Stable Release: Cycle 7 Feature Release

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan ZagaeskiUSForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited June 2016 in General

Release info

Please see https://blog.xamarin.com/live-from-dotnetconf-cycle-7-xamarin-studio-6-and-more/ for an overview of the new features, and https://releases.xamarin.com/stable-release-cycle-7/ for the details about this release.

Bug reports and questions

As always, be sure to search briefly through the Release Blog post, release notes, documentation, and previous bug reports for any existing answers. After that, choose the appropriate next step:

• File a bug using the "Cycle 7" new bug form if you have found an issue that only happens on Cycle 7 (or if you have found an issue that you otherwise suspect is a bug).

• Post a question on Stack Overflow if you have hit an issue and are not yet sure if it is a bug, or if you have a follow-up question about a new feature beyond what is covered in the documentation and release notes.

• Post a reply directly in this forum discussion if you have a follow-up question or comment about this release that is not suitable for a bug report or Stack Overflow such as "What is in this release?", "When...?", or "Where...?"

Updating and downgrading

You can install this new Stable version by checking for updates on the Stable updater channel.

You can downgrade back to the previous Cycle 6 Stable versions by manually reinstalling each old package. See the "Get the latest stable version of Cycle 6" section on your account page: https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads#cycle6. If you have any trouble downloading the previous versions from that link, would like to install an older set of versions, or simply would prefer an email with all the installer links you need, feel free to contact contact@xamarin.com.

Important: If you switch back to the (Cycle 6) XamarinVS after trying Cycle 7, you must delete the following 2 files to pair again successfully with the Mac build host:

• %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\MonoTouch\id_rsa
  • %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\MonoTouch\id_rsa.pub

Otherwise you will get an error: "Unable to connect to Address... with User..." or "Private key is encrypted but passphrase is empty."

Compatibility notes

• AdamLonsdale.3550AdamLonsdale.3550 Adam Lonsdale GBUniversity ✭✭

It concerns me that there is a bug preventing iOS HTTPS requests using HttpClient using Apple's SSL in the stable release as described in bug 41206. When will this be resolved?

Mono.Security.Interface.TlsException: Unknown Secure Transport error `ClosedGraceful'

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

It looks like there was a recent reply on the bug report about the timeline for Bug 41206, so I'll copy it here:

In both XM and XI you can select the older/existing managed Mono TLS stack until SR1 is out with a fix.

"SR1" in this case is referring to "Cycle 7 – Service Release 1", which currently has a tentative timeline of about 1 month after this initial Cycle 7 Stable release.

• NealCulinerNealCuliner Neal Culiner USBeta ✭✭✭

As we still cannot use C7 due to a Core Data crasher (bug is open and investigating), is it possible to remain on Xam.iOS cycle 6 but only install the new IDE to enjoy the new UI and better Roslyn integration? If so, what would need to be installed for IDE only on Mac, i.e. just XS or XS and Mono? Are there separate installers to do this?

Thank you.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited June 2016

You can certainly give it a try. Often the coupling between the IDE and Mono and the SDKs is "loose" enough that using a newer IDE with older SDKs will work OK, but it is explicitly not a QA'd scenario.

just XS or XS and Mono

Correct. That'd be the thing to try. You can grab the Mono 4.4.0 installer from "Download Mono Universal Installer" on http://www.mono-project.com/download/. You can get the individual XS 6.0 installer using the technique shown on the KB article about downgrading.

• david21348david21348 david21348 USMember

I just upgraded to this release and I am seeing a huge performance degradation in the Newtonsoft.Json package.
    https://www.nuget.org/packages/newtonsoft.json/

Specifically, JsonConvert.DeserializeObject is about 100 times slower than prior to the upgrade. A json string that previously deserialized in 300ms now takes >30s.

Is anyone else seeing similar performance issues with this upgrade?
    I suspect there is heavy use of reflection in this library in order to dynamically instantiate the C# objects.

• MaciejGawelMaciejGawel Maciej Gawel PLMember

You got to be kidding me ! I was about to finish my app today, but unfortunately I restarted my VS. While starting I saw an update notification so I've made the update. After that I can't build anything!!! I see such an error: Modul 'Java.Interop, Version=0.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyInfo=84e04ff9cfb79065' should be referenced. Before this bloody update it wasn't needed somehow. Even if I add this .dll I get an exception that System.ObjectModel is missing, when I add this I get another exception and so on and so on.

