Stable Release: Cycle 7 – Service Release 0

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited June 2016 in General

Release info

Please see https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-cycle-7-service-release-0/ for the details about this release.

Bug reports and questions

As always, be sure to search briefly through the Release Blog post, release notes, documentation, and previous bug reports for any existing answers. After that, choose the appropriate next step:

• File a bug using the "Cycle 7" new bug form if you have found an issue that only happens on Cycle 7 – Service Release 0 (or if you have found an issue that you otherwise suspect is a bug).

• Post a question on Stack Overflow if you have hit an issue and are not yet sure if it is a bug, or if you have a follow-up question about a new feature beyond what is covered in the documentation and release notes.

• Post a reply directly in this forum discussion if you have a follow-up question or comment about this release that is not suitable for a bug report or Stack Overflow such as "What is in this release?", "When...?", or "Where...?"

Updating and downgrading

You can install this new Stable version by checking for updates on the Stable updater channel.

You can downgrade back to the previous Cycle 7 version by manually reinstalling each old package. See the KB article on downgrading. If you would prefer an email with any older installer links you need, feel free to write to [email protected] to request the older versions.

Older Mono package versions are not currently listed on https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads. The Mono package for the previous Stable version is available here:

Older versions (from before June 8)

If needed you can also downgrade back to the previous Cycle 6 Stable versions by manually reinstalling each old package. See the "Get the latest stable version of Cycle 6" section on your account page: https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads#cycle6. If you have any trouble downloading the previous versions from that link, would like to install an older set of versions, or simply would prefer an email with all the installer links you need, feel free to contact [email protected].

Important: If you switch back to the (Cycle 6) XamarinVS after trying Cycle 7, you must delete the following 2 files to pair again successfully with the Mac build host:

• %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\MonoTouch\id_rsa
  • %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\MonoTouch\id_rsa.pub

Otherwise you will get an error: "Unable to connect to Address... with User..." or "Private key is encrypted but passphrase is empty."

• HumorWinsHumorWins USMember
    edited June 2016

Edit: Posted on StackOverflow

• mario.moramario.mora USMember ✭✭

Hi
    After updating today, I cannot open iOS projects on VS 2015. It says "There was an error attempting to initialize the Xamarin.iOS extension." and the iOS project are shown as "incompatible" on the solution explorer.

Also the "Options>Xamarin>iOS Settings", only shows this error message: "An error occurred loading this property page"

Tried unsucessfully to downgrade to 4.0.4.0.4, same problem happens.
    Tried also to completeley remove xamarin and installing again but no luck.

Anyone with the same problem?

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

"There was an error attempting to initialize the Xamarin.iOS extension." and the iOS project are shown as "incompatible" on the solution explorer

That usually means that for some reason the Xamarin extensions for Visual Studio did not update correctly. A thorough uninstall and manual reinstall using the latest Xamarin.iOS > Windows download link has resolved similar problems for other users in the past.

• RobertDAllegroRobertDAllegro USMember ✭✭

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=41874

" Reflection throws AmbiguousMatchException when calling GetProperty on a class that inherits from a generic base class."

What is the status for a fix on this issue? I did not see it mentioned

I cannot launch my app due to this, is there any workaround? I see that it was going to try and be included in a fix this week

thank you

• HarteexHarteex USMember ✭✭

@RobertDAllegro said:

" Reflection throws AmbiguousMatchException when calling GetProperty on a class that inherits from a generic base class."

I cannot launch my app due to this, is there any workaround? I see that it was going to try and be included in a fix this week

thank you

According to the release notes for Xamarin.Android, the fix for that issue is included in this release.
    https://developer.xamarin.com/releases/android/xamarin.android_6/xamarin.android_6.1/

I will double-check that the patch for Bug 41874 was indeed propagated into Mono, Xamarin.iOS, Xamarin.Android, and Xamarin.Mac and update the Xamarin release notes where appropriate to mention that fix.

@Harteex said:

@RobertDAllegro said:

thank you

According to the release notes for Xamarin.Android, the fix for that issue is included in this release.
    https://developer.xamarin.com/releases/android/xamarin.android_6/xamarin.android_6.1/

Your link references 6.1, which is in the alpha channel now. You didn't mean that it was included in this service release 0 right?

@BrendanZagaeski said:
    I will double-check that the patch for Bug 41874 was indeed propagated into Mono, Xamarin.iOS, Xamarin.Android, and Xamarin.Mac and update the Xamarin release notes where appropriate to mention that fix.

So you're saying that the fix for this was included in the stable update I just downloaded but not in that documentation?

