Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Is that normal UWP very slow?

huangjinshehuangjinshe USMember ✭✭✭

I never made a UWP app before, now using Xamarin made it.
But after I put it into real phone (Lumia 640XL). I found it's very slow.... My feel is slow as hell.

Open a Window may could use a lot of seconds....For example after login turn to main page:

MainPage main = new MainPage();
main.BindingContext = new MainPageViewModel();

CurrentNavigation.pushAsync(mian);

This will let me wait 5-10 seconds...Really? Ok, maybe there is some logic in ViewModel, like put some data from some static resources and put to the listview or bind some data to page like : {Binding }....But That's really too much than I every thought. even I saw some listview start load the list after page show up and you scroll it you can feel it. Maybe that's for performance inside of Xamarin. But really? I don't have any image.., even there is a Listview(just have some label and coupe of button in each listview item in the listview) after click start to load data. After I click it I'll wait to around 10 second ,and after the page got response, it will start loading the rest of the item. I mean after wait so long to stop freeze the page only load the top 20 items? and continue start load?(you can feel when scroll) ...

Anyway that's too bad...

Is there anyone could give me advice?

BTW: I'm not found any different with DEBUG and Release.... all slow...

Best Answer

Answers

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin

@huangjinshe - I find that start-up of a UWP app on my powerful desktop PC is very slow - the splash screen is visible for a long time. Drawing of cells in ListViews is also far slower than on any other platform - UWP is the only platform where I sometimes see empty space for a while before a cell is painted.

What makes it worse when debugging is that Visual Studio 2015 update 2 appears to have a significant memory leak that shows up when debugging, so debugging Windows apps gets slower as the day goes on. I tend to re-start Visual Studio at least 4 times per day because of this.

With the 2.3 release of Xamarin.Forms today, I've run a 64 bit UWP build of my app today for the first time. Subjectively (I didn't measure it), the 64 bit version felt even slower than the 32 bit version, but I would need to measure to confirm that.

I figure that the Windows support in Xamarin.Forms is immature relative to Android and iOS support. Particularly with the Microsoft acquisition, I would hope to see increasing amounts of effort put into improving the Windows support in future releases.

• huangjinshehuangjinshe USMember ✭✭✭

@JohnHardman said:
    @huangjinshe - I find that start-up of a UWP app on my powerful desktop PC is very slow - the splash screen is visible for a long time. Drawing of cells in ListViews is also far slower than on any other platform - UWP is the only platform where I sometimes see empty space for a while before a cell is painted.

What makes it worse when debugging is that Visual Studio 2015 update 2 appears to have a significant memory leak that shows up when debugging, so debugging Windows apps gets slower as the day goes on. I tend to re-start Visual Studio at least 4 times per day because of this.

With the 2.3 release of Xamarin.Forms today, I've run a 64 bit UWP build of my app today for the first time. Subjectively (I didn't measure it), the 64 bit version felt even slower than the 32 bit version, but I would need to measure to confirm that.

I figure that the Windows support in Xamarin.Forms is immature relative to Android and iOS support. Particularly with the Microsoft acquisition, I would hope to see increasing amounts of effort put into improving the Windows support in future releases.

My app is a simple app, I don't found too much performance on the desktop test.

I also can't deploy my app in UWP, even I open developer mode and install it by SD card, but every time start it, it will auto close again...I don't know why. so it only could run with Visual studio now, but I don't sure it's because visual studio or not. My app not released by windows store yet, that's really painful.

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin

@huangjinshe -

There are a few recent threads in the forum about issues on start-up using UWP. The following is just one:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/65480/uwp-app-crash-at-startup-in-windows-10-mobile-with-xamarin-forms#latest

@JohnHardman said:
    @huangjinshe -

There are a few recent threads in the forum about issues on start-up using UWP. The following is just one:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/65480/uwp-app-crash-at-startup-in-windows-10-mobile-with-xamarin-forms#latest

Thank you that link helped my another problem.

x86 emulator fast enough, but real ARM phone slow as hell. Is there anyone could give an advice?

edited June 2016

I don't sure the problem is because the "", After I enable it and test x86 windows phone emulator Release. It's very slow....

visual studio also output full of:

throw exception “System.PlatformNotSupportedException”(from System.Private.Reflection.Execution.dll )
    throw exception “System.PlatformNotSupportedException”(from System.Private.Reflection.Execution.dll )
    throw exception:“System.AggregateException”(from System.Private.Threading.dll )

what the hell is this.....

• RaymondKellyRaymondKelly USMember ✭✭✭

I am getting this as well. Makes it very slow. Did you find a fix?

@RaymondKelly said:
    I am getting this as well. Makes it very slow. Did you find a fix?

Please read some performance article:https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/xamarin-forms/deployment,_testing,_and_metrics/performance/#Enable_the_XAML_Compiler

and use this:
    https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/xamarin-forms/xaml/xamlc/

it will let you application more faster.

Also there is another performance problem which I report about Listview already confirmed, but still not fixed yet, Xamarin too slow....
    details: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=41975

But my feeling is UWP version Xamarin.Forms still slow, not fast like the original UWP application. Xamarin.Forms team need to handle more performance problems.

• Abhijeet_SuryaAbhijeet_Surya USMember ✭✭✭

I am not sure, but After adding Settings plugin
    UWP app is taking edges to load, remains in the splash screen.

For UWP, settings plugin uses the ApplicationDataContainer

• amirvenusamirvenus USMember ✭✭✭

3 years later and Release builds that use .NET native are significantly slower than Debug mode.

I thought they were supposed to offer a performance comparable to that of C/C++?!?

• mnxamdevmnxamdev Member ✭✭
    We finally decided to start using our Xamarin.Forms code we use in our Android and iOS on UWP. I can confirm Xamarin.Forms UWP has an extremely slow load time for us as well, takes about 6 seconds to load even an empty app. This is very disappointing. Do we know if the Xamarin team is looking to improve this?