I see such an error: Modul 'Java.Interop, Version=0.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyInfo=84e04ff9cfb79065'

There is some information about that issue in a few comments from a non-public bug report. I will add this information to the known issues in the release notes to make it visible for other users:

It might be Resharper and the way it "replaces and overrides the standard Visual Studio build process" ... See https://blog.jetbrains.com/dotnet/2015/10/15/introducing-resharper-build/.

It should be possible to disable that behavior. Could you try out if disabling it makes VS happy again?

I disabled Resharper and now it's okay.

Disabling Resharper helped indeed, but I've still got the second error: The type 'System.ComponentModel.INotifyPropertyChanged' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System.ObjectModel, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'. Even if I add this reference I get next 3 similiar errors. As I already said, before the update everything was just fine. What should I do now, completely reinstall Xamarin?

edited June 2016

If you're in a pinch for time, the simplest way to get back up and running would be to downgrade as mentioned under "Updating and downgrading" in the first post in the thread.

If you have time to do a bit more digging on the remaining issues you are seeing, you can file a bug using the "Cycle 7" new bug form. For this kind of issue where the problem only happens with a specific project, it is highly recommended to minimize your full project to the smallest sample that still shows the problem and then attach the minimized version (optionally privately) on the bug report. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the rapid answers, I'll start with downgrading and when I'm done with the app I'll do my best to report the bug.

• VinnieVivaceVinnieVivace Vinnie Vivace NZMember ✭✭

Im getting NoContent responses when using RestSharp (105.2.3). Have triple checked the request using Postman where the correct response is received. Any ideas?

• VahidKowsariVahidKowsari Vahid Kowsari USMember

Almost everytime I update Xamarin the results are disastrous. This time it is happening with RestSharp.

I am getting really slow processing of RestSharp responses. I can see that the request are going thru properly and responses are sent back to IOS, but it takes almost a minute to get a callback for the async result.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

• jmezachjmezach Jonathan Mezach USMember

@MaciejGawel said:
    Disabling Resharper helped indeed, but I've still got the second error: The type 'System.ComponentModel.INotifyPropertyChanged' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System.ObjectModel, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'. Even if I add this reference I get next 3 similiar errors. As I already said, before the update everything was just fine. What should I do now, completely reinstall Xamarin?

I had this problem as well with Visual Studio 2013 Update 5, but I can compile my application just fine with Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 RC.

• ThanhNguyen.7729ThanhNguyen.7729 Thanh Nguyen USMember

@MaciejGawel said:

I had this problem too, I use Visual Studio 2013 update 4.

Now I am trying to downgrading and I hope it work :neutral:

• JcbJcb Jean-Christophe Bremond USMember
    edited June 2016

@ThanhNguyen.7729 said:

@MaciejGawel said:

I had this problem too, I use Visual Studio 2013 update 4.

Now I am trying to downgrading and I hope it work :neutral:

Same problem for me ...
    :-(

Edit : Downgrade ok with Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.0.4.4.msi :neutral:

• chisigochisigo Eduard Lorente USMember
    edited June 2016

Was a temporary problem. Solved.

-

In my team we noticed that now occurs an error with the ListView Property: CachingStrategy. It throws a "Property Not Found" exception

It seems that there is a problem with this code line:
    public ListView([ParameterAttribute("CachingStrategy")] ListViewCachingStrategy cachingStrategy);

• PierreNOIZATPierreNOIZAT Pierre NOIZAT FRMember

Can't open my solution since the update "Could not load solution : /Users/xxxxxxxxx/App.sln" "Load operation failed"

This is a huge solution which contains 8 projects

Tried to remove the userprefs file in vain

Xamarin.ANDROID/iOS PCL with Xamarin Studio

• DirkWilhelmDirkWilhelm Dirk Wilhelm USMember ✭✭✭

In Xamarain Studio on Mac i only get the latest ios simulator (9.3). All other simulators are installed through XCode. They were available in the alpha channel.

• kenkosmowskikenkosmowski Ken Kosmowski USMember

@BrendanZagaeski said:

I see such an error: Modul 'Java.Interop, Version=0.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyInfo=84e04ff9cfb79065'

There is some information about that issue in a few comments from a non-public bug report. I will add this information to the known issues in the release notes to make it visible for other users:

It might be Resharper and the way it "replaces and overrides the standard Visual Studio build process" ... See https://blog.jetbrains.com/dotnet/2015/10/15/introducing-resharper-build/.

It should be possible to disable that behavior. Could you try out if disabling it makes VS happy again?

I disabled Resharper and now it's okay.

How to track this issue while it is a non-public bug report?