I'm a bit confused, would appreciate clarification when you can.

thank you brendan

@RobertDAllegro said:

@Harteex said:

@RobertDAllegro said:

thank you

Your link references 6.1, which is in the alpha channel now. You didn't mean that it was included in this service release 0 right?

The release notes state that Xamarin.Android 6.1.1.1 is included in the stable release.
    https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-cycle-7-service-release-0/
    Unless I'm reading something wrong?

Looks like you were correct Andreas, thank you. My visual studio wasn't reflecting the correct version number for some reason, so that was contributing to the confusion

thanks!

I have also double-checked that the Mono patch was indeed propagated into Xamarin.Android, Xamarin.iOS, and Xamarin.Mac. The current absence of the bug number from the Xamarin.iOS release notes is my mistake: I had hidden that bug fix from the initial release notes for the Beta release because the Beta builds of "Cycle 7 – Service Release 0" did not yet include that fix. But the Stable versions do include the fix, so I am adding it back to the release notes now.

• mario.moramario.mora USMember ✭✭

@mario.mora said:
    Hi
    After updating today, I cannot open iOS projects on VS 2015. It says "There was an error attempting to initialize the Xamarin.iOS extension." and the iOS project are shown as "incompatible" on the solution explorer.

Also the "Options>Xamarin>iOS Settings", only shows this error message: "An error occurred loading this property page"

Tried unsucessfully to downgrade to 4.0.4.0.4, same problem happens.
    Tried also to completeley remove xamarin and installing again but no luck.

Anyone with the same problem?

Finally I found the solution here, deleting the component model cache. But I don't undesrstand why this happened, I never install nothing but the stable channel.
    This is the second consecutive update with severe problems, the one before (stable in 4.0.4) completely broke the https communications of the PCL projects, I had to spend severall hours until I found the problem (It switched the ssl library from monotouch to TLS into all our projects)
    Updating xamarin is quite an adventure nowadays. I hope this problems improves for future versions

• DavidDancyDavidDancy AUMember ✭✭✭✭

I just used up nearly an hour adding a new package and removing a reference from 21 projects in one solution using Xamarin Studio 6.0.

What makes the NuGet package interface so slow? It's well over a minute to find a package even if I know its exact name. Then it often takes well over 2 minutes to install it in the project. I can't think of any technical reasons why it has to be so slow. I type a few characters and the UI locks up while the search proceeds; then I type a few more and the search starts again. I thought we had async/await for this kind of thing so we don't need to lock the UI while something is going on in the background?

It's also pretty frustrating that an operation that I want to apply the same way to all 21 projects has to be done one project at a time.

That sounds similar to a non-public bug report filed by a Xamarin employee:

Searching for a NuGet package takes five to ten minutes to populate the results.

A candidate fix for that issue has been committed to the source code as part of the development work for the upcoming "Cycle 7 – Service Release 1". I'm looking into getting a set of early preview builds to share for that upcoming release.

That would be excellent - thanks. In my other life I have the Alpha build of Xamarin Studio so I'll definitely give it a look as soon as it's available.

• mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

The fix for the NuGet search taking a long time would have no affect on installing a NuGet package taking a long time. The problem with the search was that it was using Tasks and Xamarin Studio 6.0 has a limit on the number of tasks that can be run in parallel. Installing a NuGet package with Xamarin Studio 6.0 does not use a task so it would not be affected in the same way.

Also the only UI lockup that I know about with the Add Packages dialog is when there is a large NuGet package installed in the solution, reading the .nupkg file can sometimes take a while on Mono. This problem has been resolved in Xamarin Studio 6.1.

So it sounds like there is a different problem here. It would be useful if you could run kill -QUIT pid when the hang occurs, replacing pid with the process id of Xamarin Studio. This will trigger Xamarin Studio to log all the thread callstacks so we can see what is going on.

edited June 2016

It would be useful if you could run kill -QUIT pid when the hang occurs, replacing pid with the process id of Xamarin Studio. This will trigger Xamarin Studio to log all the thread callstacks so we can see what is going on.

Just to add a few extra details:

• You'll want to run the kill command in a Terminal.app command prompt.

• In most cases, you can use killall -QUIT XamarinStudio so you won't have to search for the pid.

• The callstacks will be output to the latest "$HOME"/Library/Logs/XamarinStudio-6.0/Ide*.log file.

• If you can attach that Ide*.log to a short little new bug report that includes a brief re-summarization of the circumstances around hitting the delay (for example, you can just copy-paste your forum comment directly), that would be perfect.

Many thanks!

EDIT: Correct a typo.

• TonyDTonyD USMember ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

@BrendanZagaeski I am getting a lot of sgen crashes on iOS since the update (very hard to repro but they are happening and I see them on Insights many time a day).

