Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

HttpWebRequest.UserAgent missing from Xamarin Studio on Mac

MakaniMakani USMember

The following code snippet fails to compile in Xamarin Studio on Mac:

HttpWebRequest request = (HttpWebRequest)WebRequest.Create(url); request.UserAgent = "CustomUserAgent";

It gives me the following error:
Error CS1061: Type System.Net.HttpWebRequest' does not contain a definition forUserAgent' and no extension method UserAgent' of typeSystem.Net.HttpWebRequest' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference? (CS1061)

I obviouslyi do have the HttpWebRequest reference because if I remove the UserAgent line everything compiles. What's fascinating, is that when debugging, in the immediate mode when I do request followed by a dot, Intellisense DOES show me UserAgent there, but not when I'm in the editor. To work around the issue in the code I'm having to do the following reflection crap:

var typeInfo = request.GetType().GetTypeInfo(); var propertyInfo = typeInfo.DeclaredProperties.FirstOrDefault(propInfo => propInfo.Name == "UserAgent"); if (propertyInfo != null) { propertyInfo.SetValue(request, useragent); }

I really need to set the UserAgent and HttpClient is not low level enough for my needs (like it does not allow me to have a StringContent with a custom content type but with no encoding; it forces an encoding, but the service I am using fails because of it.

Can you guys please fix the editor/compiler to recognize the UserAgent property?