• IvanIcinIvanIcin Ivan Icin USMember
    edited June 2016

I can't connect to the Mac anymore from VS2015 Update 2. It is strange that I briefly get the "connected" icon with the waiting circle overlaid on top of it, then the connected icon dissapears and then after some time waiting circle disappears too. There is the text Starting Mac Agent in the status bar. Visual Studio sometimes also crashes during this process.

As I can't wait for the fix or workaround I am going back to Cycle 6, but just wanted to report this.

• Lewis_tLewis_t Lewis Todd GBUniversity

I can't open my solution with XS 6 on mac. This is an ios/android solution including native and forms projects and pcl's. I receive an error that states "Load operation failed." and don't get as far as the solution explorer.

This is a large solution with approx 25 projects. Is there anything i could check to try and work out what's going on?

• PierreNOIZATPierreNOIZAT Pierre NOIZAT FRMember

@Lewis_t said:
    I can't open my solution with XS 6 on mac. This is an ios/android solution including native and forms projects and pcl's. I receive an error that states "Load operation failed." and don't get as far as the solution explorer.

This is a large solution with approx 25 projects. Is there anything i could check to try and work out what's going on?

Thats what happening to me... Opened an issue

• timutimu Timucin Kabak USMember

XamarinVS did have the problem of enabling incremental builds for physical devices but now with the Cycle 7 Xamarin Studio on Mac also have this problem. When can we expect a solution for that since it really decreases build times?

• MattButlerMattButler Matt Butler USUniversity ✭✭

I too, have the

Error 6 The type 'System.ComponentModel.INotifyPropertyChanged' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System.ObjectModel, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'.

and

Error 3 The type 'System.Collections.Generic.List1<T0> is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System.Collections, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'.'

downgrading

• ChristopherDrososChristopherDrosos Christopher Drosos GRMember ✭✭
    edited June 2016

on updating i get an error:

msiexec failed: Error 1603

'Starting installation
    Stopping Xamarin Studio
    Xamarin Studio Stopped
    Installing Xamarin
    >>>>> Begin msiexec log
    === Logging started: 9/6/2016  17:58:11 ===
    Action start 17:58:11: INSTALL.
    Action start 17:58:11: ProgramFilesFolder.E6FFF2A6_3B50_4EC5_8168_7410B7B2CBB6.
    Action ended 17:58:11: ProgramFilesFolder.E6FFF2A6_3B50_4EC5_8168_7410B7B2CBB6. Return value 1.
    Action start 17:58:11: FindRelatedProducts.
    Action ended 17:58:11: FindRelatedProducts. Return value 1.
    Action start 17:58:11: AppSearch.
    Action ended 17:58:11: AppSearch. Return value 1.
    Action start 17:58:11: SetVS2013Vsix.
    Action ended 17:58:11: SetVS2013Vsix. Return value 1.
    Action start 17:58:11: WixQueryOsWellKnownSID.
    Action ended 17:58:11: WixQueryOsWellKnownSID. Return value 1.
    Action start 17:58:11: LaunchConditions.
    MSI (s) (9C:E0) [17:58:11:865]: Product: Xamarin -- This setup requires Microsoft Build Tools 2015 package to be installed for this installation to continue.

