Forum Xamarin.Android

How do I fix the error "Can't create handler inside thread that has not called Looper.prepare()"

RonWhiteRonWhite USMember ✭✭

I have spent a few days trying to solve this. Found lots of answers most were to old to even apply or were all about RunOnUiThread. I don't even have a UI in this case. I have an ILocationListener that runs as a foreground service. I have a sub procedure that starts a new thread like this:

ThreadPool.QueueUserWorkItem(tok =>
                        {
                while (!token.IsCancellationRequested)
                            {
                                ......stuff
                    //at the end of each loop, I set the update rate like this.
                    locMgr.RequestLocationUpdates(locationProvider, LocTime, 20, this);
                }
                        }

That thread runs forever(hopefully). Sometimes I want the Location listener to check location every 10 seconds. Sometimes I want it to check every minute. This actually works great on my phone and most devices that I have tested on. But some devices refuse to listen to my suggestion to check every minute and they run constantly. This kills the battery pretty fast. If I move that RequestLocationUpdates any where else inside that ThreadPool, I get the Looper error. I really don't understand why it works at the end of that while statement and no where else, but it does. So I decided that I will just turn the Location listener on when I want it and off when I don't. I turn it off in the OnLocationChanged event with this:

locMgr.RemoveUpdates(this);

If I do that, I can't turn it back on. The RequestLocationUpdates line in the code above gets the Looper error.

"Java.Lang.RuntimeException: Can't create handler inside thread that has not called Looper.prepare()"

I think I get why this is happening, but I don't know how to fix it. When the service thread stops updating the location the worker thread doesn't have access to the main thread to turn it back on? Any ideas?

Answers

• MihaMarkicMihaMarkic SI ✭✭✭✭

Why are you doing that on a separate thread in first place?
    I mean you could listen for changes, set parameters, etc. on main thread, and if you do something lengthy when location changes then do it on separate thread.

• RonWhiteRonWhite USMember ✭✭

Thanks for th reply. Good question. This is my first app and the sample code that I based my app on had this code running on the main activity. I realized that I needed my app to run as a service. So I just moved the main activity code to the service. So you are correct, I probably don't need that thread.

I did get everything to work though. I just created a new service to run the location services. Then my service that has that worker thread just starts and stops the location thread as needed. This works very well.

Now I am going to look into removing that thread.