• @TrevBoyd said:

@MihaiCvasnievschi1 said:

@FerencCzirok.0862 said:

Turn on the XAML compiler.

Add to AssemblyInfo.cs this:

using Xamarin.Forms.Xaml;
    [assembly: XamlCompilation(XamlCompilationOptions.Compile)]

It's working for me.

Sorry ... still crashing for me on WinPhone.

Same experience here - does not work on WinPhone 8.1, but works fine on Android using Xamarin.Forms 2.3.4.184-pre1

Odd enough everything works fine with the Debug version of Xamarin.Forms.Xaml
    I've downloaded the Xamarin.Forms code base from GitHub trying to figure out what happens. It appears that the problem was introduced in ApplyPropertiesVisitor.cs and probably around "//Simplify ListNodes with single elements". Unfortunately being a "Release" kind of error I cannot debug and figure out what happens but it appears that the code in the "simplify ListNodes" is executed for "Release" but not for "Debug".

• denominator01denominator01 USMember
    edited February 23

Critical bug:

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=51238

When setting opacity less than 1, the app crashes.

• falezfalez TRMember

Hey thanks for the additional information! I'm assuming that the Theme issue is included under the XamlC issues mentioned in that post.

• AndrewMcCormackAndrewMcCormack USUniversity ✭✭

Here my update error.

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/Xamarin/Android/Xamarin.Android.Common.targets: Error: Tool exited with code: 2. Output:
    trouble writing output: Too many field references: 82151; max is 65536.
    You may try using --multi-dex option.

Nice.

Why when i add the package "Xamarin.GooglePlayServices.AppIndexing" I get another supporting package for Xamarin.Firebase? What does Firebase have to do with AppIndexing? I can not remove Firebase without AppIndexing being removed.

Another issue is the Xamarin.GooglePlayServices.AppIndexing, requires me to install about 7 other packages that I do not need.

• DH_HA1DH_HA1 USMember ✭✭✭

@AndrewMcCormack is moving to latest Google play services and Forms making apps go multi-dex?

think it was a referenced package that got updated that should NOT have.

after a few hours of reloading packages and fighting errors, it working. My "other" comment about firebase being included in appIndexing package remains. I see no reason for this package to be included with appIndexing.

It working again. needed to update for bug fixes.

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭

@rogihee said:
    @dpedrinha Forms is not thread-safe everywhere, so always go to the main thread when updating GUI elements. Have you tried that?

And don't use Device.StartTimer, the Timer is one of the worst parts of Forms and just doesn't work. This PR needs to be merged:
    https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/374

what is wrong with Device.StartTimer? I have been using it for long time in my app and havent had experienced any problem yet. I created small stopwatch i my app using it

• transferimtransferim TRMember

We had some issues and looking at that release again. We will try to put it up again soon next week.

• FokkeVermeulenFokkeVermeulen DEMember ✭✭

@DavidOrtinau
    do you know when there is an official nuget release for this hotfix? https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/releases/tag/release-2.3.3-hf1

I cannot see it here https://www.nuget.org/packages/Xamarin.Forms/

Are there problems with this package or why is it not released?

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

@FokkeVermeulen well, that is an official hotfix release. We have some limitations on what and when we can push to NuGet. They currently coincide with IDE and template updates.

So stable public releases and pre-releases will appear on NuGet, but for now hotfix releases only appear on GitHub.

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭

@FokkeVermeulen said:
    @DavidOrtinau
    do you know when there is an official nuget release for this hotfix? https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/releases/tag/release-2.3.3-hf1

I cannot see it here https://www.nuget.org/packages/Xamarin.Forms/

Are there problems with this package or why is it not released?

does this occur only on 2.3.3.193? in which cases does it occur?

• dpedrinhadpedrinha DEMember ✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau said:
    @FokkeVermeulen well, that is an official hotfix release. We have some limitations on what and when we can push to NuGet. They currently coincide with IDE and template updates.

So stable public releases and pre-releases will appear on NuGet, but for now hotfix releases only appear on GitHub.

More than an year working with Xamarin and I can't remember a single stable release. I'm sorry, but they are all hotfixes for the previous "stable" release. And with new problems.

