Alpha Release: Cycle 8 Feature Release Preview

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited August 2016 in General

This thread has now been closed to direct further updates about this release onto the latest announcement:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/73602/beta-release-cycle-8-feature-release-preview/p1

Release info

Please see https://releases.xamarin.com/alpha-preview-6-cycle-8/ for the details about this release.

This is an early preview version, so it likely contains a number of issues that will be caught and fixed during the normal internal testing and development process. Of course additional bug reports are still welcome.

Bug reports and questions

As always, be sure to search briefly through the Release Blog post, release notes, documentation, and previous bug reports for any existing answers. After that, choose the appropriate next step:

• File a bug using the "Cycle 8 Preview" new bug form if you have found an issue that only happens on Cycle 8 (or if you have found an issue that you otherwise suspect is a bug).

• Post a question on Stack Overflow if you have hit an issue and are not yet sure if it is a bug, or if you have a follow-up question about a new feature beyond what is covered in the documentation and release notes.

• Post a reply directly in this forum discussion if you have a follow-up question or comment about this release that is not suitable for a bug report or Stack Overflow such as "What is in this release?", "When...?", or "Where...?"

(This "bug reports and questions" section is new compared to previous forum release announcements. It is based on the list of recommendations from https://blog.xamarin.com/contest-get-answering-on-stack-overflow/.)

Installing the Alpha and switching back to Stable

You can install this new Alpha version or switch back to the current Stable version by changing updater channels.

Important: If you switch back to the older Cycle 6 versions of XamarinVS (from before June) after trying this version, you must delete the following 2 files to pair again successfully with the Mac build host:

• %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\MonoTouch\id_rsa
  • %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\MonoTouch\id_rsa.pub

Otherwise you will get an error: "Unable to connect to Address... with User..." or "Private key is encrypted but passphrase is empty."

EDIT Apr 27: Add note about id_rsa files.
EDIT Jul 11: Update Release Blog links for newer (June 13) Alpha versions.
EDIT Jul 28: Update Release Blog links for newer Alpha versions.
EDIT Aug 03: Update Release Blog links for newer Alpha versions.
EDIT Aug 12: Update Release Blog links for newer Alpha versions.

• DavidDancyDavidDancy AUMember ✭✭✭✭

I'm a sucker for new shiny and installed the latest Alpha straight after the keynote :smile:

Sadly it doesn't work as well for me as it did on stage.

• (iOS) simulator doesn't start. I get an exception
    error MT0010: Could not parse the command line arguments: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> error MT0018: Unknown command line argument: '-enable-background-fetch'
      --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
      at Xamarin.Launcher.Driver.Main2 (System.String[] args) <0x1157943e0 + 0x01e8b> in <filename unknown>:0 
    ---> (Inner Exception #0) error MT0018: Unknown command line argument: '-enable-background-fetch'<---

• Forms preview feature doesn't work. It displays XFPageRendererView and just sits there. Admittedly my XAML is quite lengthy but still. After all the build up I had at least expected it to work.

Looking forward to getting a working version soon!

• VictorArce.8951VictorArce.8951 MXMember ✭✭

Great work with the new features that Miguel Icaza showed-off at keynote... !

OK, I got part of it working: The simulator exception goes away if I switch off Enable Background Modes in the Info.plist file.

The preview feature seems to be choking on StaticResources that I have defined in my App.xaml file, but which it can't find.

• AlanMcGovernAlanMcGovern USXamarin Team Xamurai

David, there are some limitations with static resources at the moment, the main one being that resources defined in other cause the issue you're hitting. We're working hard on completely the support for that!

@AlanMcGovern thanks for that info. I look forward to the update.

• Hi all,

There's an error in the iOS Simulator (for Windows) guide. It says that both Xamarin for Visual Studio and the networked Mac for Xamarin.iOS should be running the Beta channel.

However, if i've understood properly, this feature is only compatible with Visual Studio for Xamarin 4.2.0.21, i.e. Cycle 8 in Alpa channel. Am I right? Besides, is it necessary to move Xamain.iOS to Beta channel, too?

• GaryDCoyGaryDCoy USUniversity
    edited April 2016

After installing the alpha version, Xamarin Studio semi-hangs when I try to open a xaml file. The menu options still work, but the code window is blank and the xaml file doesn't open. If I open a solution that has an open xaml file, the solution doesn't open. If I open a solution that doesn't have a xaml file open, it works fine until I try to open a xaml file.

