Visual Studio "Find Source" Dialog Box Error

sqltsqlt USMember

I am often presented with a "Find Source" dialog box from VS when running my apps in debug mode. It's causing a lot of crashes, specifically with Android apps. I have it ask consistently for Socket.cs, HttpWebRequest.cs, and SyncContext.cs. Is there a setting or something that I can change so it can find those .cs files? I don't want to have to go in and find those source files every time my app launches.

If I click "Cancel" on the dialog, it throws exceptions at me and causes breaks/crashes for my apps, sending me errors for socket request -> connection refused and others. This issue happened a few times before, but is awfully consistent with Android now. It's really tough to debug when it won't find those files.

I'm pretty new to Xamarin, so this may be a really dumb question, but I appreciate any help you folks can provide.

• HunumanHunuman GBMember ✭✭✭✭

@sqlt

Not sure if this is relevant, but I had similar issues when I used to use the Shared project approach instead of a PCL based approach.

I didn't have time to find the solution, so I just switched to over to PCL.
    Since then I haven't had a reason to switch back.

Tim

• sqltsqlt USMember

@Hunuman

I'm actually using a PCL project instead of a Shared project. Now those socket connections errors, and the above "Find Source" options are getting in my way of being able to test on release or debug mode. The app is just crashing now. :disappointed:

• kileraptor1kileraptor1 CHMember

I'm having the exact same problem on both of my devices. I have recreated the project several times and I can't stop thinking I'm missing something, but I cannot think of what I could be missing. You said you found the files in the project? I can't find those.

• sqltsqlt USMember

@kileraptor1

Sorry, no. I looked once and didn't see them, but decided it would be too much time to try and find the files each time I compile to debug. I've rebuilt the project several times, cleaned it, restarted VS and the emulator, but nothing has worked.

Are you using VS or Xamarin Studio? Maybe the issue is isolated to VS?

• kileraptor1kileraptor1 CHMember

@sqlt said:
    @kileraptor1

Sorry, no. I looked once and didn't see them, but decided it would be too much time to try and find the files each time I compile to debug. I've rebuilt the project several times, cleaned it, restarted VS and the emulator, but nothing has worked.

Are you using VS or Xamarin Studio? Maybe the issue is isolated to VS?

I'm using Visual Studio. I haven't tried Xamarin Studio, and since my usage of Xamarin is limited to school purposes only and nearing its end, I haven't really bothered myself too much with it.

• sqltsqlt USMember

So, I'm posting the "answer" here in case anyone else finds this thread.

The issue seems to be exclusive to VS, and is not seen in Xamarin Studio. I've seen that reinstalling Xamarin seemed to do the trick, although that's awfully inconvenient.