This setup requires Microsoft Build Tools 2015 package to be installed for this installation to continue.
    Action ended 17:58:11: LaunchConditions. Return value 3.
    Action ended 17:58:11: INSTALL. Return value 3.
    Property(S): UpgradeCode = {08C9B12D-289F-44C8-9A88-DC990510EC89}
    Property(S): APPLE_BONJOUR_INSTALLED = C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\
    Property(S): NETFRAMEWORK45 = #394254
    Property(S): APPDIR12 = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Xamarin\Xamarin\
    Property(S): APPDIR14 = G:\VS14_WRAPPER\Xamarin\Xamarin\
    Property(S): VS2012DEVENV = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
    Property(S): VS2012_ROOT_FOLDER = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\
    Property(S): VS2012_EXTENSIONS_DIR = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\
    Property(S): VS2012_SCHEMAS_DIR = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Xml\Schemas\
    Property(S): VS2013DEVENV = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
    Property(S): VS2013_ROOT_FOLDER = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\
    Property(S): VS2013_EXTENSIONS_DIR = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\
    Property(S): VS2013_SCHEMAS_DIR = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Xml\Schemas\
    Property(S): VS2012_VSIX_INSTALLER_PATH = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\VSIXInstaller.exe
    Property(S): VS2013_VSIX_INSTALLER_PATH = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\VSIXInstaller.exe
    Property(S): VS_VSIX_INSTALLER_PATH = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\VSIXInstaller.exe
    Property(S): HAVE_PCL = C:\
    Property(S): MSBUILDIMPORTDIR = C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\
    Property(S): MSBUILD4IMPORTDIR = C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\4.0\Microsoft.Common.targets\
    Property(S): MSBUILD12IMPORTDIR = C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\Microsoft.Common.targets\
    Property(S): WixUIRMOption = UseRM
    Property(S): ALLUSERS = 1
    Property(S): CommonFilesFolder = C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\
    Property(S): ProgramFilesFolder = C:\Program Files (x86)\
    Property(S): CommonAppDataFolder = C:\ProgramData\
    Property(S): VersionNT = 603
    Property(S): Privileged = 1
    Property(S): REINSTALLMODE = amus
    Property(S): NotesURL = http://docs.xamarin.com/releases/vs/xamarin.vs_3/xamarin.vs_4.1.0.530
    Property(S): ARPPRODUCTICON = MainIcon.ico
    Property(S): Manufacturer = Xamarin
    Property(S): ProductCode = {C4CB71E1-E77B-4DBD-95A5-B2E9A9252629}
    Property(S): ProductLanguage = 1033
    Property(S): ProductName = Xamarin
    Property(S): ProductVersion = 4.1.0.530
    Property(S): DefaultUIFont = WixUI_Font_Normal
    Property(S): WixUI_Mode = FeatureTree
    Property(S): ErrorDialog = ErrorDlg
    Property(S): SecureCustomProperties = NETFRAMEWORK45;VS_VSIX_INSTALLER_PATH;VS15_EXTENSIONS_DIR;VS15_ROOT_FOLDER;VS15_SCHEMAS_DIR;VS15DEVENV;VS15DEVENVDIR;VS2010_VSIX_INSTALLER_PATH;VS2012_EXTENSIONS_DIR;VS2012_ROOT_FOLDER;VS2012_SCHEMAS_DIR;VS2012_VSIX_INSTALLER_PATH;VS2012DEVENV;VS2013_EXTENSIONS_DIR;VS2013_ROOT_FOLDER;VS2013_SCHEMAS_DIR;VS2013_VSIX_INSTALLER_PATH;VS2013DEVENV;VS2015_EXTENSIONS_DIR;VS2015_ROOT_FOLDER;VS2015_SCHEMAS_DIR;VS2015DEVENV;WIX_ACCOUNT_USERS;WIX_UPGRADE_DETECTED;XA_OLD;XIOS_OLD
    Property(S): WIX_UPGRADE_DETECTED = {83894558-60BB-4993-AD3F-D813FBBA707C}
    Property(S): ProgramFilesFolder.E6FFF2A6_3B50_4EC5_8168_7410B7B2CBB6 = C:\Program Files (x86)\
    Property(S): MsiLogFileLocation = C:\Users\Exoskeletor\AppData\Local\Temp\tmpC24F.tmp
    Property(S): PackageCode = {F9EB4577-24BB-406E-92AF-3E416218FCD8}
    Property(S): ProductState = -1
    Property(S): PackagecodeChanging = 1
    Property(S): REBOOT = ReallySuppress
    Property(S): CURRENTDIRECTORY = C:\Program Files (x86)\Xamarin Studio\bin
    Property(S): CLIENTUILEVEL = 3
    Property(S): CLIENTPROCESSID = 2348
    Property(S): MsiRestartManagerSessionKey = ebc7cd3f3d286b4d8ed854eee72fee9c
