Can someone explain how Android Resource.Designer actually works?

I routinely have problems during project builds where Resource.Designer gets generated but will no longer compile. My search engine shows that I'm not the only one that has this problem, but I've also not found any reliable "fix" for when it happens.

For example, right now I have a project that works just fine, but if I add a reference to a NuGet library (that I created) then the app will no longer compile because of loads of errors in Resource.Designer.

Of course the immediate issue is "how do I fix this error in this project" but really I want to understand what is fundamentally going on here. What causes Resource.Designer to get generated and regenerated? What algorithm is used to decide what items get put into that file? Why doe we so often end up with a file getting generated that then cannot actually compile? Why is it not getting the references it needs for those items?

So yes, I want to know how to fix my current problem, but more important is to understand why the error crops us so I can avoid it in the future when it comes up again (and I most certainly will come up again).