CarouselView 2.3.0-pre2

• MatthiasPorgesMatthiasPorges USMember ✭✭

Is there a workaround for this issue yet or can I "catch" this Exception somewhere in my application?

• ThomasBurkhartThomasBurkhart DEMember ✭✭✭✭

Only chance is to take the source and add it to your project.

• ulinulin ESMember

Would it be possible as of now to make a customrenderer of the current CarouselView in order to make available to the controller the event of an user initiating the scroll? (as opposite to only having the event of the user finishing the scroll or to be more specific the item has already changed). I would like to perform animations that happen at the same time as the carousel is scrolling but I'm unable since the only event I have available is when the carousel has finished the scrolling.

Thanks

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭

Please can you open source this!

@TheRealJasonSmith Any chance that this issues will be fixed in the near future? At the moment it's not a usable replacement for CarouselPage. On the other side I don't like to reverse all my refactoring

• AdrianKnightAdrianKnight USMember ✭✭✭✭

Would love to see an update on the CarouselView. Without it working, I'm left in the dark.

Just logged another issue https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=42320

The exception when only partila swiping is marked as fixed in pre-2, but wihtout a date :-(

• On Android app crashes because of "Sequence contains more than one element exception."
    any ideas what to do?

• MatthiasPorgesMatthiasPorges USMember ✭✭
    edited July 2016

I'm also having a problem on iPhone 6 (only in Ad-Hoc configuration deployed to phone, also doesn't happen on iPhone 5) where the carousel view is just empty and doesn't do anything when setting ItemSource.

Seems to be the linking problem you discussed on Page 1.
    What exactly do I have to put to in "additional mtouch arguments" to disable this assembly in linker?

This didn't work:
    --linkskip=Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView --linkskip=Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView.iOS --linkskip=Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView.Platform

• @ThomasBurkhart
    Where are you?

• RSHRSH USUniversity ✭✭

@LazareGiunashvili said:
    On Android app crashes because of "Sequence contains more than one element exception."
    any ideas what to do?

I get the same thing after a swipe back to the start.

• RSHRSH USUniversity ✭✭
    edited July 2016

I made a simple banner that scrolls through each position then back to 0. I tried setting IsEnabled=false to prevent the end-user from trying to over right my scrolling but it doesn't seem to be disabling clicking.

Anyone have an idea how to not allow the user to click through the positions?

----SOLVED----

My solution was to add a Transparent BoxView ontop of the CarouselView:

<ListView.Header> <Grid> <Grid.RowDefinitions> <RowDefinition Height="*"/> </Grid.RowDefinitions> <forms1:CarouselView x:Name="CarouselFeature" HeightRequest="125" BackgroundColor="Black" IsEnabled="False" Grid.Row="0"> <forms1:CarouselView.ItemTemplate> <DataTemplate> <Grid RowSpacing="0"> <Grid.RowDefinitions> <RowDefinition Height="*" /> <RowDefinition Height="Auto" /> </Grid.RowDefinitions> <forms:CachedImage Grid.RowSpan="2" Grid.Row="0" HeightRequest="122" DownsampleToViewSize="true" Source="{Binding ImageUrl}" LoadingPlaceholder="loading.png" FadeAnimationEnabled="True" CacheDuration="1" /> <StackLayout Grid.Row="1" BackgroundColor="#80000000" Padding="12"> <Label TextColor="White" Text="{Binding Name}" FontSize="16" HorizontalOptions="Center" VerticalOptions="CenterAndExpand" /> </StackLayout> </Grid> </DataTemplate> </forms1:CarouselView.ItemTemplate> </forms1:CarouselView> <BoxView BackgroundColor="Transparent" Grid.Row="0"></BoxView> </Grid> </ListView.Header>

@LazareGiunashvili What do you mean?

• MichelangeloFrancoMichelangeloFranco ITUniversity ✭✭

Having problem using on Windows Phone. I follow James Montemagno's blog post here: https://blog.xamarin.com/flip-through-items-with-xamarin-forms-carouselview/
    but in Windows I cant see Carousel (either UWP and Windows Phone). In Android and iOS works perfect.

