Compiling error

EnricoRossiniEnricoRossini USMember ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in Visual Studio

Hi guys,
on Visual Studio 2015 and Xamarin Studio on Mac I'm receiving an error when I compile my project for iOS.

Error while reading 'C:\Projects\Portico.myInventories\myInventories\myInventories.iOS\obj\iPhone\Debug\myInventoriesiOS.exe': Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Projects\Portico.myInventories\myInventories\myInventories.iOS\obj\iPhone\Debug\myInventoriesiOS.exe'.

As a suggestion Visual Studio shows this link http://www.bing.com/search?q=Metadata++C%23+Error+while+reading%3a+Could+not+find+a+part+of+the+path.&form=VSHELP

On Max I deleted this folder and the solution is compiled correctly. On Visual Studio I can't avoid this error.

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

1) Why two different IDEs? If you have Visual Studio just use that. The Mac can be nothing more than a build machine at compile time. It can be in a closet for all it matters. There is no need to use Xamarin Studio on the Mac.
    2) If you _are _going to try to open the same Solution file from both both environments don't do it at the same time.
    3) Before you close the solution in Visual Studio, be sure to perform a 'clean' on the solution. That will force the Mac to rebuild. Remember the Mac has no concept of drive "c:\" etc.
    4) Personally I would never keep my projects on the "c:" drive. There are far too many permissions and security emplacements. Move your project to a second drive.
    5) I assume you are sharing the directory with the project, and opening over the network from your Mac. Make sure you have read/write permissions to the folder. Read-only won't cut it.

• EnricoRossiniEnricoRossini USMember ✭✭✭✭

HI @ClintStLaurent
    thank you for your comment. I'm following those rules but sometimes I like to try new things to resolve issues :)
    I restarted Visual Studio, deleted the obj folder under iOS project and now it's working fine

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

I should have mentioned that one. Sorry. Visual Studio definately falls under that line from "The I.T. Crowd": 'Have you tried turning it off and back on again?'

• EnricoRossiniEnricoRossini USMember ✭✭✭✭

:smiley: