visual studio up and then click on check updates , i noticed that xamarin.ios 11.0.0 already downloaded but it seems need to be installed because i'm still facing the error on windows machine :
    The installed Xamarin.iOS (version 10.12) on the Mac Unnamed Server is not compatible with the local Xamarin.iOS (version 11.0).

• LotokLotok GBMember ✭✭

@joesleiman You may already have figured this out but XCode 9 requires a separate download from the app store, it doesn't seem to update from 8. That is what you need. I had same issue tonight