Forum Visual Studio

Stepping into code from nuget package in Xamarin for Mac

JohnDBJohnDB USMember ✭✭
edited May 2016 in Visual Studio

We have an Android project that consumes our own nuget package. The nuget package contains symbols and source code and when debugging on windows (in visual studio or xamarin studio) I can step into the source code of the nuget package.

When using Xamarin for Mac this does not work. I can see that Xamarin has generated .mdb debug symbols under the packages folder, but I cannot step into the source code, even with the "Debug project code only; do not step into framework code" debugger option switched off.

Can anyone tell me if stepping into source code supplied via a nuget package in Xamarin Studio on Mac should work?

Thanks in advance,
John.

• mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

It seems OK for me with a .NET Library class in Xamarin Studio 5.10 and with an Android project in Xamarin Studio 6.0.

My test was to create a simple NuGet package with a class that I could use in Android or a .NET project. Build it locally and make sure the .dll.mdb is included. Then create another project on the same machine and add the NuGet package. With 'Debug Project code only' unchecked I could step into the source code for the NuGet package. The only complication I had was with Xamarin Studio 5.10 for some reason the .dll.mdb file was not copied to the bin directory and until it was copied I could not step into the code for the NuGet package.

• JohnDBJohnDB USMember ✭✭
    edited June 2016

Is it necessary to include the MDB's? I thought they were converted from the pdb's by Xamarin as part of the build?

• mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai

Possibly. I know there is some code that does that conversion. I would need to test it.