Confused.

RayyanRayyan GBMember

Hello everybody,

I'm having some slight confusion when it comes to Xamarin. I'm not sure as to whether or not it's possible for me to develop an iOS app in Windows, if I do not own a MAC.

It's asking me to connect a MAC before I can run the build of my program.

Is there anyway around this, eg connecting my iPhone?

Answers

• stvansolanostvansolano UMInsider, University ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

Hello @Rayyan, sonce you are targeting native apps it will necessarily require you to have either develop over a Mac or remotely debug by connecting it.

A workaround for this is to use the recently released iOS simulator for Windows which is available from the Alpha channel. Here is a guide for it.

Hope it helps.

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

You still have to have a Mac. Nothing has changed there. This just allows you to interact with the simulator on the Windows machine, so you don't need a monitor connected to the Mac. The simulator on the Mac is "remoted" to the Windows machine, it's not an actual simulator running on Windows. The build is also performed on the Mac.

Only Apple can remove the requirement that builds be done on a Mac. If that ever happens, you'll hear about it on your favorite TV news broadcast. ;-)

• RayyanRayyan GBMember

Would it be possible to use an iPhone as an Xamarin Remote Agent?

Also, I've been looking at MacInCloud, is this a possibility?

• JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@Rayyan,

It's not possible to use your iPhone as an agent. You need a Mac. I've seen some people using MacInCloud, so I assume it's possible. For the best experience, you should have one on your local network.