Xamarin vs HockeyApp vs Azure Insights - nowhere to go

I recently got the requirement to implement telemetry insights into a soon-to-be-release app, and sadly, I wasn't able to do so. Here's what happened:

1. Went into Xamarin Insights and I got reminded about last month's Evolve where they announced HockeyApp integration.
  2. I read the FAQ and it looks like Insights its no longer to be the default Insights platform, HockeyApp is. Plus, There will be no data migration option either. Seems like this will be a clean slate option.
  3. I obviously went into HockeyApp and downloaded their SDK, which is still currently in Beta, and I spent hours trying to make it work with my app, but it always crashes in StartManager() method. I double and tripple checked everything thinking that I was missing something, but in reality, after checking lots of forums where other developers are in the same situation, I came to the conclusion that the Xamarin SDK is broken and its a long way from releasing its first version.
  4. So far the score is, Xamarin: 2 - Me: 0 .. but that didn't discouraged me. Since we are using Azure, I remembered that azure has its own Insights platform. So, I went to the SDK for xamarin page and to my surprise, it is now deprecated. They are also moving to HockeyApp platform. 3-null

Conclusions:

Since Microsoft now owns all three platforms, it seems logical to gather the teams to join forces and create the SUPERIOR insights platform that Hockeyapp will be in the future.

Reading these teams developers, they all say that they are currently working in a ton of enhances in Hockeyapp, which is great, but... what about developers like me?

I see no reason for implementing Xamarin Insights since its going away soon, plus, I couldn't create an api key anyway (yes, my xamarin sub just expired and now its free, but seems that now insights)

So basically, what I'm saying is that you can't leave xamarin devs without any ptions while all your efforts go to HockeyApp.

Best Regards

Victor

• DominicNDominicN USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

Hey Victor,

I'd like to thank you very much for your detailed and thoughtful post. I certainly do understand your sentiments and want to let you know that we're not trying to make it so that you have nowhere to go! While Xamarin Insights is going away in favour of HockeyApp, we have been working closely with the HockeyApp team to report and squish bugs. As such, if you're experiencing issues with HockeyApp, I highly recommend you reach out (with this same information even!) to the HockeyApp team via https://support.hockeyapp.net/

Any information you can provide to that team would be greatly appreciated! Any other folks having issues with HockeyApp are invited to do the same. More reports of issues working with HockeyApp and Xamarin means that there will be more fixes coming. The end goal is to make the HockeyApp experience better and better! Your input will help that happen.

• VictorArce.8951VictorArce.8951 MXMember ✭✭

Thank you dominic.

The error, the same as other people have mentioned before is getting this output right after calling StartManager() in AppDelegate

[HockeySDK] WARNING: HockeySDKResources.bundle is missing, will send reports automatically!
    [HockeySDK] WARNING: HockeySDKResources.bundle is missing, make sure it is added!
    [HockeySDK] WARNING: HockeySDKResources.bundle is missing, built in UI is deactivated!

after this, the app gets killed.

I'm using XamForms and iOS.

Ok, so I finally got some time to re-try integrating HockeyApp, which I've been using it for distributing betas and its great.
    I made two changes and now it works, I can see the logs in hockeyapp website.
    Call StartManager() before Xamarin Forms Init, and also enable DebugLogEnabled, this did the trick.

public override bool FinishedLaunching(UIApplication app, NSDictionary options)
        {
            var manager = BITHockeyManager.SharedHockeyManager;
            manager.Configure(HOCKEYAPP_APPID);
            manager.DebugLogEnabled = true;
            manager.StartManager();

global::Xamarin.Forms.Forms.Init();

LoadApplication(new App());
            return base.FinishedLaunching(app, options);
    }

Hope it helps someone

• MartinBrekhofMartinBrekhof NLUniversity ✭✭

Thanks, worked for me. Did you ever try to get the user-feedback option to work for Xamarin Forms? Any hints/code would be appreciated.

regards

@Martin Brekhof

Well, I haven't gone that far. What I did was apply for Preseason, so I can try new features like custom event logging. But it is not working for me, plus my app is randomly crashing for reasons unknown. If I disable hockey app, it stops crashing. I decided to focus in the app itself, maybe a good release will be available before launching. Let me know what works for you, we are on the same boat.

• MichelMoreiraMichelMoreira USMember ✭✭

Victor, I currently use Twitter Answers and Crashlytics.

Xamarin Insights was great, but HockeyApp is far behind both.

https://github.com/drungrin/Fabric.Sdk.Xamarin

• GVxGVx USMember ✭✭✭

Thanks for the post on Fabric. I will look into this as I was also dissapointed that Insights and even Azure Insights are being shutdown in favour of HockeyApp which i find very lacking and more so very buggy.

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭

@MichelMoreira said:

hockeyapp doesnt have an option to track handled exceptions in xamarin form like xamarin insights.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University ✭✭✭✭✭

@batmaci said:

@MichelMoreira said:

hockeyapp doesnt have an option to track handled exceptions in xamarin form like xamarin insights.

It's missing a lot of features including a semi decent side loading experience onto UWP devices (here's a web page and good luck to you...geee thanks)