CarouselView 2.3.0-pre2

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭

Does anyone actually monitor this project?

The project doesn't have a Licence file

This means that you retain all rights to your source code and that nobody else may reproduce, distribute, or create derivative works from your work. This might not be what you intend.

This means I can't work on it even if I wanted to

• BrainSlugs83BrainSlugs83 USMember ✭✭

Looks like on the latest version, when you change the orientation, it will get stuck between two different slides. At least on the iPad simulator this is what happens. -- It happens in both directions by the way, that is, it happens when going from landscape to portrait, or from portrait to landscape...

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭
  • Emixam23Emixam23 USMember ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I would love implement that for PCL project, any idea?

• curtis.ehrhartcurtis.ehrhart USMember ✭✭

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this..

@BrainSlugs83 said:
    Looks like on the latest version, when you change the orientation, it will get stuck between two different slides. At least on the iPad simulator this is what happens. -- It happens in both directions by the way, that is, it happens when going from landscape to portrait, or from portrait to landscape...

• dashnedashne USMember ✭✭

Hi everyone
    there is one issue when the itemssource of carousel view about 2000 pages for example, when setting current position from first page to say 1000, it will flip all the pages until it get there which take alot of time to do that.
    Is there

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I think an app with 2000 pages all together is not well designed

really, I did that with android studio and viewPager of more than 12000 pages and when set first page and last page is just take 1-2 seconds, my app is library of books, and there is a book consist of more than 20 volumes each of more than 500, and count it then you know

• MarkRadcliffeMarkRadcliffe NZMember ✭✭✭

@dashne said:
    really, I did that with android studio and viewPager of more than 12000 pages and when set first page and last page is just take 1-2 seconds, my app is library of books, and there is a book consist of more than 20 volumes each of more than 500, and count it then you know

Why not dynamically add the next 10 pages, last 10 pages so there is only 20 pages in the carousel then keep that up to date in page on page change. Then have a goto option where you replace the list bound to the carousel which will have no animation, just a straight swap?

I did that for only for three page just like off screen Limit of view pager, but the problem is that there is no event for page scroll settled event or some thing like this to handle these three pages every time that the page is had been scrolled, its really needed this functionality and I think this will help the performance better.

• FlorianSchnyderFlorianSchnyder CHMember
    edited November 2016

Hi everyone

I am a Xamarin newby and I would like to use the carouselview.

Unfortunately I get an error (on Android, but it crashes as well on Windows an iOS) on my test page:

"System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary."

My XAML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <d:BaseContentPage xmlns="http://xamarin.com/schemas/2014/forms" xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2009/xaml" x:Class="BFH_USZ_PICC.Views.MaintenanceInstructionPage" xmlns:d="clr-namespace:BFH_USZ_PICC.Views;assembly=BFH_USZ_PICC.Views" xmlns:i18n="clr-namespace:BFH_USZ_PICC.Utilitys.Extensions" xmlns:controls="clr-namespace:CarouselView.FormsPlugin.Abstractions;assembly=CarouselView.FormsPlugin.Abstractions" xmlns:cv="clr-namespace:Xamarin.Forms;assembly=Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView"> <Grid> <cv:CarouselView x:Name="InstructionCarousel">    <cv:CarouselView.ItemTemplate> <DataTemplate> <Grid>  <Grid.RowDefinitions>             <RowDefinition Height="*"/>             <RowDefinition Height="Auto"/>            </Grid.RowDefinitions> <Image Source="{Binding Source}" Grid.RowSpan="2"/>  <StackLayout Grid.Row="1"> <Label Text="Test"/>            </StackLayout> </Grid> </DataTemplate> </cv:CarouselView.ItemTemplate> </cv:CarouselView> </Grid> </d:BaseContentPage>

My code:

public sealed partial class MaintenanceInstructionPage : BaseContentPage { public MaintenanceInstructionPage(ContentPage contained) : base(contained) { InitializeComponent(); ObservableCollection<Image> MainenanceInstruction = new ObservableCollection<Image>(); MainenanceInstruction.Add(new Image { Source = "icon.png" }); MainenanceInstruction.Add(new Image { Source = "icon.png" }); MainenanceInstruction.Add(new Image { Source = "icon.png" }); InstructionCarousel.ItemsSource = MainenanceInstruction; } }

I tired to be close to this example:
    https://blog.xamarin.com/flip-through-items-with-xamarin-forms-carouselview

Does anyone have an idea why it is not working?

@MarkRadcliffe said:

@dashne said:

Why not dynamically add the next 10 pages, last 10 pages so there is only 20 pages in the carousel then keep that up to date in page on page change. Then have a goto option where you replace the list bound to the carousel which will have no animation, just a straight swap?