    Property(S): VersionDatabase = 405
    Property(S): VersionMsi = 5.00
    Property(S): VersionNT64 = 603
    Property(S): WindowsBuild = 9600
    Property(S): ServicePackLevel = 0
    Property(S): ServicePackLevelMinor = 0
    Property(S): MsiNTProductType = 1
    Property(S): WindowsFolder = C:\WINDOWS\
    Property(S): WindowsVolume = C:\
    Property(S): System64Folder = C:\WINDOWS\system32\
    Property(S): SystemFolder = C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\
    Property(S): RemoteAdminTS = 1
    Property(S): TempFolder = C:\Users\EXOSKE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\
    Property(S): ProgramFiles64Folder = C:\Program Files\
    Property(S): CommonFiles64Folder = C:\Program Files\Common Files\
    Property(S): AppDataFolder = C:\Users\Exoskeletor\AppData\Roaming\
    Property(S): FavoritesFolder = C:\Users\Exoskeletor\Favorites\
    Property(S): NetHoodFolder = C:\Users\Exoskeletor\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts\
    Property(S): PersonalFolder = C:\Users\Exoskeletor\Documents\
    Property(S): PrintHoodFolder = C:\Users\Exoskeletor\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts\
    Property(S): RecentFolder = C:\Users\Exoskeletor\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\
    Property(S): SendToFolder = C:\Users\Exoskeletor\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo\
    Property(S): TemplateFolder = C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\
    Property(S): LocalAppDataFolder = C:\Users\Exoskeletor\AppData\Local\
    Property(S): MyPicturesFolder = C:\Users\Exoskeletor\Pictures\
    Property(S): AdminToolsFolder = C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\
    Property(S): StartupFolder = C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\
    Property(S): ProgramMenuFolder = C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\
    Property(S): StartMenuFolder = C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\
    Property(S): DesktopFolder = C:\Users\Public\Desktop\
    Property(S): FontsFolder = C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\
    Property(S): GPTSupport = 1
    Property(S): OLEAdvtSupport = 1
    Property(S): ShellAdvtSupport = 1
    Property(S): MsiAMD64 = 6
    Property(S): Msix64 = 6
    Property(S): Intel = 6
    Property(S): PhysicalMemory = 4095
    Property(S): VirtualMemory = 1237
    Property(S): AdminUser = 1
    Property(S): MsiTrueAdminUser = 1
    Property(S): LogonUser = Exoskeletor
    Property(S): UserSID = S-1-5-21-3343113300-2442826517-240983741-1000
    Property(S): UserLanguageID = 1032
    Property(S): ComputerName = EXOSKELETOR-PC
    Property(S): SystemLanguageID = 1032
    Property(S): ScreenX = 1024
    Property(S): ScreenY = 768
    Property(S): CaptionHeight = 23
    Property(S): BorderTop = 1
    Property(S): BorderSide = 1
    Property(S): TextHeight = 16
    Property(S): TextInternalLeading = 3
    Property(S): ColorBits = 32
    Property(S): TTCSupport = 1
    Property(S): Time = 17:58:11
    Property(S): Date = 6/9/2016
    Property(S): MsiNetAssemblySupport = 4.6.1038.0
    Property(S): MsiWin32AssemblySupport = 6.3.10586.0
    Property(S): RedirectedDllSupport = 2
    Property(S): MsiRunningElevated = 1
    Property(S): USERNAME = Windows User
    Property(S): DATABASE = C:\WINDOWS\Installer\1fcc452.msi
    Property(S): OriginalDatabase = C:\Users\Exoskeletor\AppData\Local\XamarinStudio-5.0\Cache\TempDownload\Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.1.0.530.msi
    Property(S): UILevel = 2
    Property(S): ACTION = INSTALL
    Property(S): WIX_ACCOUNT_LOCALSYSTEM = NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Property(S): WIX_ACCOUNT_LOCALSERVICE = NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
    Property(S): WIX_ACCOUNT_NETWORKSERVICE = NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
    Property(S): WIX_ACCOUNT_ADMINISTRATORS = BUILTIN\Administrators
    Property(S): WIX_ACCOUNT_USERS = BUILTIN\Users
    Property(S): WIX_ACCOUNT_GUESTS = BUILTIN\Guests
    MSI (s) (9C:E0) [17:58:11:895]: Product: Xamarin -- Installation failed.

