SqlConnection : SSL encryption is not implemented

Hi,

When I try to establish an encrypted connection to a SQL Server I receive this error message "SSL encryption for data sent between client and server is not implemented."

I found this issue https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=25491in Xamarin Bugzilla but no Xamarin employee commented on it.

What I am asking is now that the .Net Core is open source is it possible for Xamarin to add the feature?

I love Xamarin but this feature has been a pain to explain to our customer for more than a year now.

To all users who needs this feature you can vote for it here:
https://xamarin.uservoice.com/forums/144858-xamarin-platform-suggestions/suggestions/13731963-sql-client-that-implements-ssl-encryption

Best regards,

• kentucker.8475kentucker.8475 USUniversity, Developer Group Leader ✭✭

I always put up a web service to get data from a sql server. I have never been comfortable having the user name and password for a sql server out on a bunch of phones. Makes it to easy in my mind for the sql server to become a target of hackers

• ThomasBurkhartThomasBurkhart DEMember ✭✭✭✭

I agree with @kentucker if you never have done a WebService before I only can recommend nancyFx. It's really easy to get started with and as an extremely helpful community on Slack

• BenoitSansregretBenoitSansregret CAUniversity

Thank you for taking the time to offer your help, but a web service is not an option in my case.
    Our app is available on Windows/OSX/iOS/Android and we already have a solution for our users who wants to install a web server.
    My issue is for our users, mainly Mac users, who want to be able to connect directly to the SQL server.

• I'm still running into this issue. Is SSL for SqlConnection supported in Xamarin Professional or Enterprise? I'm using the Community version so I would like to know if getting a paid version gets me access to encrypted SQL connections. Will this be also be a feature of the RTM version of Visual Studio for Mac?

• kentuckerkentucker USMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017