The control is already virtual. Your solution is to manually make it double virtual? -- Sure, it would work if done right, but the control is slow enough as it is, and doing a bunch of extra work twice is kind of lame. -- Also consider that this problem is not unique. -- I have the same issue for example. -- Every person who does this will end up with their own bugs and headaches that they have to deal with, when the control says it should be able to do it on it's own. -- So, why not just let him report the bug and let Xamarin fix their control?

@FlorianSchnyder said:
    Hi everyone

I am a Xamarin newby and I would like to use the carouselview.

Unfortunately I get an error (on Android, but it crashes as well on Windows an iOS) on my test page:

"System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary."

My XAML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <d:BaseContentPage xmlns="http://xamarin.com/schemas/2014/forms" xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2009/xaml" x:Class="BFH_USZ_PICC.Views.MaintenanceInstructionPage" xmlns:d="clr-namespace:BFH_USZ_PICC.Views;assembly=BFH_USZ_PICC.Views" xmlns:i18n="clr-namespace:BFH_USZ_PICC.Utilitys.Extensions" xmlns:controls="clr-namespace:CarouselView.FormsPlugin.Abstractions;assembly=CarouselView.FormsPlugin.Abstractions" xmlns:cv="clr-namespace:Xamarin.Forms;assembly=Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView"> <Grid> <cv:CarouselView x:Name="InstructionCarousel">    <cv:CarouselView.ItemTemplate> <DataTemplate> <Grid>  <Grid.RowDefinitions>             <RowDefinition Height="*"/>             <RowDefinition Height="Auto"/>            </Grid.RowDefinitions> <Image Source="{Binding Source}" Grid.RowSpan="2"/>  <StackLayout Grid.Row="1"> <Label Text="Test"/>            </StackLayout> </Grid> </DataTemplate> </cv:CarouselView.ItemTemplate> </cv:CarouselView> </Grid> </d:BaseContentPage>

My code:

public sealed partial class MaintenanceInstructionPage : BaseContentPage { public MaintenanceInstructionPage(ContentPage contained) : base(contained) { InitializeComponent(); ObservableCollection<Image> MainenanceInstruction = new ObservableCollection<Image>(); MainenanceInstruction.Add(new Image { Source = "icon.png" }); MainenanceInstruction.Add(new Image { Source = "icon.png" }); MainenanceInstruction.Add(new Image { Source = "icon.png" }); InstructionCarousel.ItemsSource = MainenanceInstruction; } }

I tired to be close to this example:
    https://blog.xamarin.com/flip-through-items-with-xamarin-forms-carouselview

Does anyone have an idea why it is not working?

The control is completely broken for UWP right now. -- I get this exact error message even with a very simple barebones CarouselView demo. -- It seems to be working fine on iOS and Android though (at least for me). -- I hope they fix the UWP stuff soon.

• MarkRadcliffeMarkRadcliffe NZMember ✭✭✭

The control is already virtual. Your solution is to manually make it double virtual? -- Sure, it would work if done right, but the control is slow enough as it is, and doing a bunch of extra work twice is kind of lame. -- Also consider that this problem is not unique. -- I have the same issue for example. -- Every person who does this will end up with their own bugs and headaches that they have to deal with, when the control says it should be able to do it on it's own. -- So, why not just let him report the bug and let Xamarin fix their control?

Thats all well and good but xamarin have this control in preview and haven't really made the effort to make it work properly. The amount of bugs getting fixed is pretty poor at the moment, so if he wants to wait around for months then thats fine but I'd try to figure something out in the meantime. Even just rebinding the list with the position set may be a way to get around the lack of support for the control.

• HenrySippHenrySipp USMember ✭✭

I seem to be getting a leak when using a carousel view with images. Can anyone confirm this?

• StelioStelio USMember

I am getting issues when using nested carousel view within an carousel view. Can anyone confirm/help?

I don't know if nesting is a good thing. It seems like a listview inside a listview or a scrollview... only problems

• DidsDids FIMember ✭✭

There's a really nasty Position property binding issue with this as well. :neutral:
    https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView/issues/8

• PaulRiehlePaulRiehle USMember ✭✭

Has anyone been able to prevent the carousel from intercepting input from its children? I am trying to implement hand drawing functionality to a view nested within a CarouselView, with a toggle to turn the carousel on or off. It works fine in Android by calling this.Parent.RequestDisallowInterceptTouchEvent(true), but in iOS there doesn't seem to be a way to control which view gets the input first. I figure my only choice is to implement a custom renderer for CarouselView, but I can't quite figure it out how to go about implementing it.