MSI (s) (9C:E0) [17:58:11:896]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Xamarin. Product Version: 4.1.0.530. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Xamarin. Installation success or error status: 1603.

=== Logging stopped: 9/6/2016  17:58:11 ===

<<<<< End msiexec log
    `

This setup requires Microsoft Build Tools 2015 package to be installed for this installation to continue.

@ChristopherDrosos,

That is the expected (though unfortunately rather unpleasant) behavior, as noted in the first post in the thread:

[Xamarin Studio] The Cycle 7 version of Xamarin Studio on Windows requires both Microsoft Build Tools 2013 (or Visual Studio 2013) and Microsoft Build Tools 2015 (or Visual Studio 2015) to be installed.

I am working on adding the exact error message to the Xamarin Studio release notes for a bit better visibility.

Also keep in mind that:

We encourage Windows developers to move to Visual Studio.

(https://www.xamarin.com/faq#xpq6)

'System.ComponentModel.INotifyPropertyChanged' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System.ObjectModel, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'

I had this problem as well with Visual Studio 2013 Update 5, but I can compile my application just fine with Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 RC.

I was able to replicate this problem using a Xamarin sample app. I am now filing a high priority bug for it. I will post another update on the issue once the bug is filed.

• JeremyKolbJeremyKolb Jeremy Kolb USMember ✭✭✭

@BrendanZagaeski How are testing the Xamarin sample apps NOT part of the QA procedure?

edited June 2016

I'm afraid that's outside my domain of knowledge. I suspect the answer might be roughly that mathematically it is not feasible to test all the samples against all of the possible environments given practical considerations of finite time constraints and resource limitations. But I will have to defer to other members of the Xamarin team to fill in details on that.

Another interesting thought question would be "how was the issue never reported by any users during Beta testing?"

To look at the sample test coverage question sort of "the other way around," it is certainly a nice objective to aim to have each successive Xamarin feature release tested against a higher and higher proportion of the possible combinations of samples vs. supported environments. That problem could attacked to some degree by increasing the physical resources allocated toward testing, but also importantly by reducing the number of supported scenarios. Combining both strategies would probably a good idea, at least in theory.

Side-by-side installations of Beta and Stable versions is on a long-term internal wish list for Xamarin features. Supporting that feature would unfortunately introduce new technical complexities. So for now we are limited to the admittedly somewhat inefficient process for switching channels. From a purely academic standpoint, the thought question about how the issue was not reported by any users during Beta testing might simply suggest that the population of Beta users isn't too large, otherwise the 5 reports about the problem on this forum thread would have come in during the Beta. Bug bounties for beta versions are also at least academically another interesting idea to consider.

So, for me downgrading did the trick (VS 2013), thanks again Brendan for ultraquick responses :)

'System.ComponentModel.INotifyPropertyChanged' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System.ObjectModel

I have now filed Bug 41665 for this error and added it to list of known issues for both Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.VS. I have also escalated it to the engineering team for further investigation. As mentioned in the text of the known issues, my brief experimentation so far suggests that it might be possible to work around the issue for now by adding each of the missing facades one after the other. Admittedly that approach might be a little tedious, and it would add some "code churn" in the .csproj because the explicit facade references could be removed again after the bug is fixed.

edited June 2016

Brendan. Any thoughts on the RestSharp issue? Seeing others report horrible performance, but im not even getting that, only noContent responses. Would really appreciate any feedback you can offer. Thanks.

(have emailed support already, no response as yet)

To help distribute the work of testing new user-reported bugs properly across the Xamarin team, please file a bug using the "Cycle 7" new bug form if you have found an issue that only happens on Cycle 7. It is highly recommended to minimize your full project to the smallest sample that still shows the problem and then attach the minimized version (optionally privately) on the bug report. You can then reply back on this thread with the bug number for thorough cross-referencing. Thanks in advance!

• dpedrinhadpedrinha Daniel Georgii DEMember ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

How did it made to stable channel? It feels like alpha. Didn't anybody tried to build a project with it before going to stable?

And more important, why is it still there?

Rollback and save the lucky ones who didn't work since yesterday.

dpedrinha, what issue are you seeing in particular? If your comment is in reference to the 'System.ComponentModel.INotifyPropertyChanged' issue, then as discussed above, note that the issue was an unfortunate instance where the existing testing matrix simply did not cover that (fairly specific) scenario and no users reported the problem during the Beta period. That scenario will be covered by the test matrix for future releases.

A follow-up hotfix release is under preparation to be published to the Stable channel on a short time scale to address Bug 41665 and probably a couple other newly identified issues in Cycle 7. Providing a quick turnaround on hotfixes is the standard approach Xamarin has used to address newly identified issues in feature releases in the past.

• ChrisHardyChrisHardy Chris Hardy GBForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@PierreNOIZAT @Lewis_t Just to follow up on your issue, there's a bug here with some more requested information, it looks like the error message might be triggered by multiple project configurations, so if you could share on the bug (rather than on the forum to keep things organised on that front) with the information on Comment 6, then that will help us figure out your problems here and get you up and running again: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=41643

• DonMesserli.1843DonMesserli.1843 Don Messerli USMember
    edited June 2016

Doing an AdHoc build with Xamarin Studio 6.0.0 I am asked where I want my On-Demand Resources to go (in the app bundle or on a website). I haven't added any Resource Tags. Why am I being asked this question?

edited June 2016

have logged a bug for the RestSharp issue:

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=41676

Basically anytime you make a request to an https endpoint you get a SecureChannelFailure error.

This may be specific to Mono / .net 4.5

This discussion has been closed.