Stable Channel: Cycle 8 Feature Release, iOS 10 and Xcode 8 SDK Bindings

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited September 2016 in General

Please see https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-cycle-8-w-ios-10-and-xcode8-support/ for the details about this release, including the steps to update or downgrade as needed.

This is a major feature release. Our thanks to all the users who tried the Beta versions and reported bugs! Many of those issues have been resolved in these latest builds. As a caution, there are still a number of those bugs that have not yet been resolved and have been moved to the follow-up bug fix releases. This release to the Stable Channel is primarily aimed at providing the best correspondence to the available Xcode 8 Final versions for users who follow a routine of prompt feature release updates. If you are not updating to Xcode 8 yet, you can optionally wait to update to Xamarin Cycle 8 versions until one of the follow-up bug fix releases.

Bug reports wanted!

• Please file a quick bug report using the "Cycle 8" new bug form if you see any behavior that looks suspicious in these versions (and if it isn't clear whether one of the known issues in the release notes matches the problem).

• If you get any errors when using the form to submit, please select the All Products option and choose the desired product.
  • Comment in this forum thread if your question is not related to a suspicious behavior after installation, but instead one of the following:

• You notice an error in the Release Blog post.
    • You have trouble downloading one of the installer packages.

Higher-visibility known issues from reports before the release to the Stable Channel

(These issues will be addressed in the follow-up bug fix releases.)

• [Xamarin for Visual Studio] - Upstream non-standard behavior of NuGet Package Manager extension (Xamarin tracking bug 44146) triggered by XamarinVS 4.2 - "GetFullVsVersionString must be called on the UI thread" error appears when attempting to open Manage NuGet Packages for Solution, blocking the use of the NuGet package manager on certain systems

• Temporary workaround: Install this small extension from the Xamarin VS team that will force the NuGet Package Manager to load before the Xamarin extensions.

• Alternate temporary workaround: Before opening any projects, open Tools > NuGet Package Manager > Package Manager Settings to force the NuGet Package Manager extension to load before the Xamarin extensions.

• [Xamarin.iOS] - 44225 - "Error: TrustFailure (CertificateUnknown)" when using Apple TLS handler to access HTTPS servers that use virtual domains (via Server Name Indication).

• Partial temporary workaround: Under Project Options > iOS Build, change the SSL/TLS implementation setting back to the old default Mono (TLS v1.0).
  • [Xamarin for Visual Studio], [Xamarin Studio] - 43566 - The iOS Designer initialization process will cause any running iOS 10 simulator to become non-responsive. The designer initialization happens when opening an iOS project in Xamarin Studio and during the connection to the remote Mac in Visual Studio. This issue does not affect Xcode 7.3, iOS 9.3 (and lower) simulators.

• Workaround: Quit and restart the simulator after the designer has initialized. You can then proceed to use the simulator again as normal.
  • [Xamarin.Android] - 44268 - "Unexpected libzip error: Inval" when building projects that reference any of the Android Support Libraries on Windows if the user name contains any accented characters.

• Temporary workaround: Create and log in with a Windows user account that has only ASCII letters in the user name.

• Alternate workaround: Add a XAMARIN_CACHEPATH environment variable under Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Environment Variables, and set it to a path that uses only ASCII letters in the directory names.

• [Xamarin.Android] - 44184 - "The "BuildApk" task failed unexpectedly. Xamarin.Tools.Zip.ZipException: Entry has been changed" when attempting to archive or deploy apps that use certain NuGet packages.

• [Xamarin.UITest] - Xcode 8 removes the UI Automation API, causing "SetUp : System.InvalidOperationException : Sequence contains no matching element ... at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[TSource] ... at Xamarin.UITest.iOS.Instruments.GetAutomationTemplatePath ()" when attempting to use UITest locally.

• Candidate fix: Update to the Xamarin.UITest 2.0.0 Beta prerelease, which is based on Calabash 0.20 and includes a new API that uses XCUITest rather than UI Automation.

• Alternate temporary workaround: Keep using Xcode 7, or just keep Xcode 7 installed in the default location and unpack Xcode 8 side-by-side to a custom location.

Higher-visibility intentional changes

• [Xamarin.iOS] - "Error MT0091: This version of Xamarin.iOS requires the iOS 10.0 SDK (shipped with Xcode 8.0) when the managed linker is disabled. Either upgrade Xcode, or enable the managed linker." This message will appear when building using Xcode 7.3 or older with Xamarin.iOS 10. The issue arises because Xamarin.iOS 10 is built to include the Xcode 8 symbols. When enabled, the Xamarin managed linker can remove these unused symbols to allow building successfully against older versions of Xcode.

