When installing Xamarin VS2015 do I need to install Android NDK 32 and 64 bits?

dpedrinhadpedrinha DEMember ✭✭✭

My system is 64bits but xamarin is available only in 32bits. Which Android Native Development Kit should I install?

The default install checks both boxes, but I probably need only one and my PC HD size is very restricted. Or do I need both for some reason?

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• RobertKowalczykRobertKowalczyk USMember ✭✭

I believe you only need one version but make sure it matches what bit your xamarin is. so if xamarin is 32 bit then install the 32 bit Android Native Development Kit.

• dpedrinhadpedrinha DEMember ✭✭✭

@RobertKowalczyk said:
    I believe you only need one version but make sure it matches what bit your xamarin is. so if xamarin is 32 bit then install the 32 bit Android Native Development Kit.

Xamarin is only available in 32bit.

So although your logic makes sense, it would make no sense to make a 64bit Android NDK available on the installation.

• RobertKowalczykRobertKowalczyk USMember ✭✭
    edited May 2016

@dpedrinha I agree with you, why would a 64 bit be available doesn't make much sense. however it might be possible that they are foreshadowing a future update to make xamarin have a 64 bit option. but then you also have to take into consideration that the android NDK is not strictly for xamarin, there are other software that may use a 64 bit version for android. xamarin is probably still the better software out there since it can create ios, windows, and android applications while others cannot.

• zuckerthobenzuckerthoben USMember ✭✭

The answer is not really answered. Do you need both? Or is one enough?

• dpedrinhadpedrinha DEMember ✭✭✭

I need to save room in my SSD. The question is exactly if I need both or just one.