• TobiasSchulz.9796TobiasSchulz.9796 DEMember ✭✭

This is unbelievable... Hotfixes need to be on nuget!

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

SO with 2.3.3.193 we also don't have the requirement of Xamarin.Android.Support.xxx being stuck at 23.3.> @DavidOrtinau said:

I'm trying to envision how to handle this in a team environment and not a 'one man operation'. Our company has a dozen Xamarin developers. We keep our own NuGet repository of approved packages, where each developer's Visual Studio only looks at the company repo. One person tests new/updated packages that are released on NuGet.org to make sure they don't break the solution or compatibility with other packages. Once a package has been vetted then it is added to our company repo and everyone sees there is an update available from there.

Now throw into that mix that these hotfixes ARE official, but not released through the established NuGet mechanism, supported by... well... everyone... as well as Visual Studio's NuGet Package Manager and so on...

@DavidOrtinau Given the environment I've described, how would you recommend we adjust so we can stay up to date with the official releases and yet not have everyone on the team grabbing off Github willy-nilly?

• DonBoxDonBox USMember ✭✭

@DavidOrtinau said:

Shouldn't it coincide with IDE and templates updates only if there's an actual reason?

Since a hot fix it's actually a fix, why not release a new version on NuGet too?
    A new released version can be for minor updates too, it doesn't have to be only for major\many updates....

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

Hey all, I hear you. I would love every build to be on NuGet, and I'm working to make that happen. The current state is not the optimal desired state, and so I said "for now hotfix releases only appear on GitHub".

It requires coordination as I mentioned, and if we push everything to NuGet presently it will break other experiences in the IDEs.

If only the "stable" versions on nugget were stable, I could accept the hot fixes not being there. At least they would have the excuse of needing time to test. But after an year working with xamarin I sure they don't even compile a single project before releasing the stable versions. Countless updates that just stop compiling even new projects.

@dpedrinha said:
    If only the "stable" versions on nugget were stable, I could accept the hot fixes not being there. At least they would have the excuse of needing time to test. But after an year working with xamarin I sure they don't even compile a single project before releasing the stable versions. Countless updates that just stop compiling even new projects.

We do test against projects, and we also have the pre-release process to invite the community to also test. And we are improving our internal QA overall. I very much hope to see this experience improved.

If you have bugzilla issues or want to discuss specifics, please let me know so we can speak to concrete issues.

• PaulBrennerPaulBrenner USUniversity ✭✭

@DavidOrtinau said:

@dpedrinha said:

We do test against projects, and we also have the pre-release process to invite the community to also test. And we are improving our internal QA overall. I very much hope to see this experience improved.

If you have bugzilla issues or want to discuss specifics, please let me know so we can speak to concrete issues.

Since we are discussing bugs, I personally would love to see the bugs that deal with basic controls not working fixed.
    For example, label's don't work correctly (52631, 44888, 34943)

Also I really think the discussion about Minimum width/height not working how people expect should be revisited. (see https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/386)

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau:
    Unfortunately, I have to confirm experience of @dpedrinha
    I work since about two years now with .forms and fear every update (this means not only .forms, also integration SW to VS).
    Therefore, I only update, if I'm forced to (sad but unfortunately true)

So it would be nice, if your own statement in the roadmap thread would become true:

Primary Focus
    Quality is top of the list. This means stability and performance first and foremost. Xamarin.Forms has been swiftly adopted as a preferred tool for delivering production apps in addition to rapid prototypes. Our focus and priorities are to support the Xamarin.Forms community in those areas. In the release schedule below, we've highlighted how and where we are making those investments.

@PaulBrenner said:
    Also I really think the discussion about Minimum width/height not working how people expect should be revisited. (see https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/386)

We if we are going to revisit - how about label FillAndExpand, behaving differently than CenterAndExpand https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=52541
    AND the added complexity of

if the Label is inside a vertical StackLayout then the HorizontalOptions will be ignored and the centering in the first Label is coming from the HorizontalTextAlignment instead.

