iOS USB remoting

IgorRalicIgorRalic HRMember

Anyone got this to work? Seems from this blog post that it should be possible https://blog.xamarin.com/live-from-evolve-new-xamarin-previews/

I have a remote Mac and a local iPad. I have the latest Xamarin alpha releases on both ends (local Win10 PC, remote Mac), the new Visual Studio simulator seems to be working, but the Visual Studio does not see my iPad.

Are there any special steps I need to take to get this to work?

Tagged:

• VictorGarciaAprea.9996VictorGarciaAprea.9996 USXamarin Team Xamurai

Hi Igor,

The iOS USB remoting is not available just yet. I'll make sure we get that blog post updated.

sorry!

• RickardRobinRickardRobin USMember

Is it working now? Or when is it planned? Can't find information about this under releases (alpha or beta)

Hi Rickard,

It is still not available. We are working to have an early preview that should go with an alpha release but we still don't have an ETA to share on this.

I'll keep this thread updated as we know more.

thanks,
    -VGA.

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@VictorGarciaAprea.9996 I saw in some other thread that this is now available in Cycle-7 update. Is it not?

• MarcoTambaloMarcoTambalo PHMember ✭✭

So, Xamarin will partly build on Windows, then send the binaries to a Mac for the final build step, and then send the resulting binaries to Windows, then deploy to the device?
    How is it possible to deploy binaries to an iOS device from a Windows machine?

• ThomasHagstrmThomasHagstrm SEMember ✭✭

iOS USB remoting is not in Cycle 7, @ShantimohanElchuri @VictorGarciaAprea.9996
    We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed for the next alfa so we can test this out :)

@ThomasHagstrm I am always on only stable channel and yes iOS remoting is in Cycle 7. Of course it is not smooth sailing but it is there and worked for me. Right now having issues with it.

Well, if you're using it (how?) then it's real, @ShantimohanElchuri :)
    But I don't see how since there's no mentioning of USB remoting in any of the release notes.

https://releases.xamarin.com/alpha-preview-1-cycle-7/

Simulator remoting Mac > PC however, works and I've used it.

@ThomasHagstrm See my rumblings in the following threads:

@BrendanZagaeski said in Stable Release .... that

Yes, the Preview iOS Simulator Remoting feature does work successfully with these new Stable versions in at least some environments (I tested quickly on my local setup).

iOS Simulator Display on Windows

@ShantimohanElchuri : yeah, that's Simulator Remoting: i.e displaying the iOS Simulator on Windows.

But the topic of this thread is USB Remoting, i.e connect an iOS device to Windows computer and debug on it (while building on a mac), right? Or did I misunderstand something?

@ThomasBurkhart Oh! Actually I didn't take note of the 'USB' word in the topic head. I just got immersed in the posts and just followed them. I do remember reading about even deploying to iPhone connected to Windows in this way though I haven't tried it.

Anyway, I was having issues even with the simulator remoting. But yesterday I updated Xamarin SDKs to the latest ones and it started working again. Hope it will continue working...though...

• AlanAndersonAlanAnderson USUniversity ✭✭

Any update on USB remoting? The iOS emulator back on Windows (Visual Studio) works great, however still would like to load to a physical device connected to the Windows machine using Visual Studio.

• valdeterovaldetero USInsider, University ✭✭

Any update?

• Still nothing? :-(

• luzimaroliveiraluzimaroliveira USMember ✭✭

any update ?

• TDenisTDenis USMember ✭✭

pff any?

• IrrealIrreal RSUniversity ✭✭✭

Wow, it was hailed as an awesome new feature, right about the time they bumped all the major versions (Xamarin 4, XF 2).... all just marketing and lies. It was a developer conference and you lied to all of our faces... not great.
    It has been almost a year since then and the XAML previewer is still just barely working... sometimes... if you are lucky. USB remoting is MIA.... Kind of saddens me a bit.

Hi guys,

I was just pointed out by one of our support engineers to this thread, looks like I missed the updates to it thanks to the notification emails going nowhere.

If you ever again don't get a response from me in a few days, please feel free to email me at VGA at microsoft dot com.

Back at that time we demoed an early preview of the USB remoting feature we were experimenting with, but didn't offer any release dates because it was too early to know.

Unfortunately we couldn't get it to perform fast enough as we were hoping, which caused the prototype work to be suspended momentarily, and had to move work to other shipping features.

It would help to get an idea of how many customers out there are still interested in this, please make yourself heard here :smile:

• chuckctichuckcti USMember ✭✭

I can't get to the twitter survey at the moment, but want to register a high degree of interest in this feature!! Just found this post when searching that very topic on the forum. I'm getting a real productivity boost from being able to use a Mac remotely for as many parts of the development cycle as possible.

• DirkWilhelmDirkWilhelm USMember ✭✭✭✭

@VictorGarciaAprea.9996 i think a survey on twitter is not the best thing to do since you need a twitter account to paticipate in the survey.

Why don't you use https://xamarin.uservoice.com

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

This feature got a STANDING OVATION at Evolve 2016 - I would have thought that all the survey needed.
    Put me down for +1

Also, contrary to the 20-ish year olds, not everyone lives for twitter. I also had no idea about the survey.

@ClintStLaurent said:

Also, contrary to the 20-ish year olds, not everyone lives for twitter. I also had no idea about the survey.

Hmmm... I am also not 20-ish but in twitter. Even if you don't tweet you should follow at least few eminent ones on twitter. You can enrich your tech knowledge there. In this century for tech savvy it is inevitable to be on Twitter, Facebook, Linked-in and Stack Overflow, besides this forum...

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭

+1

• Hi guys, any update about it?
    thanks

• MarkTalentMarkTalent USMember ✭✭

Any update????

Was anyone expecting updates?

@VictorGarciaAprea.9996

• DJTTBaxDJTTBax USMember ✭✭

Hi , any update for it?

• KingGamesKingGames USMember ✭✭

is it still not available?

edited December 2017

New feature request process was:

@ClintStLaurent said:
    New feature request process was:

@DavidOrtinau Anything you could throw in on this would be appreciated. You posted to the world to lodge requests on the GitHub so I did. And it was closed immediately as "wrong project". Huh? WTF?

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@ClintStLaurent Im guessing the correct project to post in was https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-macios

@JohnHair @DavidOrtinau
    Thanks for the investigation John. I honestly appreciate the effort.

I think it is however impossible for most people to know what would be the only acceptable place. Remote iOS USB is used when developing Xamarin.Forms applications. So there is a reasonable thought that the XF hub would be a good place for it. If it's not - then maybe the Xamarin employees could be a bit more helpful than to just say "wrong project" and close it. I dunno... Maybe suggest the right place like you did? Or, say... they could move it to the right place as a form of half-decent customer service?

I know I'm in a pissy mood today for other things not related to this. But poor service and lazy handling of reported problems IN THE PROJECT WE WERE TOLD TO USE - is just maddening even on a good day.

• JohnHJohnH GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@ClintStLaurent Oh I totally agree, if they don't have the ability to move it, then at the VERY LEAST they should say what is the correct project.

• ArctechFoxArctechFox Member

Any update on this? I can't find any mention of this feature being released yet, and it's been nearly 5 years since the demo...

Since @johnhair suggested reposting it in the iOS area - I just did that
    https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-macios/issues/5442

Maybe jump on there and add your comments about much you'd like to see this come back. Squeakiest wheel gets the most coder time.