1457 'Resource Not Found' errors if I update Xamarin.Forms and the Xamarin.Android.Support.xxx NuGet

ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

I know I'm not the only guy to run in to this, but haven't found a true explanation or resolution to this.
Every time I update the 5 Xamarin.Android.Support.xxx packages from the 23.0.1.3 version to 23.3.0 (notice the missing digit in that version number) all hell breaks loose with the 1457 resource error issues you mentioned. If you downgrade Xamarin.Forms to a 1.5.x version then everything works. So I've just come to beleive that these support packages belong to Forms 1.5 and are throwing off all the Forms 2.x updates due to a missing digit somewhere in the version number. My guess was that these are really 23.0.0.3 and thus not really an upgrade above 23.0.1.x. But I'm totally guessing in an effort to find a reason that supports my observations/results.

So I've been updating just the Xamarin.Forms nuget manually in NuGetManager console using the -IgnoreDependencies flag. {see first attachment}

Now I'm finding that I start a completely new Xamarin.Forms cross-platform PCL solution, and upgrade to current (or alpha) Xamarin.Forms version like this then the application crashes due to "System.MissingMethodException: Method 'DrawerLayout.AddDrawerListener' not found." - So maybe these Android.Support packages really are needed. {see second attachment}

It's pretty darned sad when the default templates won't generate a solution that will run with the current packages. A person can't even get the default app to run as a starting point.

• 100% agree

• ClarkRensberryClarkRensberry CAMember, University

I agree.

Some experimenting with the Forms Portable template had me conclude that for now I should ignore any Nuget manager update suggestions for the packages the template had installed when the solution was created.

Interestingly enough - when adding XLabs forms - Nuget package upgraded the Xamarin forms package from 1.5.1.6471 (the template installed version) to 2.0.0.6482 with no problem - but if I upgraded to the suggested 2.3.0.107 I get the same kind of compiler errors @ClintStLaurent mentioned.

• SuatKorkmazSuatKorkmaz USMember ✭✭✭

I had to update XF to 2.3.1.114 because the need of CarouselView. Now I'm getting the same error: System.MissingMethodException: Method 'DrawerLayout.AddDrawerListener' not found.

I kept the dependencies and didn't update them. Only XF were updated.

Is there a way to get rid of this error?

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

CarouselView has MANY issues if you check the thread and release notes. If you're depending on it, it might not be the solution you're hoping it is - just yet.

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

If it helps, here a complete list of NuGets in our XF solution. Maybe you can compare versions and notice a difference that helps you narrow down the issue.