• Fix: Update to Xcode 8, or enable the Xamarin linker by choosing a setting other than Don't link under Project properties > iOS Build > Linker behavior.
  • [Xamarin for Visual Studio] - Build > Export Android Package (.apk) and Tools > Android > Publish Android App have been replace by the Build > Archive command that is part of the new Android Archive Manager and Publishing workflow.

Running tally of user-submitted bug reports starting after the publication to the Stable Channel on September 13

The Xamarin team is working to review each newly submitted bug to update its status from NEW.

NEW  Reviewed
Xamarin.Android            10   8
Xamarin.iOS                4    23
Xamarin.Mac                1    0
Visual Studio Extensions   13   22
Xamarin Studio             13   24
Mono                       3    6

Totals                     44   83

(This is a snapshot of the live report from Bugzilla as of September 26 19:03 UTC. It will be updated periodically.)

Bug report tally updates

• September 26 19:03 UTC: 44 NEW bugs, 83 reviewed bugs
  • September 22 18:54 UTC: 31 NEW bugs, 69 reviewed bugs
  • September 20 22:55 UTC: 23 NEW bugs, 58 reviewed bugs
  • September 19 22:30 UTC: 21 NEW bugs, 50 reviewed bugs
  • September 16 24:23 UTC: 13 NEW bugs, 33 reviewed bugs
  • September 15 20:56 UTC: 14 NEW bugs, 23 reviewed bugs
  • September 14 20:56 UTC: 9 NEW bugs, 8 reviewed bugs

• AdamPAdamP AUUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016

And I also experience this issue: 44227: GetFullVsVersionString must be called on the UI thread

Makes NuGet completely unusable. Haven't found a workaround yet, had to downgrade to 4.1.2.

When you downgrade your MEF Cache will also get corrupted, so go to %localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\ComponentModelCache and delete everything in there. Otherwise your iOS projects won't load.

• TomPeerTomPeer USMember ✭✭

Hello.

I installed the new version and if I try to use build-tools 24.0.2 and target sdk 24 I get the same issue that is reported here:

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/76798/compiler-issue-with-targetsdkversion-24-and-jdk-1-8

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016

After updating my android project became "Incompatible"

I have found a quick fix outlined here

So i delete everything in the C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\ComponentModelCache folder and then open visual studio and it works.

I then close down visual studio and reopen and suddenly it is broken again.

Is this a bug?

I have attached the activitylog.xml

• AndrewMobileAndrewMobile USMember ✭✭✭✭

Not sure to which product/technology within Xamarin is related, but I got some issues: https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/77357/issues-with-xamarin-forms-2-3-2-127-released-today-sept-14/p1?new=1

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016

-Deleted-

• JonathanDibbleJonathanDibble GBMember ✭✭

The latest release will not deploy my android app to either a device or to a simulator (Xamarin Android Player).

In the Deploying to Device window I get

Deployment failed because of an internal error: Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_DEXOPT]
    Deployment failed. Internal error.

Any help in resolving this issue?

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭

@JonathanDibble have you updated your Android sdk?

• The following is shown when trying to open Storyboard from Xamarin Studio in MAC. Last stable update and also Xcode 8 update made today. Is there a workaround?

This version does not have support for files saved in Xcode 8 format.

• xCyborgxCyborg USMember ✭✭

I filed 2 bug reports, I know it's mostly iOS and Xcode now but I hope you take a look at it before Stable release, because this concerns the Installer.
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=44288
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=44289

• CyrilCathalaCyrilCathala FRMember ✭✭

@Lostinmyworld said:
    The following is shown when trying to open Storyboard from Xamarin Studio in MAC. Last stable update and also Xcode 8 update made today. Is there a workaround?

I have the same issue, after editing my storyboard within Xcode 8, can't edit it in Xamarin Studio.

@JKAy I installed the installation sets that XamarinStudio provided me and nothing else

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016

@JonathanDibble try updating the android SDK

Xamarin Studio:

Tools -> Sdk Manager -> then just install packages / updates

Visual Studio

Tools -> Android -> Android SDK Manager -> again just install packages / updates

I also had what sounds like a similar problem

• @CyrilCathala said:

@Lostinmyworld said:
    The following is shown when trying to open Storyboard from Xamarin Studio in MAC. Last stable update and also Xcode 8 update made today. Is there a workaround?

I have the same issue, after editing my storyboard within Xcode 8, can't edit it in Xamarin Studio.

Same issue

• 15mgm1515mgm15 USMember ✭✭✭

@JKay Thanks for the solution!

• jzeferinojzeferino USUniversity ✭✭

Getting this error creating a bug via the suggested form.

There is no version named '6.1.0 (C8)' in the 'Forms' product.

