Forum Cross Platform with Xamarin

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

MonoTouch for Windows

TeddyTeddy DEMember
edited October 2012 in Cross Platform with Xamarin

I have installed "Mono for Android" on my Windows OS.
Then I have created a Test-Application to test how i can share it to iOS or Windows Phone 7.
But i can't do this :/
Exists a solution for this problem under Windows? Or can i only do this on MAC?

• OldRedthOldRedth USMember, Insider ✭✭✭

@Teddy

Check out Greg Shackles' work on Cross platform mobile dev:
    Xamarin Webinar:
    Book: http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920024002.do

• BryanCostanichBryanCostanich USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Also, if Visual Studio is your primary environment, I've created a bit of a walkthrough here: http://www.slideshare.net/bryancostanich/crossplatform-mobile-development-in-visual-studio

• UlrikeUlrike USBeta

Does anyone have practical experience with the VSMonotouch plugin? Is anyone using it to share a large codebase across platforms (Windows/iOS) and development environments (VS/Monodevelop)?

• StuartLodgeStuartLodge USBeta ✭✭✭
    edited October 2012

@Ulrike - yes I've used it lots and so have quite a few others. There's the odd glitch and you still need to compile and test on Mac. But in general it works really well.

Using DropBox to share between Mac and PC works really well too.

There was a rumour (maybe even a NYC demo?!) of a Xamarin VS plugin a few months back - including remote compiling on the mac - I really hope that's real - and that it arrives soon :)

• UlrikeUlrike USBeta

@StuartLodge -- thanks! About the odd glitch -- the Readme for VSMonoTouch implies that it will build projects in VS (not compile them of course), and they will also build in MonoDevelop. I'm thinking we could use this as a gate-check for a dev using Visual Studio to see if a check-in will at least build in Monodevelop.
    Just started exploring git-tf and that looks like it will work for our sharing needs.

As for the rumoured Xamarin VS plugin -- I agree. I hope it's soon!

Any issues I've seen are listed in https://github.com/follesoe/VSMonoTouch/issues

But I also hack the VS and MT environments a bit to get Portable libraries building :)

• moljacmoljac HRBeta ✭✭✭

I'm using it heavily no isuess at all... But new projects popping out, then missing support for
    Win Mobile (CF and Smart device). So, I took the code. Did some refactoring to understand,
    added new Guids (I think for MonoMac, MT Bindings library, etc...)

Here is result:
    https://github.com/moljac/MonoVersalProjectFlavesForVisualStudio2010

If You have this add-in, first uninstall it in VS and then reapply vsix - this was only issue I can remeber.

mel

Is anyone else having problems with VSMonoTouch in VS2010 after installing VS2012 as well as VS2010?

I'm seeing all sorts of nastiness at present - things like Linq errors - it seems to be trying to make everything Parallel and so is reporting things like:

Error 280 'System.Linq.ParallelEnumerable.Where()' is not supported by the language

for code like:

var dictionary = this.GetType()
                    .Assembly
                    .GetTypes()
                    .Where(t => t.Name.EndsWith("ViewModel"))
                    .Where(t => !t.Name.StartsWith("Base"))
                    .ToDictionary(t => t.Name, t => t.Name);

which used to compile just fine on Mac and PC :/

• moljacmoljac HRBeta ✭✭✭

I had similar in VS 2010 when worked on cross platform MonoMobile.Dialog.

Error 58
    The call is ambiguous between the following methods or properties: 'MonoMobile.Dialog.Section.Add(MonoMobile.Dialog.Element)' and 'MonoMobile.Dialog.Section.Add(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<MonoMobile.Dialog.Element>)' .\MonoMobile.Dialog\XSample.MT.Original.MiguelDeIcaza\DemoElementApi.cs
    27 6 XSample.MT.Original.MiguelDeIcaza

VS issue only. MD compiles fine.

Lack of time prevented us to investigate why VS screams. When those errors are the only ones, I
    switch to MD/win check everything and then off to Mac.

m