Beta Release: Cycle 7 – Service Release 1

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited August 2016 in General

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this release onto the latest announcement:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/72446/stable-release-cycle-7-service-release-1/p1

Release info

Please see https://releases.xamarin.com/beta-release-cycle-7-service-release-1-update-2/ for the details about this release.

Bug reports and questions

As always, be sure to search briefly through the Release Blog post, release notes, documentation, and previous bug reports for any existing answers. After that, choose the appropriate next step:

• File a bug using the "Cycle 7" new bug form if you have found an issue that only happens on Cycle 7 – Service Release 1 (or if you have found an issue that you otherwise suspect is a bug).

• Post a question on Stack Overflow if you have hit an issue and are not yet sure if it is a bug, or if you have a follow-up question about a new feature beyond what is covered in the documentation and release notes.

• Post a reply directly in this forum discussion if you have a follow-up question or comment about this release that is not suitable for a bug report or Stack Overflow such as "What is in this release?", "When...?", or "Where...?"

Installing the Beta and switching back to Stable

You can install this new Beta version or switch back to the current Stable version by changing updater channels.

EDIT July 20: Update Release Blog links for newer Beta versions.
EDIT July 21: Correct release name typo.
EDIT July 27: Update Release Blog links for newer Beta versions.

• JeremyKolbJeremyKolb USMember ✭✭✭

None of the release notes are up yet so we have no idea what's changed.

• HarteexHarteex USMember ✭✭

@JeremyKolb said:
    None of the release notes are up yet so we have no idea what's changed.

iOS release notes are there, but Android ones seems to be missing.

But I wonder why the formatting and how it's all is presented is different between the iOS and Android release notes. The style is nicer on the Android page, but the iOS page specifies release too, which is much better (Xamarin.iOS 9.8.2 (Service Release 1))

Visual Studio changes weren't up either.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Shoot, yeah. Let me ask the teams about the missing notes.

• HarteexHarteex USMember ✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski Also, the release notes state that 4.1.0.550 of Xamarin VS is the released version for this release. However, on the Xamarin VS changelog page, it says that 4.1.1 is part of Cycle 7 Service Release 0.
    4.1.1 looks like a higher version than 4.1.0.550, so this looks very odd.

@BrendanZagaeski any news on getting the release notes updated?

• LjusnanLjusnan DEMember ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

@BrendanZagaeski Still no release notes?

edited July 2016

The release notes for "Cycle 7 – Service Release 1" should now finally be published for all products as of today's Beta channel refresh.

• I'm using the SignaturePad Nuget package. After installing the beta, I get the following errors attempting to pass an array of PointF into SignaturePadView.LoadPoints.

error CS0433: The type 'PointF' exists in both 'Mono.Android, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=84e04ff9cfb79065' and 'System.Drawing.Primitives, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' error CS1503: Argument 1: cannot convert from 'System.Drawing.PointF[]' to 'System.Drawing.PointF[]'

• BradChase.2654BradChase.2654 USMember ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

@BrendanZagaeski Does this release allow us to debug again in VS2015? Or is there a workaround to the new Xamarin bug that if a breakpoint is set then VS2015 bombs out with an OutOfMemory exception?

EDIT: BTW VS2015 last worked with 4.0.4 which is the version we have all reverted to.

I do not see an existing bug report for either the "PointF" issue or the "OutOfMemory" issue. As per the first comment in the thread, please:

File a bug using the "Cycle 7" new bug form if you have found an issue that only happens on Cycle 7 – Service Release 1 (or if you have found an issue that you otherwise suspect is a bug).

Thanks in advance!

@BrendanZagaeski I just assumed that our team wasnt the only team using VS2015 and the latest version of xamarin. I guess I will have to track it down further.

Also I am getting this compile error on the lastest service release:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error CS0433 The type 'Point' exists in both 'Mono.Android, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=84e04ff9cfb79065' and 'System.Drawing.Primitives, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'

same with:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error CS0433 The type 'OpCodes' exists in both 'Mono.CSharp, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0738eb9f132ed756' and 'mscorlib, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e'

Any way around these?

I just installed VS 15 preview 3 to test the memory issue and I get the same results, if this isnt known then I will create a bug report for it...

Interesting, yes please do file a bug report, ideally attaching a minimized zipped up test case that demonstrates the problem. Thanks!

edited July 2016

By chance I came across the CS0433 "exists in both" conflict for types in Mono.Android and System.Drawing myself while testing another issue. I am filing a bug report it now. I will post another update with the bug number in a moment.

The conflicts between Mono.CSharp and mscorlib might have the same underlying cause, but if it's simple to minimize the test case that demonstrates that other conflict and attach it on a new (optionally private) bug report, that could be a could extra test case to have on file. Thanks!

I have now filed the CS0433 "exists in both" conflict for types in Mono.Android and System.Drawing:

42726: (Windows only) "error CS0433: The type 'System.Drawing.SizeF' exists in both ... Mono.Android ... and ... System.Drawing.Primitives" and similar errors for other types in System.Drawing when building an Android app project that references a PCL project. Temporary workaround: Delete the newly added facade assembly that is causing the conflicts:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Drawing.Primitives.dll

• MihaMarkicMihaMarkic SI ✭✭✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski Workaround seems working. At least it compiles.

• NealCulinerNealCuliner USBeta ✭✭✭

The beta refresh from yesterday won't install as the Xam.Mac is failing to download.

• StefanMoonenStefanMoonen NLUniversity ✭✭
    edited July 2016

I can confirm that.

I hope this version fixes a bug with installing packages targeting NETStandard1.1. If I create a PCL with Profile111 which should target NETStandard1.1, it behaves like it's NETStandard1.0 which is incorrect if you look at the table here under Portable Profiles:
    https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/blob/master/Documentation/architecture/net-platform-standard.md

This currently makes it impossible for me to install some packages that target just 1.1, since I can't make a PCL that consumes 1.1.

• NealCulinerNealCuliner USBeta ✭✭✭

Anyone able to get the BETA refresh to install? Xamarin.Mac fails to download 2.8.2.22 so I can't get anything to install. I guess I could find the temp download folder and download all that has downloaded successfully come to think of it. It would be nice if the release notes linked to each download file so they could be installed manually if needed. As well as the Xam site dashboard have a channel picker with manual download links.

The Xamarin.Mac package has now been re-published to fix the broken download URL. It should (hopefully) download correctly now.

It would be nice if the release notes linked to each download file so they could be installed manually if needed. As well as the Xam site dashboard have a channel picker with manual download links.

The approach to download links is under consideration to be revised. At this time I have no information on the possible timeline for when those changes might happen, but it is under consideration.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

First announcement was July 6. Its now Aug 1. Yet the page for the release still says "missing..."
    https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-cycle-7-service-release-1

Release notes are still not up to date.

Supposedly this is stable channel. Can someone at Xamarin give us a status report? Is this a real update? What does it do/fix? Is it even safe to install given nothing else seems to say it even exists?

edited August 2016

ClintStLaurent, https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-cycle-7-service-release-1/ is visible to me at this moment. Note that the Release Blog and the forum threads are posted by hand at the moment, so there will sometimes be time offsets between the package availability in the updater, the Release Blog post, and the forum announcement.

For example, I am working on updating the forum announcement now to account for the new "Stable" status.

Release notes are still not up to date.

To which product's release notes are you referring? I quickly spot-checked the notes for Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS, and they looked OK to me at a glance.

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this release onto the latest announcement:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/72446/stable-release-cycle-7-service-release-1/p1

This discussion has been closed.