Forum Xamarin.Android

GCM Subscription Intent

cbravocbravo BOMember

Hello there,

I was just going over this tutorial: https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/application_fundamentals/notifications/android/remote_notifications_in_android/ and notice it uses an Android Intent to generate a token using GCM. As per my basic understanding, an Intent is a thread started to do an activity. My question is, why do I need to do it in an Intent? Can't I just use a button "generate token" to get my token and send it to the server?

Thank you in advance.

Greetings,

C.

Answers

• SHIVANKUCHAUHANSHIVANKUCHAUHAN USMember ✭✭✭

No, While registration It does not uses Intent to send and receive token, You just send senderId to GCM which gives you the registration Token. Here is a code

var instanceID = InstanceID.GetInstance (this);
    var token = instanceID.GetToken (
    "YOUR_SENDER_ID", GoogleCloudMessaging.InstanceIdScope, null);

However An intent is an abstract description of an operation to be performed. It can be used with startActivity to launch an Activity , broadcastIntent to send it to any interested BroadcastReceiver components, and startService(Intent) or bindService(Intent, ServiceConnection, int) to communicate with a background Service .

So, If you receive a Notification then if you want to go to an activity after clicking on a notification you basically uses PendingIntent to go to an Activity by clicking on a Notification.

Here is a code for that PendingIntent pendingIntent =
    PendingIntent.GetActivity (this, pendingIntentId, intent, PendingIntentFlags.OneShot);

// Instantiate the builder and set notification elements, including pending intent:
    Notification.Builder builder = new Notification.Builder(this)
    .SetContentIntent (pendingIntent)
    .SetContentTitle ("Sample Notification")
    .SetContentText ("Hello World! This is my first action notification!")
    .SetSmallIcon (Resource.Drawable.ic_notification);

// Build the notification:
    Notification notification = builder.Build();