Mac Disk Space disappears with Xamarin Studio

I am a newbie to Xamrin but i am trying to get sample code working and as a result have had to use the Android SDK Manager to install and uninstall various packages. So in one day I have gone from 80GB of free space to 20GB. Can anyone tell me why this is the case when I effectively now only have Android 7.0 (API 24) installed.
Can someone tell me where the redundant files are so I can free up space. This will cause my machine to be unusable very soon.

Answers

• BenDaviesBenDavies GBMember ✭✭
    edited September 2016

Just to add to this, I can see Time Machine running to back up 63GB of files. Surely this cannot be necessary and files need to be deleted.
    BTW I have emptied the Trash but with no luck.

Update : As I was down to 4GB drive space I had to kill the Xamarin process and completely uninstall it as per instructions here (https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/getting_started/installation/uninstalling_xamarin/#Uninstall_Xamarin_Studio). Very sad to have to do this but my drive s now up to 93GB free space. thats 90GB of files! surely there is some major misuse of space, file versions, etc here.

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

This is typically caused by android log files generated from Xamarin Studio. Run the Console app (in LaunchPad under Other). Click "All Messages" and expand the ~/Library/Logs entry. Click XamarinStudio-<yourversion>. You'll see a bunch of log files. You can highlight those files, right-click and Move to Trash then empty the trash.

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe Android SDK installed on your mac?

• GirishMGirishM INMember ✭✭

Any help with this issue? I am running out of space. For Xamarin Studio, I am deleting all the files and folder to create space. Now, there is nothing I can delete to create the space. From last 5-6 days, I am creating 5-6GB space daily. When I start Xamarin Studio and start development , disk space started decrease and left 100-200 MB at the end of the day. It will not free the space event though I clean the project. Don't know how to solve the issue. Help will be really appreciated.

@GirishM said:
    Any help with this issue? I am running out of space. For Xamarin Studio, I am deleting all the files and folder to create space. Now, there is nothing I can delete to create the space. From last 5-6 days, I am creating 5-6GB space daily. When I start Xamarin Studio and start development , disk space started decrease and left 100-200 MB at the end of the day. It will not free the space event though I clean the project. Don't know how to solve the issue. Help will be really appreciated.

@DaveHunt said:
    This is typically caused by android log files generated from Xamarin Studio. Run the Console app (in LaunchPad under Other). Click "All Messages" and expand the ~/Library/Logs entry. Click XamarinStudio-<yourversion>. You'll see a bunch of log files. You can highlight those files, right-click and Move to Trash then empty the trash.

edited January 2017

Thanks David for your reply. I already tried this but it's of only 24MB space. It will not help to fix the issue. PFA.

Have you searched your entire disk to find where the space is being taken?

• HortinzHortinz GBMember ✭✭

Could you guys post a screenshot of the SDK Manager? Just saying because if you guys tick all those boxes you can easily take over 20GB of space just on Android stuff

edited January 2017

@Hortinz said:
    Could you guys post a screenshot of the SDK Manager? Just saying because if you guys tick all those boxes you can easily take over 20GB of space just on Android stuff

The issue is not with the space taken by SDK, issue is Xamarin Studio occupying all space available. At start of the day, if there is 10 GB of space, by end of the day, it would be around 100-200 MB. I have checked the project folder size, and it's increase by 1GB (due bin, obj folder). But I am not able know where other 8-9 GB space goes?

• LyndonHugheyLyndonHughey USUniversity ✭✭✭

Try installing the latest edition of Dr. Disk on your mac and try running it after you close XamStudio. It will display the amount of space you can remove. Click on the details and it will show you the location of the files left by XamStudio.

Alternatively, open up a terminal in your home directory and enter the following:

du -k . | sort -n

That will give you a list of your directories ordered by size. It should give you a clue as to what's going on.

• DanielVartdalDanielVartdal USMember ✭✭
    edited April 2017

I use my girlfriends Mac when developing, and she has been complaining about disk space disappearing. I blame her for all the photos in the disk, but she has said; "No, I do not have any iCloud/iPhone sync or anything. It has to be your developer application. I had 12GB free space,now there is none. This happened after you installed the developer application again...".

My short answer was of course: "No way this developer application is taking up space".

I guess I was wrong.

Have you found any solution to this problem @GirishM @BenDavies?

What I have been seeing though, is that her JottaCloud(cloud-backup program) is often saying "Finished uploading files. xx new files uploaded". And I'm certain that she has not put Xamarin Studio on her backup-list. She has mostly images on her backup list.

I do not have the MAC available, but to me it might seem that Xamarin Studio might be triggering some file upload (need to check this later on, as this is just an assumption and a BTW)

edited April 2017

@DanielVartdal said:
    I use my girlfriends Mac when developing, and she has been complaining about disk space disappearing. I blame her for all the photos in the disk, but she has said; "No, I do not have any iCloud/iPhone sync or anything. It has to be your developer application. I had 12GB free space,now there is none. This happened after you installed the developer application again...".

My short answer was of course: "No way this developer application is taking up space".

I guess I was wrong.

Have you found any solution to this problem @GirishM @BenDavies?

What I have been seeing though, is that her JottaCloud(cloud-backup program) is often saying "Finished uploading files. xx new files uploaded". And I'm certain that she has not put Xamarin Studio on her backup-list. She has mostly images on her backup list.

I do not have the MAC available, but to me it might seem that Xamarin Studio might be triggering some file upload (need to check this later on, as this is just an assumption and a BTW)

Hi Daniel,

I have not found any solution yet for the same issue. But the issue still exists. I have started using Window's machine for development instead of MAC. Xamarin studio has a lot of environment issue and disk space is one of them. Sometimes you will observe the project build process never end.

You can delete the "obj" and "bin" folder frequently to free the space.

• JimBennettJimBennett GBXamarin Team, Insider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Some of the space used up will be swap space allocated by the OS - so the virtual memory used when developing. I find a reboot will free up sometimes up to 20GB of disk space.

• @BenDavies said:
    I am a newbie to Xamrin but i am trying to get sample code working and as a result have had to use the Android SDK Manager to install and uninstall various packages. So in one day I have gone from 80GB of free space to 20GB. Can anyone tell me why this is the case when I effectively now only have Android 7.0 (API 24) installed.
    Can someone tell me where the redundant files are so I can free up space. This will cause my machine to be unusable very soon.

So did find the solution? I did a research on my mac and found folder named android ndk and sdk which combined together took up 12gb of space, they were downloaded when I installed android + xamarin.forms

• HortinzHortinz GBMember ✭✭

Have a look at this thread:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30796230/android-sdk-folder-taking-a-lot-of-disk-space-do-we-need-to-keep-all-of-the-sys

You probably have a lot of stuff on the SDK that you don't need. Although to be fair, 12GB is acceptable.