• 15mgm1515mgm15 USMember ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016

Here is another thread for the "Deployment failed because of an internal error: Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_DEXOPT]" Android error:

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/77142/help-with-new-deployment-issue-for-my-forms-app-install-failed-dexopt-from-xamarin-studio

edited September 2016

@JKay I followed your suggestion, it still fails to deploy

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Thanks for the heads-up! That should now be fixed.

• RajivGognaRajivGogna GBUniversity
    edited September 2016

Hi,

I just upgraded to Cycle 8, and upgraded my ios environment too. Deployment on ios works fine. But when I set my Droid project as the startup, it no longer recognises my phone (USB attached) or my Xamarin Android Player. The Start button just says Start, no options. Haven't changed anything and before the update I was deploying and debugging fine. Please help!

EDIT: After six or seven VS restarts it now seems back to normal... Weird

• ZontagZontag BRMember ✭✭

It's amazing! Now, that nothing works like we all already wait, HOW TO DOWNGRADE?

edited September 2016

HOW TO DOWNGRADE?

See the "Updating and downgrading" section on the Release Blog post. Let me also get the store.xamarin.com team to refresh the Looking for the version before links to point to Cycle 7 for a bit better convenience of grabbing all the corresponding versions. I'll get that rolling now.

(As mentioned in the top post, see the blog "for the details about this release, including the steps to update or downgrade as needed.")

@Lostinmyworld, @CyrilCathala, @KelseyKjeldsen

Definitely do file a bug report for that as soon as you get a chance so the engineering team can start investigating. I checked Bugzilla quickly, and that error isn't mentioned in any bugs yet, so a new bug report will be perfect. Thanks much!

• cyrusacyrusa ZAMember

@BrendanZagaeski i am really confused, this is mostly for windows downgrade, i have Xamarin studio for Mac since the update today i can't get the simulator to run it bombs out without an error so i can't run my project anymore the build works fine i have tried everything, so now where can i find a downgrade instruction for XS for mac? i need a solution asap please

edited September 2016

To downgrade, you'll want to download and install the August 1 version of each of the following on Mac:

• Xamarin.iOS
    • Xamarin.Android
    • Xamarin.Mac (if you're using it)
    • Xamarin Studio
    • Mono

(In other words, each of the products listed under "Products Released" on the blog post that is available on Mac.)

On Windows, if you're using Visual Studio you only need the Xamarin.VisualStudio*.msi. If you're using Xamarin Studio on Windows, you'll also want to download and install the old version of Xamarin Studio.

(In other words, each of the products listed under "Products Released" on the blog post that is available on Windows.)

@BrendanZagaeski said:

@Lostinmyworld, @CyrilCathala, @KelseyKjeldsen

Definitely do file a bug report for that as soon as you get a chance so the engineering team can start investigating. I checked Bugzilla quickly, and that error isn't mentioned in any bugs yet, so a new bug report will be perfect. Thanks much!

I have tried to submit a bug, but I can't submit to bugzilla, I get this message: "There is no version named 'XI 10.0 (iOS 10)' in the 'iOS' product."

edited September 2016

There is no version named 'XI 10.0 (iOS 10)' in the 'iOS' product

@CyrilCathala,

ACK! Let me have them fix that submission form. In the mean time, you can file for Xamarin.iOS directly via:

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=iOS&version=XI+10.0+(iOS10)&component=General&target_milestone=10.0.1+(C8SR1)

Update: The submission form is now fixed. Thanks for the heads-up!

• GuyProvostGuyProvost CAMember ✭✭✭

Just update to last stable channel and app taht was ok so far crashes... I see the splashscreen but can't reach any breakpoint of the startup activity ? Any pointers ?

• We were aiming to release tomorrow and were performing final testing when iOS 10 was released.

We encountered a critical bug with the layouts and saw that an update to address this was in Cycle 8.

We upgraded from Cycle 7 to Cycle 8 and have encountered a lot of issues but one in particular is now completely blocking our ability to even build.

I've created a bug here and attached a sample to it: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=44343

This has now halted our ability to build OR release.

We can't go back to cycle 7 because it locks up on iOS 10 devices and we can no longer build because cycle 8 can't get past this compile error.

Help!

• CliffCawleySkeduloCliffCawleySkedulo USMember ✭✭
    edited September 2016

@BrendanZagaeski Also I tried to use the updated form but I just get an error that the component hasn't been selected, so I had to fill out the form manually instead. I didn't know which milestone to set so left it as master, which I think is wrong :(

If you get the message "This version does not have support for files saved in Xcode 8 format." after editing a storyboard with Xcode 8, here is a partial workaround:
    1. Open the storyboard once more in Xcode 8.
    2. Under the storyboard properties, change "Opens In" to "Xcode 7.x".

