Forum Xamarin Test Cloud (Read Only)

How can I setup local UI Tests automatically

I'm using Jenkins running locally on my network to build, restore packages, run unit tests etc. I would to run some UI tests too. Where should I start looking for some documentation on how to run UI Tests through the command line? Everything I've found so far is to run the tests on the Test Cloud.

Best Answer

Answers

• mattwardmattward GBMember Xamurai
    edited May 2016

You normally use NUnit to run Xamarin UITests. So an up to date nunit-console.exe should be able to run the UITests from your assembly on the command line.

mono nunit-console path/to/your/assembly.dll

Note that the version of NUnit that ships with Mono is quite old so you may want to use a more recent version which you can download from NUnit.org. Note that Xamarin.UITest does not currently support NUnit 3 but NUnit 2.6.4 will be OK to use.

• NuninzNuninz USMember ✭✭

I've tried to use that command, this way:

mono /usr/local/bin/nunit-console bin/Release/MyApp.UITest.dll

It keeps throwing this error:

Cannot open assembly '/usr/local/bin/nunit-console': File does not contain a valid CIL image.

Which devices are the tests run on? can we pass that as a parameter?

Thank you. I got my UI tests running just fine. Although I noticed that you can only pass one device id. Is there any solution for that? I would like to trigger this once a day to run trough a couple of devices

Maybe you could use NUnit's test case source to pass in extra device ids? Or alternatively just have the test read some configuration information to get the device id (maybe environment variable?) - then have a script that runs nunit-console for each device id.

hm but I added the device id on the code:

return ConfigureApp
    .iOS.DeviceIdentifier ("A0AD67D2-6BB8-4A84-88E9-9D13239308F5")... etc

Is it possible to do that using this device identifier method? I'll investigate the environment variables on Jenkins and see how it works

Not tried it but since it is a string you should be able to make it configurable.

• CJensenCJensen USMember ✭✭

Hi nuninz,
    Have you solved the issue how to run the tests on several devices with Jenkins ?? .. I have exactly the same problem and is stuck here :(

edited June 2016

Hi @CJensen . Yeah I did it this way:

Run this command for each device

IOS_ID="$ID" ${mono} ${nunit} ${WORKSPACE}/YourAppProject.UITest/bin/Debug/YourAppProject.UITest.dll

$ID - this should be the device Id

on your UI test code you should have something like this

return ConfigureApp
    .iOS.DeviceIdentifier (Environment.GetEnvironmentVariable ("IOS_ID"))
    .EnableLocalScreenshots ()
    .AppBundle ("../../../YourApp.iOS/bin/iPhoneSimulator/Debug/YourApp.app/")
    .StartApp ();

I only did this for iOS so far but it should be the same way for Android.
    To get the device Id I'm running some bash script commands to get the Id based on device, iPad or iPhone, and version(9.1, 9.3, etc)

You need to install the app first to run it. That nunit command will not install it for you. I'm writing a tutorial with all this stuff, it should be finished by the end of the week

Thanks a lot for sharing this and I will give it a go :smiley:

I will look forward to your tutorial and if would appreciate, if you would be so kind to sent it to me on mail when done [email protected]

Have a nice day

Hi Nuninz,

I can confirm it works on Android as well .. :) ... You have saved my day :smiley:

cool! glad to hear that!

the tutorial is on my blog, not finished yet! http://nunobhorta.com/