And the bug was closed because this is the expected behavior. Really? By whom? Not your typical coder that might have the silly idea that CenterAndExpand, EndAndExpand, and StartAndExpand might all actually Expand in the same way, and align to either center, start or end as the name implies

I've totally given up on trying to set such values of a Label. Any more i place a grid and color and align it, then layer a Label on top of it making the entire thing appear to be one unit. Silly work arounds - but still better than building separate apps in Java, Swift and WPF for Droid, iOS and UWP respectively.

• BradChase.2654BradChase.2654 USMember ✭✭✭

@PaulBrenner I agree that Labels have alot of issues right now. We actually removed all of our StackLayouts entirely (hundreds) because they not only had issues when rendering normally also when you leave the app and then come back into the app, they would just plain cut off all text within them down to the minimum 5 pixel width.

That said I found another one where if you have two columns in a grid and two rows, have one label in each column then one that is stretched in the second row across the two columns it will render correctly but the height gets miscalculated and will mess up the entire view underneath it getting cut off. I will try to dig through Xamarin's code when I get a chance and see if there is a fix for it.

Failure while updating in place

A solution that worked just fine with Xamarin.Android.Support.xxx libraries version 23.3.0, was updated to XF 2.3.3.193 and works fine.
    Then updated the Android.Support libraries from 23.3.0 to 25.1.1.
    Now the solution fails in that same path location due to path too long.

Copy/paste the solution to the root of D: and builds/deploys just fine.
    Somehow the new libraries introduce longer paths, I guess.

Serious pain given in our TFS environment we have branch path names to the effect of
    ..\tfsworkspace\company\productname\Branches\2017Q1-ticketnum-description\
    then all the actual solution files and subfolders below that.

The OS can track paths beyond 260 characters. You'd think this wouldn't be an issue in the year 2017.

edited March 3
    > @DavidOrtinau said:
    > @dpedrinha said:
    > If only the "stable" versions on nugget were stable, I could accept the hot fixes not being there. At least they would have the excuse of needing time to test. But after an year working with xamarin I sure they don't even compile a single project before releasing the stable versions. Countless updates that just stop compiling even new projects.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > We do test against projects, and we also have the pre-release process to invite the community to also test. And we are improving our internal QA overall. I very much hope to see this experience improved.
    >
    > If you have bugzilla issues or want to discuss specifics, please let me know so we can speak to concrete issues.

Well, my last bug took a month to be seen and two more to be fixed. Last time I updated xamarin and forms my project stopped compiling and I can't even find what is wrong to report or fix it. And the same happens with 90% of the updates. Always a new bug. So it's really hard to see that quality is a top priority.

In fact, I dare anyone come here and say otherwise. Say that they update forms or xamarin without fear and that most of the times the transition is stable, which, in my understanding, means that it will compile at least projects with the previous version.

And let us face it, every update brings many bug reports and complains.

But, please, don't take it as any kind of flaming or if I'm somehow saying that you are lying or provoking you in any bad way. I'm not. But I really thing you should stop every thing that you are doing right now and focus on a stable version (which means fixing some really major bugs) even if you have to refactor it and only then go back to new stuff. I see some new stuff being released and to be honest, too little improvement to the overall developer experience. I mean, not even intelisense works out of the box and even after a bunch of workarounds, it still doesn't work as it should. So unless this is related to a partnership with Resharper, I really think this should be a top priority. Along with basic layout and event bugs and so on. I'm pretty sure the community would take those fixes a lot better than new stuff.

Not even the install package is being updated! To be honest, I keep having to format my computer just because of Xamarin. Why? Because every time something goes wrong with an update, I end up screwing it all trying to fix it. To make things worse, I can't even make a clean uninstall of all it's components (another thing that xamarin install package should provide). So I have to format my computer and install it all over again. Ok, I'm dealing with it, it's just one day every couple of weeks doing this formatting job (just a little bit of sarcasm). But there's more to it, for instance: the install package has the option to install UWP emulators. And guess what? VS2015 can't find them and takes me to the download page every time after a clean install. And the main problem to me is that it adds around 5gb to my SSD drive (which is a huge problem). So it's not replacing the ones installed by xamarin, it's installing it somewhere else. And I'm too afraid to look for the other ones, delete it and have to format my computer again. And there's more! Some updates don't allow me to keep working on the same project. Some times I need to create a new project, set it up all over again and copy every thing to this one. Why? I have no idea, maybe it's my fault screwing all up trying to fix the last bug, maybe is my SSD being full all the time even though I have only Windows 10 and Xamarin installed, who knows. The point is that I didn't have any problem like this with any other platforms before. Working with Xamarin is exhausting and I spend more time trying to make it work than coding!

