Xamarin.UITest System Exception: Unable to contact test backend running in app.

Hi, I'm getting this below error while running my Xamarin.UITests on Xamarin Studio for xamarin.iOS project i.e,
System.Exception : Unable to contact test backend running in app. A common cause is that the app is not properly linked with Calabash. Please verify that it includes the Calabash component.
please let me know what is the solution for this and your answers would be more helpful for me.

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• NEREANEREA USMember ✭✭
    edited October 2016

I have the same proble when I run tests on iphone simulator.
    Have you solved your problem?
    Please, let me know your solution,
    Thanks!!

• SJ-87SJ-87 USUniversity ✭✭

@NEREA
    Yes for me it solved for me,
    I did like this, right click on iOS project in xamarin studio solution pane, select options > Build > Compiler > under general options > Define Symbols: paste this at the end of the existing string ";ENABLE_TEST_CLOUD;"
    then click on OK.
    (It's for Xamarin.UITest)

• Around a year later but just wanted to say thank you @SJ-87 as this was my issue in getting the tests to launch successfully (appending ENABLE_TEST_CLOUD; to debug compiler flags).

• bryan1bryan1 IEMember ✭✭
    edited April 2018

@AnthonyMehallel said:
    Hi @sravan.5131 @NEREA

For iOS : you must link the calabash framework with your iOS application

if you have a Xamarin.IOS Project : You need Xamarin.Calabash.Start(); in your App.Delegate and add the package Xamarrin.TestCloud.Agent in your Xamarin.UITest project

For Xcode Project : https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/testcloud/calabash/quickstarts/xcode/linking-the-calabash-framework/

Anthony M.

Hi @AnthonyMehallel I also have the problem "System.Exception : Unable to contact test backend running in app. A common cause is that the app is not properly linked with Calabash." when I run my test.

You said above to add reference to Xamarin.TestCloud.Agent in the Xamarin.UITest project. The documentation says to add it to your iOS project so wondering if this was a typo or does it need to be added to both? When I tried to add it to the Test project it complained

"You are trying to install this package into a project that targets .net version 4.6.1 but this package does not contain' etc

• AnthonyMehallelAnthonyMehallel USMember ✭✭✭

Hi @bryan1,

you have got de Xamarin.iOS project or a native iOS projet (Swift / objective C) ?

• bryan1bryan1 IEMember ✭✭

@AnthonyMehallel

It's Xamarin.iOS