Xamarin.Forms 2.3.3.193

• KirKir USMember ✭✭

Master Detail Page is displayed incorrectly after update to 2.3.3.168.

• voidvoid DKBeta ✭✭✭

@DirkWilhelm said:
    What happened to the thread about the new 2.3.4-pre1? There was one yesterday, now it is gone?

I would like to know as well.

• rmarinhormarinho PTMember, Insider, Beta Xamurai
    edited November 2016

We had some issues and looking at that release again. We will try to put it up again soon next week.
    Sorry by the inconvenience.

• dpedrinhadpedrinha DEMember ✭✭✭

And so the red underlined InitializeComponent() bug is back. UNBELIEVABLE!

• TheosTheos NLBeta ✭✭
    edited November 2016

@JeffDalby said:
    Just tried the new 2.3.3.168 stable, and it still completely breaks us on iOS. Visibility changes sometimes don't happen, content views with a different background color and a bit of padding to make a border around other views don't draw if they weren't visible when the page is created,

I'm having issues as well with the background color of elements. Some elements are 'losing' the background color when they are binded with the IsVisibleProperty which then changed from false to true. So after becoming visible from non-visible, they have lost their background color.

edit: after going back to 2.3.2.127 these problems disappeared. Will stay on 2.3.2.127 for now.

• WiktorKonckiWiktorKoncki USMember ✭✭

Is there a reason why android dependencies for forms are kept on such old versions? This makes installing any other libraries a bit of a pain.

• MaamounMaamoun LBMember ✭✭

@WiktorKoncki said:
    Is there a reason why android dependencies for forms are kept on such old versions? This makes installing any other libraries a bit of a pain.

+1

• AdrianKnightAdrianKnight USMember ✭✭✭✭
  • @ErikRenaud.2326 @StephaneDelcroix did you resolve the issue? I'm having similar problems when
    a) using a bindable property with generic return type, eg Layout
    b) setting an attached property using markup extension, eg local:Page2.AttachedProperty="{local:ToUpper foo}"

I have attached a test project to reproduce the issue. Tested with Xamarin.Forms 2.3.3.168. This DID work with XF 2.3.2

• StephaneDelcroixStephaneDelcroix USInsider, Beta ✭✭✭✭

@DominikWeber.1641:

If this does not solve the issue in your case, please say so

• @StephaneDelcroix Interesting, I was under the impression that we should use the non-generic version like with BindableProperty.Create. I did change my code and it indeed solves the issue, thank you!
    However generic bindable properties still do not work (see updated sample project). Any advice for this? Is this no longer supported/recommended?

• dpedrinhadpedrinha DEMember ✭✭✭

@Maamoun said:

@WiktorKoncki said:

+1

+1

@DominikWeber.1641:
    The generic version of BP.Create and SetBinding are frowned upon not because of the generics, but because they use an Expression that need to be parsed at startup of the app, and that is really expensive on iOS and android.

Regarding your issue: I have no workaround in mind at this moment, except declaring your BP to be of type StackLayout, but I have a fix https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/566

• AhmedAlejoAhmedAlejo USMember ✭✭
    edited November 2016

@MichaelRumpler said:

What's even more important: @AdrianKnight invested a lot of work to write all those PRs - not only this one. His name pops up more often in the list of PRs than any Xamarin employee.

I actually got to a point that i thought @AdrianKnight was the new hire on the Xamarin.Forms team to Squish all those bugs, i was really happy;
    then i found him confronting the @TheRealJasonSmith on rejecting a PR with a not so acceptable reason.

True talk now: I really think Xamarin.Forms should be re-written just like Angular 2 was after some years of realizing it was worth it. I really think the Xamarin.Forms are doing this(a re-write) privately and maybe the reason they don´t seem to give enough attention to software and tool stability.

• @StephaneDelcroix awesome, thanks! :)

• huangjinshehuangjinshe USMember ✭✭✭

@AhmedAlejo said:

@MichaelRumpler said:

What's even more important: @AdrianKnight invested a lot of work to write all those PRs - not only this one. His name pops up more often in the list of PRs than any Xamarin employee.

I actually got to a point that i thought @AdrianKnight was the new hire on the Xamarin.Forms team to Squish all those bugs, i was really happy;
    then i found him confronting the @TheRealJasonSmith on rejecting a PR with a not so acceptable reason.

True talk now: I really think Xamarin.Forms should be re-written just like Angular 2 was after some years of realizing it was worth it. I really think the Xamarin.Forms are doing this(a re-write) privately and maybe the reason they don´t seem to give enough attention to software and tool stability.