Seriously, Xamarin is too old to have such elementary problems and this is not looking good in the dev community. That's why I really think you should stop every thing, and make a stable version, fix the intellisense problem, update the install package and then, go back to minor bugs and improvements.

All other dev companies I know don't want to work with Xamarin. There are many other options for multiplatform development way more attractive than Xamarin and you know why? Not because they are better. No! Xamarin has a way better result then them. But because they are stable! People get interested in Xamarin because of it's goal but soon after installing and trying it they face way too many problems right out of the box! If I didn't hate HTML more than any other language I would have forgotten Xamarin a long time ago. But I'm 'this' close to go native.

Please take it as a friendly suggestion. I'm sure you and the rest of your team are way over my league and I have no idea what the Xamarin team size is or what you are going through. But I really feel this is the way to go. Maybe ask the community. Send everyone an e-mail inviting for a quiz about what they want the most. It would even earn you some credit with your users. I know I would like it. Some times I get the feeling that Xamarin is being forgotten and it's just a matter of time for all my effort in it goes to the toilet. Have you heard about the almost dead Apache Flex (former Adobe Flex) project? Well, I took that punch really hard and I really feel you are going the same way. But for what it's worth, it worked great, and in a lot less time they got way further than Xamarin. Sadly Steve Jobs killed it, because of his competition with Adobe softwares, forbidding their apps in iOS devices. But it's open source now, and they did a really good job similar to Forms. Xamarin could learn a lot from their structure.

Thanks for reading, sorry for the rambling. I really just want to help. I really believe and hope Xamarin will take off.

Best regards
  • ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭

@ClintStLaurent said:

Failure while updating in place

A solution that worked just fine with Xamarin.Android.Support.xxx libraries version 23.3.0, was updated to XF 2.3.3.193 and works fine.
    Then updated the Android.Support libraries from 23.3.0 to 25.1.1.
    Now the solution fails in that same path location due to path too long.

Copy/paste the solution to the root of D: and builds/deploys just fine.
    Somehow the new libraries introduce longer paths, I guess.

Serious pain given in our TFS environment we have branch path names to the effect of
    ..\tfsworkspace\company\productname\Branches\2017Q1-ticketnum-description\
    then all the actual solution files and subfolders below that.

The OS can track paths beyond 260 characters. You'd think this wouldn't be an issue in the year 2017.

You should update only Xamarin.Forms. Don't touch anything else.

I think you just reinstall Xamarin.Forms from the NuGet. It will get what all it wants.

@ShantimohanElchuri

You should update only Xamarin.Forms. Don't touch anything else.

Up to and including forms version 2.3.3.180 that's true. The limitation of 23.3.30 exists. I've made a big, loud point of not updating these packages here on the forum and on my site.

But...

As of forms 2.3.3.193 and latest Xamarin for Visual Studio Cycle 9 that limitation is gone. (see photo at end showing GreaterThanOrEqualTo 23.3.0
    I've successfully updated other test projects just fine. Even this project updates and runs fine - so long as the path is kept a little shorter. (Other thread with more detail)

That's bug I'm reporting here in the threads specific to 2.3.3.193 - that the paths have grown when you do the android.support updates.

But if you keep the paths shorter, the updates work.

• LGMaestrelliLGMaestrelli BRMember ✭✭✭

@ClintStLaurent
    Same problem here.
    I was hoping that updating the support library to 25 would fix some problems with Android bindings...

@LGMaestrelli
    My workaround was to remap my local TFS workspace, trimming off all the leading stuff...
    D:\tfsworkspace\company\productname\Branches\2017Q1-ticketnum-description\
    D:\Branches\..
    D:\Trunk\

To be fair to Xamarin... Its virtually impossible to mimic all the weird business behaviors that a company might have in place for years. That's why there are mechanisms to report this situations.