It's been almost one month since this thread was created. Can we see an update? A lot of us are counting on this control.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffersonBalivo.2829 said:
    It's possible use CarouselView without Binding ItemsSource? I just need 2 Items (Pages)?

@AlessandroCaliaro said:
    mmmm maybe no

Bummer. I was kinda expecting this to function something like a StackLayout in Horizontal orientation. Just wrap some controls in tags and be off and running.
    Seems the BindingSource requirement is going to make it difficult to use for complex situations where I could otherwise lay out the XAML fairly easily and have each individual item have its own binding, styles and templates.

<CarouselView>
          <StackPanel>
                <!--Column 1 of stuff-->
           <StackPanel>
          <StackPanel>
                <!--Column 2 of stuff-->
           <StackPanel>
          <StackPanel>
                <!--Column 3 of stuff-->
           <StackPanel>
    </CarouselView>   

I know its pre-release, but I'm having trouble finding some XAML examples of how it is meant to be used. Link anyone?
    Maybe I'm just not seeing a good pattern due to not finding any examples.

• DavidDunscombeWrkDavidDunscombeWrk GBMember ✭✭

@SamuelDebruyn said:
    Some feedback:

• On Android I also get the Sequence contains more than one element exception.
    • On iOS, I can't set the Position property when I initialize my carousel.

I have the exact same issues

• VelocityVelocity NZMember ✭✭✭

Currently testing CarouselView and working well, aside from a couple of minor bugs.
    Can we please request the ability to hide horizontal scrollbars in the PCL?

• DaichiKitagawaDaichiKitagawa USMember

@lpdavies said:

@LesterMeeks said:
    I am doing some testing in release mode and have a blank white page when I turn on SDK linking, debug and release modes seem to work great if you don't link, but in release mode i generally use SDK linking. Anyone else seen this? Have a workaround other than don't use linking?

I have this issue too. I put my build into test flight and it was all broken.

I have same probrem. It appears blank page with linking option.
    It is not problem when "Supported architectures" is set to "(only)ARMv7" or "Enable device-specific builds" is turned on, though linking option is enabled.

+1 for hiding horizontal scrollbars

• NicolasKrierNicolasKrier FRMember ✭✭
    edited July 2016

Hi, I'm using the new CarouselView.
    Inside this carousel view, i display several images.
    It works great on iOS but it display nothing on Android.

It works really great on iOS because the CarouselItem.BindingContext is set. But on Android, the item's binding context is not coupled to the item's bindingcontext but to the carousel's binding context.

It results that on Android, my data template's binding path are not found because it looks inside the pageviewmodel instead of looking inside the "CarouselItem"'s bindingcontext.

The only workaround I found is to get rid of bindings on the carousel. And add items in code by adding Image with source set with the item.url (in the for each loop). But I'd rather have things working in xaml with mvvm approach.

Tested on Galaxay Note I - API 16 -Doesn't work
    Tested on emulator on API 23 - Works great

Is it a bug ? Or my device ?

I faced severals Sequence Contains More than one Elements Exception on Android.

But nice stuff XF team !!! Thanks a lot

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@NicolasKrier, ContentView is already in Beta.. there are some problems...
    BTW you should post a Repo on GitHub about your problem so we can take a look...

• NicolasKrierNicolasKrier FRMember ✭✭

@AlessandroCaliaro said:
    @NicolasKrier, ContentView is already in Beta.. there are some problems...
    BTW you should post a Repo on GitHub about your problem so we can take a look...

Yea I know. Do you know if there is a place where the known issues for contentView are reported ?
    I'll create a PoC project this weekend so I can even send it to Xamarin if it's a bug.
    By the way, thanks for the answer

• AlessandroCaliaroAlessandroCaliaro ITMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Should be on Bugzilla.Xamarin.com

I really would not advice anybody to use CarouselView unless we get to pre2 because there are so many already filed bugs in there that will be fixed in pre2.

