Build Failures after Visual Studio Update 3

TaylorTaylor USMember ✭✭

This is with a simple PCL Project with no code changes at all

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error Can not resolve reference: C:/Program Files (x86)/Reference Assemblies/Microsoft/Framework/Xamarin.iOS/v1.0/Facades/System.IO.FileSystem.Watcher.dll I1Vector.iOS

How does this get fixed?

• viniciuscmaiaviniciuscmaia USMember

My teammate had the same issu after update

• KennethBaileyKennethBailey USMember

Confirmed, I have this issue as well and I just updated, 1 hour ago. No code changes.

edited August 2016

I fixed this by uninstalling xamarin and reinstalling. I know this may not be practical for everyone. I think the issue was that I did the latest xamarin update and THEN did the VS update 3. Really shouldn't be an issue, but it's the only solution I have right now. An unisntall and reinstall of xamarin might work for you.

EDIT: Nope, still Can't resolve reference. wow.

• TaylorTaylor USMember ✭✭

I did a repair on xamarin, then repair on visual studio 2015, then I saw there was a KB update for Update 3. After all that, cleaned the project rebuilt, rebooted and simple project worked.

• I has the same issue. VS2015, Xamarin.Forms with PCL, iOS project, trying debug in simulator - getting:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Xamarin\iOS\Xamarin.iOS.Common.targets(681,3): error : Can not resolve reference: C:/Program Files (x86)/Reference Assemblies/Microsoft/Framework/Xamarin.iOS/v1.0/Facades/System.IO.FileSystem.Watcher.dll

Yes and the steps I outlined fixed it for me, did it not work for you?

• KEsKEs USMember
    edited August 2016

I had the exact same issue. After spending a couple of hours, I found out that the issue happened because of different versions of Xamarin.iOS on my development and mac machine. By updating Xamarin through Xamarin Studio, the problem was solved.

• swaightswaight AUMember

As Kaveh says, make sure your Mac has all the latest bits on it too - this solved my issue.

• DavidLaundav.0631DavidLaundav.0631 USUniversity ✭✭

If you're running into this problem, just make sure both your Mac and Windows are running the same version of Xamarin.iOS.

Yes, that fixes it

@KEs said:
    I had the exact same issue. After spending a couple of hours, I found out that the issue happened because of different versions of Xamarin.iOS on my development and mac machine. By updating Xamarin through Xamarin Studio, the problem was solved.

Thank you! Problem solved.

• Beachside_JasonBeachside_Jason USMember ✭✭

So much time spent googling random build issues, so little time spent actually coding. Thanks for the tip gents!

• LanceMcCarthyLanceMcCarthy USMember ✭✭

Thank you guys! I was about to give up for the day :)

• After updated IOS mac its working fine on my end. :)

• AlanAndersonAlanAnderson USUniversity ✭✭

Updating the Mac fixed it for me. Apparently the Visual Studio update didn't address something on the Mac.

• EduardoSibataEduardoSibata USMember ✭✭

Updating Xamarin on Mac solved my problem.

• WingMengWingMeng USMember

Do you mean that it must install the same Xamarin environment on MAC? That's mean Windows should setup the VS2015 and integrate Xamarin. And also MAC should setup Xamarin Studio. And most important is that Xamarin.IOS must the same version.

• RodBarnesRodBarnes USMember ✭✭
    edited September 2016

I encountered this error, also. I then noticed the Update 3 patch for 2015 Visual Studio (vs14-kb3165756.exe) and applied it. Following that, the project built successfully and it ran on the iOS simulator. After I stopped the run it then went back to failing the build and showing the error. So I ran the update again and took the repair option. Afterwards, the project again fails the build and shows the error.

Apparently related, I was also getting the notification "Xamarin for Visual Studio Update Available" but when I click on it, nothing happens. I found this article (https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=38753) which indicates using the "Check Now" link under "Tools > Options > Xamarin > Other" and installing the listed item that appears.

Now it builds and runs successfully in the iOS simulator. But then it wouldn't deploy to the Android simulator.

I find that I have to restart Visual Studio each time I want to switch start-up projects (iOS or Android) or the device target drop-down does not populate. For example, after running the iOS app on the simulator, if I then switch to *.Droid the target drop-down is not changed until I restart Visual Studio.

• karthikgkkarthikgk USMember ✭✭

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error Can not resolve reference: C:/Program Files (x86)/Reference Assemblies/Microsoft/Framework/Xamarin.iOS/v1.0/Facades/System.IO.FileSystem.Watcher.dll I1Vector.iOS