Forum Cross Platform with Xamarin

Trying to understand how this all fits together - version numbers and targeting platforms - help!

I am making progress gradually with learning cross platform development but I still feel like I'm searching in the dark when trying to understand the full setup.

I have a Xamarin forms portable solution set up. I've got one project targeting android, one for IOS IOS is the main project and I am developing on a PC with my MAC on the network and my iPhone 5 plugged in. It all works well together, remote login set up and I have my device available from the Visual Studio dropdown.

After building successfully this morning, the build has now failed because versions of something or other dont match ( i am guessing my Mac did an auto update of something and now versions don't match).

Here are the messages

2> Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
2> Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
2> Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
2> Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
2> 100 warnings
3> Generated session id: 28a52078ed5fca6a4618c293ecb75bfe
3> Generated build app name: AppiOS
3> Connecting to Mac server macem.local...
3> App.iOS -> C:\Users\Emily\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\App\App\App.iOS\bin\iPhone\Debug\AppiOS.exe
3> Detected signing identity:
3> Code Signing Key: "iPhone Developer: Emily Christy{hidden}
3> Provisioning Profile: "iOS Team Provisioning Profile: *" {hidden}
3> Bundle Id: com.yourcompany.App
3> App Id: 6B9C3T6GWL.com.yourcompany.App
3>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Xamarin\iOS\Xamarin.iOS.Common.targets(681,3): warning : The recommended Xcode version for Xamarin.iOS 9.8.1 is Xcode 7.0 or later. The current Xcode version (found in /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer) is 6.3.1.
3>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Xamarin\iOS\Xamarin.iOS.Common.targets(681,3): error : The type 'UIKit.UIApplicationShortcutItem' (used as a parameter in UIKit.IUIApplicationDelegate.PerformActionForShortcutItem) is not available in iOS 8.3 (it was introduced in iOS 9.0). Please build with a newer iOS SDK (usually done by using the most recent version of Xcode).
========== Rebuild All: 2 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

I don't understand why one message references Xamarin.IOS 9.8.1 and then one mentions IOS 8.3?

My phone is running IOS 9.3.2

If I right click on my IOS project in Visual Studio, under IOS build I have the SDK version set to 8.3 - but that's the only option there is in the drop down. So I'm guessing I need to install some newer SDK versions - how do I do that?

And how can I get greater control over not constantly having to update which is how it feels at the moment?!

Thanks.

Tagged: