How do I get the Acquaint "pre-built" app to work? Acquaint is downloaded from Xamarins website.

GarGar USMember
edited July 2016 in General

I am very surprised there are no guides to get Acquaint working.. I'm on a PC with VS 2015 and Xamarin that are at current versions.

There are code issues straight out of the gate after downloading and opening Acquaint from
https://www.xamarin.com/prebuilt?utm_source=visualstudio&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=ios-prebuilt&utm_campaign=vs ,

This entirely non-functional "prebuilt App" is simply beyond the ability of people trying to become accustomed to Xamarin, to try to learn how to use it.

If anyone is able to (please) help , a screenshot of errors is attached. I am totally lost and have not been introduced to solving these kinds of errors.

• GarGar USMember

Would it help if I went and copy and paste the errors into comments here??

• JamesMontemagnoJamesMontemagno USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

I gave this a try today. I did this:

• I went and downloaded the source code from the link and extracted it.
    • I opened up Aquaint.XForms.xln
    • Restored all NuGet Packages
    • Set the Acquaint.XForms.Droid as My Startup project and Built it
    • Saw the errors that you saw
    • Closed the Solution
    • Re-opened the Solution
    • Errors went away and deployed to my emulator

My assumption is something weird with VS how it is trying to process the XAML files and since it installed the nugets after opening it got confused.

I hope this helps.

• GarGar USMember
    edited July 2016

Thank you so much, that solved the majority of red errors!
    Now to try to fix these other errors :)

I restarted Visual Studio for the second time, and now (there is the screenshot of errors and code attached) the only red error is
    "No resource identifier found for attribute 'layout_scrollFlags' in package 'com.xamarin.acquaintforms' Acquaint.XForms.Droid C:\Users\USER\Desktop\acquaint\‌​app-acquaint-master\Acquaint.XForms\Acquaint.XForms.Droid\Resources\layout\toolba‌​r.axml "

and the only IDE* Warning error is
    "IDE0006 Error encountered while loading the project. Some project features, such as full solution analysis for the failed project and projects that depend on it, have been disabled."

Any help is massively appreciated.

• GarGar USMember

Clarification, it still will not deploy because of these remaining errors.

• jorgearanajorgearana PEMember ✭✭

I think the solution is which i have recommend you. Forget to learn xamarin, its is a bad product. Learn Android Studio it is very easy to understand, it does not lots of problems like xamarin. And there are a lot of support in the web. As you see there is no support for xamarin, including for their solutions they prepare to "understand" their product. The only i understand is that its is almost imposible to learn xamarin.

• hutchinskihutchinski USMember ✭✭

I have run into similar problems with the Acquaint sample app, when trying to build for iOS. ( Xamarin Forms version ).
    I have eventually got the sample app to build after numerous updates using NuGet. It was vitally important to ensure all projects were updated to consistent versions of the latest libraries. I had to make some changes to the code to get it to build. However when running the app on an emulator ( iPhone 6 and iPhone 8 emulator ) the app crashes.

Unhandled Exception:

Xamarin.Forms.Xaml.XamlParseException: Position 39:15. Type fftransformations:CircleTransformation not found in xmlns clr-namespace:FFImageLoading.Transformations;assembly=FFImageLoading.Transformations

• The Acquaint app seems to be a legacy sample, and is not listed on the official "Samples" page. It seems to have been made before Microsoft acquired Xamarin, but that's just a guess. In any case I don't think it's an officially supported project, so we're on our own with it, and it shouldn't be taken as indicative of Xamarin as a whole.