After Visual Studio Update 3, Xamarin 4.1.1.3, cannot deploy to Windows UWP Phone or 8.1 Phone emula

Yesterday updated Visuals Studio to update 3 and Xamarin to 4.1.1.3 and had issues with deploying the projects I worked on to WIndows phone emulator in UWP or 8.1, see details below.

To test created a new project from scratch:

Create new project, template 'Blank App (Xamarin.Forms Portable)'

Update Nuget packages

• Can build project
  • Can deploy and run App1.Droid on 5" Kitkat (4.4) XXHDPI Phone (Android 4.4 - API 19)
  • iOS not tested
  • Can run and deploy App1.UWP (Universal Windows) on local machine
  • Can run and deploy App1.UWP (Universal Windows) ton Simulator
  • Error run App1.UWP (Universal Windows) on Mobile Emulator 10.0.10586.0 WVGA 4 inch 512MB
The project "App1.UWP needs to be deployed before it can be started. Verify the project is selected... or deploy it explicitly...

Did the check and tried to deploy it explicitly, gives this error

Error       DEP6701 : Bootstrapping failed with unexpected error: 'Unable to load one or more of the requested types. 
Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.'.  App1.WinPhone           

Not sure how to retrieve the 'LoaderExceptions property' since it happens in the deploy, the emulator is not started yet.

• Error run App1.WinPhone (Windows Phone 8.1) on Emulator 8.1 WVGA 4 inch 512MB, deploy error:
Error       DEP6701 : Bootstrapping failed with unexpected error: 'Unable to load one or more of the requested types. 
Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.'.  App1.WinPhone           

• Windows phone device not tested

So I only have troubles with running on the WIndows phone emulators, while it worked before the upgrade of Visual Studio and Xamarin, not sure what causes the error.

At the moment I'm reinstalling Visual Studio and Xamarin to see if the bug disappears.

Anyone else faced this problem or has a possible solution?

Tried the following suggestions but did not help:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/204225/#Comment_204225

• RobDaPraiaRobDaPraia NLMember

Update, it looks like there is only an error remaining with the UWP applications. Anyone has suggestion what to do next?

• Uninstalled Visual Studio 2015
    • Uninstalled Xamarin
    • Installed Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise Update 3, full, all options
    • Created new project 'Blank App (Xamarin.Forms Portable)'
    • Can build project
    • Can deploy and run App4.Droid on 5" Kitkat (4.4) XXHDPI Phone (Android 4.4 - API 19)
    • Can deploy and run iOS not tested
    • Can deploy and run App4.iOS on iPhoneSimulator
    • Error deploy App4.UWP (Universal Windows) on Mobile Emulator 10.0.10586.0 WVGA 4 inch 512MB
    Error       DEP0001 : Unexpected Error: -2147483638 App4.UWP            

• Can deploy App1.UWP (Universal Windows) on local machine, but running gives error
    An exception of type 'System.TypeLoadException' occurred in Xamarin.Forms.Platform.UAP.dll but was not handled in user code

Additional information: Could not find Windows Runtime type 'Windows.UI.ViewManagement.StatusBar'.

• Can deploy App4.UWP (Universal Windows) ton Simulator, but running gives error as with local machine
  • RobDaPraiaRobDaPraia NLMember

Update: Solved :)

Can now deploy and run on all devices, including UWP. I did the following to make it working for UWP, Phone, simulator and local:

• YannVYannV USMember ✭✭

Same pb, thanks for the posts, I'll try your solutions

• YannVYannV USMember ✭✭

doens't work for me. I only have pb with device on phone 8.1 (didn't try the others like you did)

My pb occurs only on device, as on emulator my code runs ok.

• kentuckerkentucker USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the windows phone 8.1 device developer unlocked? It could not hurt to unlock it again. What is the exact error you get when deploying to the wp8.1 phone

• YannVYannV USMember ✭✭

Yes, i did it also. The pb I have any error, VS2015 just crash when trying to deploy on device. (emu is ok).

I also reinit my phone twice. I test with my lap top which has only VS2015 update 2. It turns out that it worked on it (but not for the first attempt). Well at the end I repair VS2015 update 3, try several time, deploy, rebuild in many ways. It finaly paid because now I can deploy on it ! But I can't tell why !

• rmahaffeyrmahaffey USUniversity ✭✭
    edited September 2016

Having the same issue here, update 2 still works fine.

I'm too dumb to extract and decipher the "Field Medic" reports to see what's going on but I'm thinking it's a dependency issue similar to here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38594736/uwp-app-package-created-with-visual-studio-2015-update-3-wont-install-on-phone

• kentuckerkentucker USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Try installing the latest emulators for win 10 mobile some times that helps