I need some advice, want to create a simple windows desktop program.

fenix65fenix65 NLMember

Hello

I want to create a simple windows desktop program, in the beginning i started using "autoit3" which is a pretty old programming platform
After i wanted to have a good security system i noticed that Autoit3 was not the right coding platform to create softwarre, so i started asking on forums, they adviced me to use C# wpf or even better C# Xamarin, so I started learning more about C# and i am following tutorials,

So what i want to create is a simple program to can manage mouse movement and clicks and keyboard features within.but I also want it to look professional as possible, with slide buttons fade in and fade out buttons.
so My question is: Can i create this program in Xamarin and would you recommend it?

I have also tried to start Xamarin But al I see is Iphone or android screens/platforms,And i want to create a Windows desktop program.
So i opened a new file in microsoft visual studio 2015 enterprise. File>New Project> Cross-Platform> Blank App(Xamarin.Form Portable)
Once i open it Than it asked me about Target Version I use Windows 10(10.00; Build 10586) and minimum version: Windows 10(10.00; Build 10240)
than it starts loading , than i see a GettinStarted.Xamarin window, and a App.cs . Once i start running the App.cs, it says there were deployment errors.continue?, I click yes, than Deploy failed (Text in the button) and nothing happens. What am i doing wrong?

Best Answer

Answers

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@arclite86 - If you want to develop iOS or Android apps and want to use C#, or want to re-use the same code on iOS, Android and Windows platforms, then consider Xamarin. But if you only want to create a Windows application, do not use Xamarin - it will add complications that you don't need.

• fenix65fenix65 NLMember

No i am also interest to created apps for iphone andriod etc, but for now i Want to create a simple program as i described :smile:

but can some please tell me what i was doing wrong while starting xamarin

• jmeyerjmeyer USUniversity ✭✭
    edited June 2016

Have you set the UWP project as your start project? You'll also need to set your windows machine to "Enable Developer Mode" to test on your device. You can find that in your windows settings menu under "Update and Security > For Developers".

Barring that, can you post more info about the deployment error?

With UWP you mean - "Universal Windows Phone" right? to be sure i have selected the one in the imag bellow

I have now Enabled the developer Moder, thanks, but could you tell me what i should now

Ah, sorry - UWP stands for Universal Windows Platform. If you haven't gotten too far into the code, it's easiest to add it to your Forms project from the onset. So if you select a Forms project:

...while it builds out the solution, it'll ask which version of the UWP SDK to use:

.. and it should be listed in your solution after iOS:

If you want to add UWP to an existing solution, you can do so by following this guide

edited June 2016

I did exactly what you did But once i Try to start it I get an error

And than nothing happens...

I know way this thread says it is answer But its not

Looks like you have the Droid project set to run, which is the default when you first make a solution - right click your UWP project and select: "Set as Startup Project".

Your deploy button should read "Local Machine", with options in the dropdown for Simulator and any mobile emulators you have installed

Thank you Once I chanced those settings It Give me a Other error something about the build, So i selected al boxes and i worked, it gives me a message saying welcome to Xamarin Forms!

I now it is finally ready thanks to your help, I Want know more about Xamarin and how to code with it, I know a little bit of C# , What (free) UWP tutorial would you recommend me to get started for a person that has not allot experience with coding

by the way I would also like to know where the screen is were i can edit the form SO i can direclty see what is going on like an editor were i can drop function on my form like Buttons, listboxes , stockpanels textboxes etc, right now i only see this on my screen:

Instead of the editor or the customizer, how can i get it