• Sam___DSam___D USUniversity ✭✭

@ThomasBurkhart said:
    I really would not advice anybody to use CarouselView unless we get to pre2 because there are so many already filed bugs in there that will be fixed in pre2.

Could you give us a timeframe for the release of pre2?

Unfortunately no, I mailed with the responsible dev from Xamarin and they are too busy at the moment with the next release of Xamarin.Forms so he could not promise anything.

• IceJovanoskiIceJovanoski MKMember ✭✭

@ThomasBurkhart said:
    Unfortunately no, I mailed with the responsible dev from Xamarin and they are too busy at the moment with the next release of Xamarin.Forms so he could not promise anything.

Hi @ThomasBurkhart,

Do you have any ETA for the next version of Xamarin.Forms?

No

• IceJovanoskiIceJovanoski MKMember ✭✭
    edited July 2016

Okay, thanks for the fast reply, we've had a discussion over twitter with @JamesMontemagno about some problems I've had with carousel view, not sure if there's already a bug filed about it, or I'm doing something wrong. I've also put up an example on github, if you have the time to look at that.

Thanks in advance.

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

Worried by the lack of progress and response from Xamarin.

4 months since CarouselView was released to the world in preview (Xamarin.Forms 2.2.0.4 Pre-1 releaesed on April 5th) Community have filed bugs in bugzilla but no reply from any Xamarin representative in this thread

Is anyone actually listening at Xamarin?

@JKay I'm thinking the XF team is pretty small and they have many other things to work on. You'd expect Microsoft to beef up the size of the team. Such a shame.

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭

@AdrianKnight I think you're right about the small team. Although I have asked previously for CarouselView to be open sourced but received no reply.

I guess Microsoft are profit driven so I'd imagine they will be pushing everything towards azure where they make their money.

Although for me Xamarin.Forms provides a way to build UWP applications with no effort where they would otherwise be completely neglected, with Android and iOS taking precedence in the real world.

• MiguelCervantesMiguelCervantes MXMember ✭✭✭

@AdrianKnight @JKay I think they are planning something cool just let them do the magic!

• ToddHardinToddHardin USMember ✭✭

Possibly more of a question about Xamarin.Forms version numbers... my appologies as I'm just getting into Xamarin this past couple weeks.

https://www.nuget.org/packages/Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView/2.3.0-pre1
    Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView version 2.3.0-pre1 the NuGet page says that is requires Xamarin.Forms >= 2.3.0.42-pre3

Looking at the version history at the bottom of the Xamarin.Forms NuGet page... there was never a Zamarin.Forms version of 2.3.0.42-pre3. Instead there WAS a version of Xamarin.Forms numbered 2.3.0.46-pre3https://www.nuget.org/packages/Xamarin.Forms/2.3.0.46-pre3

Was the 2.3.0.42-pre3 just a "typo" - or do the "-pre#" releases move around a bit or something?

Just trying to get up to speed with how to interpret dependencies and version numbers, and this specific case is making me doubt my understanding.

Thanks

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭

@MiguelCervantes I hope you're right

• BryanHunterXamBryanHunterXam USXamarin Team Xamurai

@ToddHardin said:
    Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView version 2.3.0-pre1 the NuGet page says that is requires Xamarin.Forms >= 2.3.0.42-pre3
    Was the 2.3.0.42-pre3 just a "typo" - or do the "-pre#" releases move around a bit or something?

Good eye. All builds after 2.3.0.42-pre3 should work fine, but here are the details on that mysterious build "42":

Build "Xamarin.Forms 2.3.0.42-pre3" was published Saturday, May 28, 2016, but it had a packaging issue that was quickly spotted and corrected. Since there were no code changes (just packaging changes) that build was unpublished and replaced with Xamarin.Forms 2.3.0.46-pre3 on Monday, May 30, 2016.

• ToddHardinToddHardin USMember ✭✭

@BryanHunterXam - ah, mystery solved! I feel much better about understanding the versioning now.