Maybe that would be the best choice. We can't take too much BUG like now.

@Theos @JeffDalby can you please provide some sample code, we aren't able to reproduce it .

Thanks

• FranciscoGGFranciscoGG ESMember ✭✭

@Theos said:

@JeffDalby said:
    Just tried the new 2.3.3.168 stable, and it still completely breaks us on iOS. Visibility changes sometimes don't happen, content views with a different background color and a bit of padding to make a border around other views don't draw if they weren't visible when the page is created,

I'm having issues as well with the background color of elements. Some elements are 'losing' the background color when they are binded with the IsVisibleProperty which then changed from false to true. So after becoming visible from non-visible, they have lost their background color.

edit: after going back to 2.3.2.127 these problems disappeared. Will stay on 2.3.2.127 for now.

Please, we need a release which fixes these bugs, I can't believe it...

• BjornBBjornB USMember ✭✭✭

Was 2.3.3.4 pre 1 removed because of insane unstability? Im using it and im getting lots of unmanaged code crashes.. with stacktraces that means nothing to me

@BjornB Please provide that info in bugzilla so we can properly track it down.. Sample, and stack traces are be super helpful.

We also identified the issue with BackgroundColor missing sometimes on iOS on 2.3.3 and we are testing the fix now will try to ship a hotfix ASAP.

Thanks.

• ksachdevaksachdeva USMember ✭✭

Just updated and faced the Background color on iOS. Also some of the listviews on iOS are looking bad now.

• BjornBBjornB USMember ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

@rmarinho said:
    @BjornB Please provide that info in bugzilla so we can properly track it down.. Sample, and stack traces are be super helpful.

We also identified the issue with BackgroundColor missing sometimes on iOS on 2.3.3 and we are testing the fix now will try to ship a hotfix ASAP.

Thanks.

Il post the bugzilla links here when its done. Im curious why you decided to remove 2.3.4 from nuget

@ksachdeva can you provide some info of ListView issues you are seeing in 2.3.3 ? thanks.

• bdlbdl DKMember ✭✭

I have had some list issues with text that wraps outside its cell in iOS (I'm using TextCell)

• JeffDalbyJeffDalby USUniversity ✭✭

@rmarinho said:

Thanks.

I'm back at the office, I take it you don't need code to reproduce this anymore. Looking forward to the fix.

Hey @JeffDalby the BackgroundColor issues we already have a fix, but can you reproduce a example where you are getting "null reference exceptions" with Modal?

• OddbjornBakkeOddbjornBakke NOMember ✭✭
    edited November 2016

@rmarinho said:
    @ksachdeva can you provide some info of ListView issues you are seeing in 2.3.3 ? thanks.

We also found some bugs on ListViews running on iOS.
    The first one is quite important, as it might hide some important results for the user.

On 2.3.3 I have only testet in the simulator, but on 2.3.2 we got the bugs also on our devices.

First:
    If the listview has pulltorefresh, and is refreshing, and you then click on a entry, strange things might happend.
    It seems a little better on 2.3.3.168, but when I click on the entry, then on a refresh button, the result is unaligned.

Second:
    If the RefreshCommand returns false on CanExecute, the spinner will start, but nothing else will happen.

Third:
    If the RefreshCommand CanExecute changes during the pull to refresh, it will kill the spinner.

For some code to reproduce the bugs, se:
    https://gist.github.com/oddbear/903b9c30aecc1e7067b9dfd709038cdb

• MiguelCervantesMiguelCervantes MXMember ✭✭✭

Is CarouselView included in this release?

• JeffDalbyJeffDalby USUniversity ✭✭

@rmarinho said:
    Hey @JeffDalby the BackgroundColor issues we already have a fix, but can you reproduce a example where you are getting "null reference exceptions" with Modal?

Ok, so I've spent most of the morning trying to come up with a way to consistently duplicate this but so far haven't had any luck. I seem to have been able to narrow it down to pages with listviews that have the CachingStrategy set to RecycleElement. So far at least in my testing if I set it to RetainElement the crashes seem to stop. I can't say with 100% certainty that is the fix since the crash has been random. I can say that I've never been able to make it crash on a page without a listview, and that I've not yet been able to make it crash on a page that it had previously been crashing on after changing to RetainElement.

