version 0.8.0.0 hangs on iOS

Hi all, I got version 0.8.0.0 of the inspector for Mac OS X and when creating a Mac OS X workbook it's great. However, I try to create a new iOS workbook and the windows appears but the spinner just keeps going and I can't get past that point. I've restarted everything. This is on the most recent Alpha channel for XS 6 (I assume the one released this morning at Evolve.) Is anyone else having a similar problem or have a fix? I really like the new workbooks and want to be ready to use them for a project I have in mind when they are final.

Thanks!

Tagged:

• ClausRathjeClausRathje DKMember

I have the same problem.

• me too

• dstarnesdstarnes USMember ✭✭

I filed this as bug 40759 if anyone wants to add some comments.

• SandyArmstrongSandyArmstrong USXamarin Team, Insider Xamurai

It is entirely possible that iOS workbooks are broken with the latest alpha release. I will test and fix after Evolve.

Everything should work as expected with the beta channel release, though.

• MurtazaMaqboolMurtazaMaqbool USMember

Same here, downloaded the moment it was released and its stuck on the spinner ever since!
    Sandy does that mean we should update from Beta channel instead of alpha?
    Thanks

@MurtazaMaqbool if you want to use Workbooks or Inspector today, you should probably stick with the beta channel.

• MurtazaMaqboolMurtazaMaqbool USMember

Thanks for replying @SandyArmstrong
    I'm not sure how to switch the update channel for workbook as there is no option available.
    The update channel can be changed for Xamarin Studio but that doesn't pick Inspector.
    I don't mind waiting if the update is in the pipeline.
    Thanks

I'm talking about switching to the beta channel in Xamarin Studio, which will get you beta versions of Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android, which are used by the workbooks.

• dstarnesdstarnes USMember ✭✭

@SandyArmstrong @MurtazaMaqbool Switching XS to the beta channel solved the problem. I had used the alpha channel to try the XF previewer. But I'd rather have the workbooks on iOS. Now to see if I can get remoting to work with the iOS Simulator on Windows.

@DouglasStarnes.2979 glad to hear it. We'll have it fixed for alpha soon, too.

I did not have time to update our documentation to cover the iOS Simulator while at Evolve, but essentially you just need to configure Visual Studio to connect to your Mac via SSH. Once this connection is successful and saved, you can quit VS if you like. iOS Workbooks will use the credentials saved by Visual Studio to connect to your Mac with the iOS Simulator.

If anybody in this thread is still using the alpha channel, I would appreciate if you could send me log files, thanks!

• IvanKirkorau.3935IvanKirkorau.3935 CNUniversity ✭✭

Deleted all logs to make a clean test. No new logs get created.

@IvanKirkorau.3935 you have no logs in ~/Library/Logs/Xamarin/Inspector/?

Could you try restarting Xamarin Inspector.app and performing the test again? There should be at least minimal logging of the app starting up, if nothing else...

• IvanKirkorau.3935IvanKirkorau.3935 CNUniversity ✭✭

you are correct. After restarting the app I got some logs (but I definitely did the same thing before)
    https://dropbox.com/s/p1g2j5l1qa3jtfe/Xamarin%20Inspector%202016-05-05.log?dl=0

Thanks for the log.

An underlying tool we use from the Xamarin install has changed slightly in the alpha channel, which is the root cause of this issue. The next Workbooks release will have a fix.

If you don't want to wait, you could create ~/Library/Preferences/Xamarin/Settings.plist with the following contents:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> <plist version="1.0"> <dict> <key>AppleSdkRoot</key> <string>/Applications/Xcode.app</string> </dict> </plist>

• MIchaelAntaranMIchaelAntaran USMember ✭✭
    edited May 2016

I am having the same issue with Workbooks and not fully starting (spinning icon) using the BETA channel with Inspector 8.0. I installed the Settings.plist file as above and still having the issue but still no luck.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/svjav6o0fgwehfv/Xamarin Inspector 2016-05-11.log?dl=0

• MIchaelAntaranMIchaelAntaran USMember ✭✭

I do have the Xamarin Studio for Mac BETA channel version and well when I installed XCODE. My Workbooks.iOS started to work. However, it still hangs when I try the Workbooks.Android.

0.8.0 has a bug where if a workbook fails to load, the error message is suppressed and the UI continues to spin anyway. So checking logs is the best way to figure out what's up. (This is fixed in our upcoming release, of course)

@MichaelAntaran For Android, your error is NoSupportedAndroidDeviceError. So, you need to make sure you have an Android 4.4 or better device installed in Xamarin Android Player, or Visual Studio Android Emulator (if you are on Windows).

This should be fixed in the 0.8.1 release!