Forum Visual Studio

System.Net.Http in Xamarin Studio on Mac?

Title says it all... is System.Net.Http available in Xamarin Studio on Mac / OSX? If so why wouldn't it appear in my new XSC 6.0.1 installation?

Tia,

Answers

• mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

Is this for a particular project type? System.Net.Http is available in the Edit References dialog for both Android and iOS.

• This is xamarin.forms PCL using C# / XAML, and I need system.net.http in the platform-independent code (i.e. not the .Droid or .iOS).

The System.Net.Http namespace is not available in all PCL profiles. Profile 7 is one that includes System.Net.Http. Otherwise you would need to use a NuGet package, such as Microsoft.Net.Http, if you want to use something like HttpClient in a different PCL profile.

• ficellesficelles GBMember

Is there a way to identify the current PCL profile? I guess I have whatever comes with the Xamarin Studio Community stable release...

Yes, you can either open the .csproj directly in a text editor, or open project options, by right clicking the project and selecting Options, or double clicking the project, then go to Build - General. The PCL profile should be displayed in that dialog and can be changed using the combo box. By default Profile 78 is generally used.

• I'm on a Mac, I think you are referring to Visual Studio? Further reading suggests I can't do things as I'd hoped anyway as it doesn't look like there's a platform-independent http request class (I would be very happy if someone were to tell me that isn't the case)

No I am referring to Xamarin Studio.

• I'm guessing .shproj in XS is the equivalent to .csproj in VS, but in any case it doesn't look I can do what I want in this case. Thanks for your help anyway.

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@JonathanQuick.7534 Actually PCLs are a Microsoft concept, not Xamarin. If you re using PCLs and want to reference classes that are not covered by PCL then you would use dependency injection, which is a standard design pattern in these situations.
    So yes you can access the classes defined in System.Net.Http by wrapping the functions you need in a class that you create that implements an interface that exposes the methods of your class. Your PCL code then only refers to your functionality by interface.