• PaulRiehlePaulRiehle USMember ✭✭

For those curious, this thread helped me solve the above problem:
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/3574/avoid-event-propagation-to-scrollview

• FlorianMICHALONFlorianMICHALON FRMember ✭✭

Anyone have an idea for disable gesture swiping recognizers of carouselview ?

• RyanWatsonRyanWatson USMember ✭✭✭

@FlorianMICHALON said:
    Anyone have an idea for disable gesture swiping recognizers of carouselview ?

Do you have any suggested replacement control to do the same thing?

• seanydaseanyda GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlorianMICHALON @RyanWatson

Just a suggestion.. Why not remove the pages from the CarouselView while you want to disable it but keep the instance of the pages in memory, when you want to allow swipe again add/insert them back in?

Oops sorry @FlorianMICHALON and @lpdavies some how I got on the wrong thread when I did my response.

• PhilippSumiPhilippSumi USMember ✭✭✭

@FlorianMICHALON If you're running into the same issue of the gesture being way too sensitive (basically impossible not to trigger a horizontal swipe when trying to scroll vertically), there's also a thread on the issue tracker. This doesn't seem to be monitored though:
    https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView/issues/15

• voidstreamvoidstream FRMember ✭✭✭

@PhilippSumi said:
    @FlorianMICHALON If you're running into the same issue of the gesture being way too sensitive (basically impossible not to trigger a horizontal swipe when trying to scroll vertically), there's also a thread on the issue tracker. This doesn't seem to be monitored though:

I have the same problem with my listview in a carrousselview, really really too sensitive.

I read this:
    Possible fixes include:
    Set a minimum xDiff (xStart-xEnd on touch position) before considering changing view.
    Set a minimum velocity for the swipe, which currently seems to be zero on Android.

It's works? How i can do this?

• BrainCreatorBrainCreator USMember

how i can change source code to have circular (looped infinitely) navigation of items within carouselview?

• EmmanuelVazquezEmmanuelVazquez USMember ✭✭

@HenrySipp You aren't the only one, I started a github issues and it seems like others are seeing it as well. https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView/issues/16

:p !

• Vyomwork_RahulVyomwork_Rahul USMember ✭✭

In my project i have put the carouselview inside the Header in listview . First time it is displayed and work proper , once we come from another page , it is not working properly in windows. Same code is working in Android and ios

@DavidOrtinau Do you fix the sensitive issue when carouselview include listview?

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

@TonyPinot said:
    @DavidOrtinau Do you fix the sensitive issue when carouselview include listview?

Let's test that when we have the new release posted.

@DavidOrtinau said:

@TonyPinot said:

Let's test that when we have the new release posted.

Ok thanks :smile:
    Do you know when the release will be posted? 1 week? 1 month? +?

@DavidOrtinau said:

UPDATE: We have a new release of this cooking and hope to be able to share that progress with you very soon. We need to finish tidying up a few API issues the team discussed yesterday and make sure we've addressed a few other things.

@DavidOrtinau Did the CarouselView v1 Stable get pushed from Feb to Q2? Is this version you are talking about just another beta version?

@RyanWatson said:
    @DavidOrtinau said:

UPDATE: We have a new release of this cooking and hope to be able to share that progress with you very soon. We need to finish tidying up a few API issues the team discussed yesterday and make sure we've addressed a few other things.

@DavidOrtinau Did the CarouselView v1 Stable get pushed from Feb to Q2? Is this version you are talking about just another beta version?

Also, are those changes available anywhere? There hasn't been any activity on GitHub as far as I can tell. The control behaves super weird (it doesn't even handle programmatic Position property changes reliably in most cases), and the community might chime in to some degree in order to fix some issues.

• MatthiasPorgesMatthiasPorges USMember ✭✭
    edited February 28

Is it possible to disable changing Position? Or swiping between Positions altogether?
    Background: I have a control in a CarouselView that enables zooming and panning when it's being interacted with. I want to disable changing Position of the CarouselView during that, as it may happen by accident.

Edit: I did implement this on iOS with a custom renderer using "Control.ScrollEnabled". Still would like a Forms solution for Android and UWP.

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭

@DavidOrtinau said:

Any more info on this?

@JKay said:

@DavidOrtinau said:

Any more info on this?

On that note, please also tend to the GitHub project page. People are posting issues there without getting feedback, and potentially attempting to solve problems that may have already been solved. I'd rather have no issues section (or a sticky warning that it's not monitored) than spending time on reporting stuff that nobody reads...