App crashes when trying to connect with web service using WebClient

MarinPekoMarinPeko HRMember ✭✭

I'm doing on a Xamarin Android app and I have a class with bunch of methods for interaction with web service. Every of these methods should return something (true/false to be sure if the database transaction is completed or some other data from database). For example, I have a method:

`public bool AddNewUser(User user)
{
WebClient client = new WebClient();
Uri url = new Uri(web + "AddNewUser.php");
NameValueCollection parameters = new NameValueCollection();
bool result = false;

parameters.Add("FirstName", user.FirstName);
parameters.Add("LastName", user.LastName);
parameters.Add("Email", user.Email);
parameters.Add("MobileNumber", user.MobileNumber);

client.UploadValuesAsync(url, parameters);
client.UploadValuesCompleted += (object sender, UploadValuesCompletedEventArgs e) =>
{
      if (Encoding.UTF8.GetString(e.Result) == "true")
      {
           result = true;
      }
};

return result;

}`

This method returns the result as true or false(if the transaction is completed or if the transaction is not completed).

This is my PHP file:

<?php require_once(dirname(__FILE__).'/Connection.php'); if(isset($_POST['FirstName']) && isset($_POST['LastName']) && isset($_POST['Email']) && isset($_POST['MobileNumber'])) { $firstName = $_POST['FirstName']; $lastName = $_POST['LastName']; $email = $_POST['Email']; $mobileNumber = $_POST['MobileNumber']; $connection = new Connection(); $connection->GetConnection(); if(!$connection->conn) { echo 'Error: '.mysqli_connect_error(); } else { $sql = 'INSERT INTO tb_user(name,lastname,mail,phone) VALUES ("'.$firstName.'","'.$lastName.'","'.$email.'","'.$mobileNumber.'")'; $result = mysqli_query($connection->conn,$sql); if(!$result) { echo 'Error: '.mysqli_error($connection->conn); } else { echo true; } } } ?>

App crashes with no error and user is not written to database. Error in UploadValuesCompletedEventArgs is equal to NULL.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Answers

• MarinPekoMarinPeko HRMember ✭✭

Any suggestions?

• CheesebaronCheesebaron DKInsider, University mod

Your method returns before it hits the UploadValuesCompleted event. Hence the result will always be false.

I suggest you use HttpClient instead of WebClient. So much cleaner and async API.

Yes but why does the app crashes?

• MobileAPP415MobileAPP415 USMember

@Cheesebaron

where to implement webservice.asmx file for andriod app in real time development.

Is it in our local iis or else any live server application.
    Please help me
    Thank you.

You dont need to bother with this type of connecting to web service. Try with httpwebrequest. It's much simpler and easier.