Some of it is just 'real world' stuff though. Any company that makes software for clients is going to have longer paths. ..\client\year\projectnumber\ticket\blah isn't really all that uncommon in grown up world. Freelance contractors probably see this more than anyone since they have to file things by client and so on, making the paths deeper than one company might have.

@dpedrinha we are resolving regressed issues for our next stable release and driving to get that candidate out. Lots of stability improvements in there. We've been very aggressively working open bug reports with support. We're moving in a good direction there as well.

I'm going to reach out directly to discuss some of your specific issues.

@DavidOrtinau said:
    Lots of stability improvements in there. We've been very aggressively working open bug reports with support. We're moving in a good direction there as well.

DO NOT UPDATE TO VS2017RC

Can't make a new Xamarin solution. Can't select solution type (PCL/Shared). Solution templates are hosed (per every time)
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/89979/do-not-update-vs2017rc/p1?new=1

• MiguelCervantesMiguelCervantes MXMember ✭✭✭

@ClintStLaurent said:

@DavidOrtinau said:
    Lots of stability improvements in there. We've been very aggressively working open bug reports with support. We're moving in a good direction there as well.

DO NOT UPDATE TO VS2017RC

Can't make a new Xamarin solution. Can't select solution type (PCL/Shared). Solution templates are hosed (per every time)
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/89979/do-not-update-vs2017rc/p1?new=1

Its a RC you shouldn't consider it as an UPDATE, its just for testing.

I'm having a problem with Android (Appcompat) and a TabbedPage, all of the childs onAppearing are triggered when I swipe them, is this the intended functionality?

@MiguelCervantes said:
    Its a RC you shouldn't consider it as an UPDATE, its just for testing.

That was bad verbiage on my part. It should have said, "Do not update working VS2017RC", or "Do not update to VS2017RC"

As I said on the post that link goes to:

If your VS2017RC is making new Xamarin solutions DO NOT UPDATE IT.

I didn't mean to imply 2017 as an update to 2015. But rather the latest update for 2017 is busted. I was in such a hurry to put the warning out I kinda typo'ed the headline and now can't edit the post (>4 hours later).

• BrightLeeBrightLee KRMember ✭✭✭
    edited March 4

I also think Xamarin team has been aggressively working open bug report with support.
    And they're listening and discuss altogether as possible as they can.

I understand someone who is tired. I am too.
    But once I imagine how this Xamarin is built, we can imagine so many bugs pops up on every different devices and platform. I think it's an endless job.
    I like Xamarin and want to say thanks to them.

• @dpedrinha said:
    .But I'm 'this' close to go native.

What this guy said.

I know you Xamarin fellers are good nature fellars and have a lot of intelligence behind you. I don't know what you're testing in or how your environments are set up - but it's been an amazing and challenging journey for me to release my apps using Xamarin. Your bugs and places where your platform goes sideways on a developer needs to be addressed. You know what they are.

At first I was grateful for the challenge. It made me a stronger and better developer. It did. I will always appreciate this platform for that experience. It made me UNDERSTAND what was being assembled and processed. It was almost morale defeating to come across cryptic and ungooglable errors - but I prevailed. "Damn it, I love this platform and this is doable! Regardless of silence and barren stackoverflow threads!" is what I thought as I pressed to release my applications.

Now, I'm worn out. I got really excited about seeing updates to Xamarin.Forms. I upgraded everything believing in you guys. Now...things go silent and weird for me. Me, being a semi-novice and psuedo intermediate developer, can't even explain what the hell is going on. I just know that intellisense isn't working and god knows what else is lurking beyond my vision.

I'm going to sit and ponder about this, but it really feels deflating and a bit like being betrayed. I mean, objective c is nasty looking to my eyes, but I do not think I would leave so frustrated after assembling a code base.

• AnatoliiBAnatoliiB USUniversity ✭✭

can someone advise what to do with this issue after updating to latest Xamarin?

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly '/Users//Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Devices/2096BE71-5E72-4292-B61C-2CA47177E88B/data/Containers/Bundle/Application/A536F063-475E-4AB6-A852-BA098F8EA7F4/.app/en/.resources.dll' or one of its dependencies