Beginner here. If I study Xamarin.Forms can I use the same knowledge to develop in Xamarin.Android?

andradedearthurandradedearthur USMember

So, I'm trying to get into mobile development. I'm completely new to it and know nothing about it. Xamarin seems like to way to go, since I'm already familiar with C# and Visual Studio. I'm doing an online training about Xamarin.Forms on Pluralsight (Introduction to Xamarin.Forms), but I'm still confused about some things. My main concern is if I should be learning Xamarin.Forms or Xamarin.Android. Of course that cross-plataform development it's an attractive concept, but I'm worried with it's limitations down the line, and I'm mainly worried with the fact that, if I need to develop Xamarin.Android apps, will the knowledge that I have about Xamarin.Forms be enough to get me started? How similar are Xamarin.Forms and Xamarin.Android? Will I get confused if I take courses at both? I would be really grateful if someone could help me with these questions.

Best Answer

Answers

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArthurAndrade:

First, to start development with Xamarin.Forms, my starter-guide may help you:
    http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/36821/quickstart-guide-to-start-developing-with-xamarin-forms#latest

Second to your questions:
    I have started to develop with Xamarin.Forms about 18 months ago and have my app in all three stores since a while.
    I principally love .forms as it principally is a great platform...
    For me, the "limitations" are not the problem, as you can do anything you need also in forms, by writing platform-specific code, if needed. I had only to write a bit such code in my app (and it's not a small app).
    But, for me the problem is, that .forms is anything else, than stable now (and since I have started to work with it).
    I can't live with new bugs and "evergreen-bugs" (bugs that was solved an reappears) by almost every new version.
    I really hope, that things becomes better, as MS has overtaken Xamarin now.
    So... I now have to develop a new app for a custom project, where only an Andorid-App is needed.
    If .Forms would be stable, I would develop it in .Forms, but as it is as it is... I want do develop it in Xamarin.Android.
    According to other users, Xamarin.Android should be much more stable, that .Forms (as the bugs come from the .Forms implementation)

I think (and hope), that the development isn't very different, but can't say it yet for sure...
    I will know it in a few weeks... :smile:

• andradedearthurandradedearthur USMember

Thank you for the answer @FredyWenger . I have already downloaded your guide and I'll start reading it today. But what about the knowledge in Xamarin.Forms being useful in Xamarin.Android and vice versa?

• FredyWengerFredyWenger CHInsider ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArthurAndrade:
    As I worte in my message:
    I think (and hope), that the development isn't very different, but can't say it yet for sure...
    I will know it in a few weeks... :smile:
    So.. I think so, but can't say it for sure yet...
    But... maybe some other users can say something to it...?