Regardless of the page or content of the listview on the page the crash is always identical. From HockeyApp here's what it has been:

Exception Type: SIGABRT
    Exception Codes: #0 at 0x10e9fddda
    Crashed Thread: 0

Application Specific Information:
    *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object', reason: 'System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at (wrapper managed-to-native) UIKit.UIApplication:UIApplicationMain (int,string[],intptr,intptr)
    at UIKit.UIApplication.Main (System.String[] args, System.IntPtr principal, System.IntPtr delegate) [0x00005] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/3969/44931ae8/source/xamarin-macios/src/UIKit/UIApplication.cs:79
    at UIKit.UIApplication.Main (System.String[] args, System.String principalClassName, System.String delegateClassName) [0x00038] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/3969/44931ae8/source/xamarin-macios/src/UIKit/UIApplication.cs:63
    at WeFeelXamarin.iOS.Application.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00001] in C:\source\WeFeelX\WeFeelXamarin\WeFeelXamarin.iOS\Main.cs:17 '

Let me know if the backtrace info would help.

• deckertron9000deckertron9000 USUniversity ✭✭✭

Does 2.3.3 break Theming for anyone else? I'm running into an issue where The DarkThemeResources is trying to use an old version of SimpleValueTargetProvider and it's crashing with a method not found exception when I try to merge that dictionary into my own.

@StephaneDelcroix I think you were the one that actually made the changes for the SimpleValueTargetProvider constructor, can you shed any light on this?

@deckertron9000 can you give more info on what you're doing to get the exception ?

@StephaneDelcroix Sure thing! I'm using Xamarin.Forms 2.3.3.168 and Xamarin.Forms.Themes 1.0.0.43-pre1 with a UAP project.

I have a ResourceDictionary named DarkResourceDictionary (xaml) that I instantiate when my app starts up. This dictionary declares in xaml that it should be merged with the Xamarin.Forms.Theme.Dark.DarkThemeResources. When it tries to call the constructor on the DarkThemeResources I get a MissingMethodException referring to the constructor

SimpleValueTargetProvider(object[] objectAndParents)

I looked at the source for X.F 2.3.3.168 and it looks like SimpleValueTargetProvider had its constructor updated to look like

SimpleValueTargetProvider(object[] objectAndParents, object targetProperty). 

I suspect the Themes packages are still expecting the old constructor to exist.

The actual exception is nested three deep and looks like so:

outer exception
    at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
    at Xamarin.Forms.ResourceDictionary.set_MergedWith(Type value)

middle exception
    at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
    at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
    at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
    at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
    at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type)
    at Xamarin.Forms.ResourceDictionary.GetInstance(Type type)

inner exception
    at Xamarin.Forms.Themes.DarkThemeResources.InitializeComponent()
    at Xamarin.Forms.Themes.DarkThemeResources..ctor()

• MichaelRumplerMichaelRumpler ATMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmarinho said:
    the BackgroundColor issues we already have a fix

I tried to update from 2.3.2.127 to 2.3.3.168. BackgroundColor works, but I get an error with ToolbarItem.Icon instead

DocNavigationPage.xaml(18,7): error : Position 18:7. No property, bindable property, or event found for 'Icon'

This is the related xaml:

<ToolbarItem Text="OpenFile" x:Name="OpenFileToolbarItem"
                     Command="{Binding OpenFileCommand}"
                     Priority="{x:Static common:Numbers.ToolbarItemPriority1}"
                     Icon="{x:Static common:Images.OpenFile}" />

I tried in both iOS and Android.

Hopefully this is the same problem as BackgroundColor and it is already fixed and just not released.

• VulcanVulcan TWMember ✭✭✭

I got error : System.MissingMethodException: Method 'Xamarin.Forms.Xaml.Internals.SimpleValueTargetProvider..ctor' not found.

But when I disable XamlCompilationOptions.Compile, every thing is working fine.

Like following

<br />//[assembly: XamlCompilation(XamlCompilationOptions.Compile)]

@Vulcan I explicitly changed XamlCompilation to be skipped in all of my assemblies and I am still seeing this exception.

@StephaneDelcroix I noticed someone else had opened a bug about this so I added my repro to the ticket.

@deckertron9000 it's because the Themes are compiled. I'm reenabling backward compatibility for those.

@StephaneDelcroix Awesome, thanks for your time!

@Vulcan make sure all your projects are up-to-date to the latest version

• ChristianSvrdChristianSvrd SEMember ✭✭✭

I get the error "Unable to create layer for ActivityIndicatorRenderer" in android after upgarding to this version, rolling back.

• huangjinshehuangjinshe USMember ✭✭✭

Xamarin.Forms team, I don't know what kind of big feature your're guys doing, but currently big problem for us are: Memory leak and Listview and some performance problems....(for UWP for me)

I hope you leader change the priority of the things. If we can't even use it normal, why we would use some kind of big feature?