Forum Xamarin.iOS

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

Xamarin.Mac for Free or OpenSource projects?

zezba9000zezba9000 USMember ✭✭

Hi I was trying to find information about whether or not I could use Xamarin.Mac for OpenSource software or if I have to stick with MonoMac for that??

I saw this post "http://adtmag.com/articles/2012/12/14/xamarin-tool.aspx" and it says "XamMac.dll" will replace the "MonoMac.dll". I have an open source project on github and was wondering if upgrading to Xamarin.Mac would be an issue?
Or say I wanted to release an OpenSource art program on my website that uses Xamarin.Mac but requires you to download the Mono redistribution libraries... would that be an issue?

• MigueldeIcazaMigueldeIcaza USXamarin Team Xamurai

If you use Xamarin.Mac, your users would need to also use Xamarin.Mac.

Nothing stops you from building open source software with it, it is just that the dependency on Xamarin.Mac will be there.

We are going to be working towards a full "trial" mode next year, one that includes Xamarin.Mac, so that casual users of your software do not need to buy the product before using it. But we are a month or two away from that.