Were there any mono/sgen related fixes in this release that might have caused this?

The function in question is: sgen_perform_collection and there are a bunch of stack traces I see but the crash only happens during garbage collections. I tried to switch to Boehm but unfortunately it wouldn't compile because a lot of the libraries I use canned by "AOT".

• Sebastian.7790Sebastian.7790 USMember
    edited June 2016

Is there any chance that IO functions work slower, or maybe some other stuff works slower?

I am asking about Android.

We have project, which deserializes a lot of data, and before this update operation took 16 sec. to load and now it takes 30! Without any changes in code and options.

Upgraded to Xamarin Studio 6.0.1 (b9) this morning. Now, after building with my previously-working build script, and submitting to the Apple App Store, I get the following message:

Your delivery was successful, but you may wish to correct the following issues in your next delivery:
    Unexpected Machine Code - Your upload contains both bitcode and native machine code. When you provide bitcode, it's not necessary to include machine code as well. To reduce the size of your upload, use Xcode 7.3 or later, or any other toolchain that removes machine code.
    After you’ve corrected the issues, you can use Xcode or Application Loader to upload a new binary to iTunes Connect.

Nothing changed in the project.

What do I need to do to fix this issue?

• MiguelCervantesMiguelCervantes MXMember ✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I'm having a problem with the latest versions of Xamarin in particular in 4.1.1, the problem is using service stack and a DTO with a property object.

The bug is reported at the service stack support but it seems that the problem is with the Xamarin version 4.1.x because downgrading it to 4.0.3 fixes the problem.

The problem is better explained with working proyects of the bug here: https://github.com/ServiceStack/Issues/issues/451

And here is on stackoverflow http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38023606/servicestack-in-xamarin

I Posted it on the XF forum because the bug usess XF but nobody cares so i'm here.

How can I report a bug?

edited July 2016

@MiguelCervantes You can file a bug here

• Does version 6.0.1.9 fix the formatting issues?

I want to know if its safe to upgrade again? I had to downgrade after version 6 because it was murdering my code formatting and generally doing weird stuff (after changing the C# formatting to Visual Studio style)

I was investigating why my Mac's hard drive had no space any more and found that Xamarin Studio's current log file is over 20GB in size.

What on earth could be in there?

I'm not even sure I've got an app that will open it. @BrendanZagaeski are you interested in taking a look? If so, how do I get it to you?

edited July 2016

current log file is over 20GB in size.
    What on earth could be in there?

My first guess would be some rapidly repeated (but possibly ignorable) exception messages.

are you interested in taking a look?

I don't have a precise recommendation for the best information to provide to the engineers, but I would say it would be worth filing a bug using the "Cycle 7" new bug form that copies approximately the same wording from your forum comment.

One little trick you could experiment with to view a part of the file to see if it does indeed contain a bunch of repeated messages (that you could then mention or attach on the bug report) would be to run something like the following in a Terminal.app command prompt to look at just the first 10000 lines (or another number) after copying them into a TruncatedIde.log file (or another name) on your Desktop:

head -n 10000 "$HOME/Library/Logs/XamarinStudio-6.0/Ide.log" > "$HOME/Desktop/TruncatedIde.log"

As a point of comparison, I do see a fair number of repeated errors in my logs, but they vary a fair bit depending on the different tasks I was working on, so I would guess (and hope) that the one's I'm seeing wouldn't accumulate as quickly as the behavior you're seeing that gets you up to 20 GB.

(Just to give a rough sense of the kind of bug and the possible causes, one older (already fixed) bug that looks similar is Bug 33570.)

• KashifShaikhKashifShaikh CAMember ✭✭

Cycle 7 breaks our iOS build scripts as now when you create a build the IPA using mdtool:

mdtool build '--configuration:Ad-Hoc|iPhone' Mobile\ Native.sln

...the IPA now stored under /bin/$Configuration/APP_NAME 2016-07-26 14-53-33/APP_NAME.ipa - which is under a dated subdir without version number.

BEFORE it used to be:
    /bin/$Configuration/APP_NAME-1.0.1.ipa.

If you build same config just under Xamarin Studio, it respects old behavior. Why was this changed? the bin folder is typically cleared after a build, so there is no reason to have dated subdirectories.

the IPA now stored under /bin/$Configuration/APP_NAME 2016-07-26 14-53-33/APP_NAME.ipa

See the notes about "41963" and "New MSBuild property IpaPackageDir to customize .ipa output location" on the Xamarin.iOS release notes: https://developer.xamarin.com/releases/ios/xamarin.ios_9/xamarin.ios_9.8/.

This discussion has been closed.