I don't understand xamarin account and VS account difference

aybkekaraarslanaybkekaraarslan USMember ✭✭
edited July 2016 in General

Hi everyone.
I'm very confused about accounts. I have an Xamarin account and I'm using this account now (ex: for this forum, sign in from VS 2015 professional).
But when I read the guide, I noticed that;

My xamarin account in VS like;

But in this tutorial(https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/ios/getting_started/installation/windows/troubleshooting/) to login with Xamarin account from VS is like;

I don't understand difference.

And also I don't know my xamarin account was licanced or not. I'm getting this page despite to use my account in VS 2015,

Answers

• aybkekaraarslanaybkekaraarslan USMember ✭✭

Any answer?

• DimChrisDimChris USMember ✭✭✭

It's the same account. When you login, just close the window and click again on market or wherever you want.

What market ? @DimChris

edited July 2016

Where you want to login? In xamarin studio or Vs2015?

vs2015 @DimChris But my login account is different from xamarin guide. And I don't have any connected dcomputer. Is it maybe related with this difference?

If you login with same username and password what message do you have?

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of Xamarin account do you have?

I don't know How can I learn this? @DaveHunt I haven't pay any money.

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't paid any money, then you should be using the Community Edition. It's free. Just don't log in to your Xamarin account and you'll automatically be using the Community Edition. You should only log in to your Xamarin account if you have a Business or Enterprise account.

• JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited July 2016

Just to clear up some confusion, take a look at this: https://www.xamarin.com/faq

@aybkekaraarslan, your window is different because we've recently changed our licensing system now that Xamarin is Free. The screenshot from the docs only applies to the legacy licensing system. If you have an MSDN account, you can link that to a Xamarin account in the MSDN subscriber portal. If you have professional or higher, you will be able to use additional features on Mac. Taken from the FAQ:

I’m an MSDN subscriber, how can I start using Xamarin?

If you want to use Xamarin with Visual Studio, please upgrade Visual Studio to the latest version and sign in with your MSDN account to activate Xamarin.

If you want to use Xamarin with Xamarin Studio on OS X, please visit yout MSDN Subscription page, locate Xamarin Studio (For OS X) in your Subscription Benefits, and click “Register and Download”. You will need to create a Xamarin Account, or sign in with your existing Xamarin Account to redeem your licenses. Once you have redeemed your licenses, you can activate them by signing into Xamarin Studio with your Xamarin Account.

There is also a pinned post here which might help explain.