Forum Xamarin Xamarin.iOS

Deploy to iPhone via Mac in Cloud

Gigex42Gigex42 USMember ✭✭✭✭

Hello!

I'm new to Xamarin development and need some help deploying and debuggin on my iPhone. (Xamarin Forms PCL project)

I'm developing with Visual Studio 2015 on a Windows Machine.
The Mac Agent of VS is connected to a virtual Mac (MacInCloud).

Running the App on a Simulator of the virtual Mac is no problem.

But when I want to deploy to a physical existing iPhone i get the message: "Please select a valid device before running the application."

In the Apple developer Program I registered my iPhone and created a provisioning profile and selected it in VS on the iOS Bundle Signing.

Is it even possible to debug over a virtual Mac or do I really need some physical Mac.

Thanks for the help!

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

Currently, the iPhone must be attached to the Mac to deploy and debug. Your other option however is to release to TestFlight and install the app to your device from there.

• Gigex42Gigex42 USMember ✭✭✭✭

Oh well means I have to get a Mac..

Do you have any suggestions for a cheap Mac? Do I have to considers something when buying one?

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

A future version of Xamarin will support USB port forwarding, whereby a remote Mac could be used and still deploy to a local iPhone. I have no idea if MacInCloud will be able to support that however.
    I personally use a Macbook PRO with Parallels for Visual Studio, but for a pure mac for build you can get a reasonably good mac mini off ebay, upgrade it to SSD if not already, just make sure its only a few years old (e.g. it supports El Capitan and the next OSX release).

• Gigex42Gigex42 USMember ✭✭✭✭

@JohnHair said:
    A future version of Xamarin will support USB port forwarding, whereby a remote Mac could be used and still deploy to a local iPhone. I have no idea if MacInCloud will be able to support that however.
    I personally use a Macbook PRO with Parallels for Visual Studio, but for a pure mac for build you can get a reasonably good mac mini off ebay, upgrade it to SSD if not already, just make sure its only a few years old (e.g. it supports El Capitan and the next OSX release).

Thanks for your help.

We bought now a Mac from eBay with El Capitan.
    Sadly cant wait for the USB support..