Source: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=44330

• @CyrilCathala said:
    If you get the message "This version does not have support for files saved in Xcode 8 format." after editing a storyboard with Xcode 8, here is a partial workaround:

If I do that, I must have Xcode 7.x also in Mac, right? Xcode does not have backwards compatibility? Really now?

Well, if I change that it is true that Xamarin Studio does open the Storyboard, but Xcode 8 not, it insists to change compatibility to Xcode 8 only. So, if I install Xcode 7.x the issue will be resolved (I hope). Am I correct?

Thank you for your swift answers!!

• CallanHodgskin.3020CallanHodgskin.3020 AUUniversity ✭✭

Hi all,

Since upgrading I have noticed a warning with the Android build. I can reproduce by creating a new Android blank app and a new Class Library (Portable). Add ref the Class Library to the Android app and then build.

I swear this didn't happen before the latest update, but I'm about to downgrade to find out for sure.

Found conflicts between different versions of the same dependent assembly. In Visual Studio, double-click this warning (or select it and press Enter) to fix the conflicts; otherwise, add the following binding redirects to the "runtime" node in the application configuration file: <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1"><dependentAssembly><assemblyIdentity name="System.Runtime" culture="neutral" publicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a" /><bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-4.1.0.0" newVersion="4.1.0.0" /></dependentAssembly></assemblyBinding>

It's a nuisance on my development box but I think it is causing actual errors on my build box.

Any advice would be appreciated!

• CallanHodgskin.3020CallanHodgskin.3020 AUUniversity ✭✭
    edited September 2016

Can someone help me out with a link to the Cycle 7 installer, so I can downgrade?

EDIT: nevermind, found the 'all versions' link.

• jzeferinojzeferino USUniversity ✭✭

@jzeferino said:

This was solved today.

• RajivGognaRajivGogna GBUniversity
    edited September 2016

Is anyone else getting issues with deploying to both ios and android? Randomly sometimes detects if devices/emulators are attached and sometimes not, for both... Can't really test anything at the moment!

EDIT: It looks like when you change the startup project it no longer realises it's changed and refreshes to the new OS. Eg I have it on Droid, deploy okay, then switch to IOS and I now see no devices. But if I close VS and open again with IOS as the startup, then (after a very long time) it realises it's IOS and shows the emulator options. It's still very sporadic whether or not it actually does deploy on the ios simulator, sometimes just stops midway through

• @Lostinmyworld said:

@CyrilCathala said:

If I do that, I must have Xcode 7.x also in Mac, right? Xcode does not have backwards compatibility? Really now?

Well, if I change that it is true that Xamarin Studio does open the Storyboard, but Xcode 8 not, it insists to change compatibility to Xcode 8 only. So, if I install Xcode 7.x the issue will be resolved (I hope). Am I correct?

Thank you for your swift answers!!

I did setup Xcode 7.3.1 and successfully opened Storyboard with Xcode AND with Xamarin Studio. But...

MTOUCH: Error MT0091: This version of Xamarin.iOS requires the iOS 10.0 SDK (shipped with Xcode 8.0) when the managed linker is disabled. Either upgrade Xcode, or enable the managed linker.

^This shows after build. When set in iOS Project Linker to an option other to 'Don't Link' this stops to show.
    Instead the debugger decides never to connect to either ios10 or ios9.2 simulator.

Sooooo, it's a trap. Any workaround? Or do I have to install Xamarin Studio previous version for Mac??

• GuyProvostGuyProvost CAMember ✭✭✭

@GuyProvost said:
    Just update to last stable channel and app taht was ok so far crashes... I see the splashscreen but can't reach any breakpoint of the startup activity ? Any pointers ?

Ok, just installed the update 3 of VS, rebooted and app works...

• rwebbrwebb GBMember

Hi all,

I've just tried to run a project that tries to P/Invoke asl_log on Mac OS Sierra and got a crash. I'm guessing this might be related to the issue #43541 mentioned on the mono 4.6 release notes on releases.xamarin.com (crashing when calling NSLog/os_log), though I can't be sure as I can't access the bugzilla entry for it.

I tried to do the suggested AOT workaround by running mono --aot on the app but that doesn't make a difference. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong there, or if there is another problem?

This is all working fine on El Capitan :-(

• MichaelRumplerMichaelRumpler ATMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I the only one who cannot debug a PCL project on a physical iOS device anymore?
    I opened bug #44366.

Also I tried to use the updated form but I just get an error that the component hasn't been selected, so I had to fill out the form manually instead. I didn't know which milestone to set so left it as master, which I think is wrong :(

Ick. I haven't seen that come up before with the form. I'll make sure the team fully reviews and updates the behavior of form for the next release. In the mean time, I've added fallback instructions to the first post in the thread:

If you get any errors when using the form to submit, please select the All Products option and choose the desired product.

This discussion has been closed.