Forum Xamarin.iOS

How to construct C# console application which will be able to consume Mac specific API (KeyChain)

Hello, I am porting windows console app onto mac.
As I understood there are several options available:
1) Native Xamarin.Mac applicaiton (native and jitted)
2) Regular Console Application ( plain .net 4.5)

So I stick with the #2 approach. Everything works great, except I can't reference native API's.

I need code in this namespaces:

using MonoMac.Foundation;
    using MonoMac.Security;

I tried referencing monomac.dll from packages tab, it did not provide any namespaces, code was not able to compile.
I tried referencing xammac.dll, xamarin studio stopped whining about missing namespace, but at runtime, thing blows up immediately when I try to construct SecRecord

searchRecord = new SecRecord(SecKind.Key)
            {
                Service = ServiceName,
                Account = path
            };

with super useful exception ArgumentCantBeNull argument name "obj", probably meaning it was not able to successfully finish native call.

Any help?

Answers

• DmitryKushnirDmitryKushnir UAMember

Ok, after some lucky guess

I end up with following approach

Call

NSApplication.Init ();

To be able to call it, I had to include "xammac.dylib" as a copy to output folder dependency.

Even though it worked, it looks like a hack, which will shoot me after another update to xamarin.

Any tips on how to properly setup .net 4.5 console app to call native mac apis?

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

So, that'd work in the sense of "it currently appears to work, but we are not supporting doing this that way. I don't see how it'd break in the future but it might and you get to keep the pieces"

So I see a few ways forward for you:

• Something like https://github.com/abock/EmbeddedXamarinMac where you embed the mono runtime into a native application and spin it up.

• Pros - That way you get to control exactly how mono gets to spin up, since not building a XM app means you don't get to leverage our launcher.
      • Cons - Not any more supported, involves getting your hand dirty with creating mono yourself. Not trivial to do by far.
    • Make an actual XM application and do some magic to make it nice to call from the command line. You can hide the doc icon (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/620841/how-to-hide-the-dock-icon), only call NSApplication.Init () and create a nice symlink to make it easily callable from the command line:
      - Pros - You get to leverage our launcher / bootstrap code and know it should "just work".
      - Cons - if you need to pass arguments from the command line to your process, that can be super challenging.

• Do what you are doing now until it breaks.
      - Pros - It works, it is already done.
      - Cons - Not supported use case, could break in the future.

• Random 4th option - Have you tried dlopen'ing the native library in question (/System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Security) before you use the API. If You are really just invoking that one API, you might be able to get away with doing that and never calling NSApplication.Init ().

• Pros - Could work, reduce size of your hack.
      • Cons - Still not a really supported workflow