• AdrianKnightAdrianKnight USMember ✭✭✭✭

I can't install iOS Simulator. I'm already using Cycle 8, but on Win10 Enterprise, the executable never runs when I double click it.

• I downloaded the latest Alpha build yesterday 9.9.0.719 (3afb4af) . Most of it seems to be ok, but I'm unable to create an Ad-Hoc IPA. I keep getting this message: Could not AOT the assembly '/Users/rvan9/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/TestApp/de74750075c3f179ddb513bc6d145e09/obj/iPhone/Ad-Hoc/mtouch-cache/64/Build/TestApp.exe'. Anyone else having that problem?

• Recently I downloaded Xamarin studio 6.0 build 5104.. (Mac), Theme is so nice, but it has a big problem !!! if I want to open it in a situation that I cant reach the internet (offline mode) it turns to Xamarin Studio Community , and I cant build my apps (error is : Error MT9999: The Xamarin license file is invalid and could not be recovered. Please contact Xamarin Support for assistance. (MT9999) ) , so I have to get online and login again to do that, in this case Xamarin Studio Business appear at the top, Why this happen ,?? now you said that its free, and in the past, this doesn't happen.

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I cant reach the internet (offline mode) it turns to Xamarin Studio Community

That is quite possibly a bug. If you get a chance to file a bug for it, that would be excellent. But no worries if not. The normal testing and development process will most likely catch and correct that bug before the Beta version.

Keep in mind, the note from the top of this thread:

This is an early preview version, so it likely contains a number of issues that will be caught and fixed during the normal internal testing and development process. Of course additional bug reports are still welcome.

• DanSiegelDanSiegel USUniversity ✭✭

I had a similar issue as @AdrianKnight, I'm on Windows 10 Pro. When I double clicked the installer it didn't seem to do anything. Whatever the issue remoting never worked for me, and when Visual Studio "deployed" my app, it seemed to deploy to that spot where missing socks go since the app never showed up on either the simulator on the Mac or my iOS device even though Visual Studio swore it was deployed and running.

@DanSiegel I had a similar issue with regards to VS claiming to have deployed the app but the app not running. I fixed it by updating to El Capitan and Xcode 7.3. Try doing that and see if it fixes your issue. In the release keynotes for Cycle 8, they tell you to update to those versions on the Mac.

https://developer.xamarin.com/releases/ios/xamarin.ios_9/xamarin.ios_9.9/

• DanSiegelDanSiegel USUniversity ✭✭

@AdrianKnight, I am on the latest versions of El Capitan and Xcode as required. Thanks for making sure though.

@BrendanZagaeski @Shahdehkhodavandi That activation bug has been the bane of my existence for at least two years. It happened also to me this morning, but in previous versions it used to happen all the time when I changed my laptop's network configuration. This time it happened when I had XS running, disconnected the network, then sent the laptop to sleep. When I woke it up later (not connected to the Internet) it showed the licence error. Tethering my phone to the laptop and restarting XS allowed it to call home and get my licence details.
    There will be much rejoicing here when this bug is finally dealt with.

• 15mgm1515mgm15 USMember ✭✭✭

Has anyone experience problems while trying to delete, restore or add a nugget package with this release?

• joehannajoehanna AUBeta ✭✭

Hi guys,

I live on the Alpha Channel - bleeding edge all the way :-)

You guys are doing such a great job with these releases that I rarely have any serious - show-stopping - issues on the Alpha Channel. However, when there is a sizeable problem and I need to switch back to the stable channel, it is a PAIN.

Can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE provide side-by-side installations of the stable and alpha channels of Xamarin Studio and Xamarin.iOS (like Visual Studio and .NET can each have numerous versions reside on the same box)?

Love your work! Thanks so much.

Joe

• OddbjornBakkeOddbjornBakke NOMember ✭✭

@JosephHanna said:
    Hi guys,

I live on the Alpha Channel - bleeding edge all the way :-)

You guys are doing such a great job with these releases that I rarely have any serious - show-stopping - issues on the Alpha Channel. However, when there is a sizeable problem and I need to switch back to the stable channel, it is a PAIN.

Can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE provide side-by-side installations of the stable and alpha channels of Xamarin Studio and Xamarin.iOS (like Visual Studio and .NET can each have numerous versions reside on the same box)?

Love your work! Thanks so much.

Joe

Would have been nice. We had some problems with SQLite on iOS in the newest alpha. Needed to rollback :neutral:

• JKayJKay USMember ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

I am trying out Xamarin Studio V6.1 on the alpha channel on my Mac and in the "About Xamarin Studio" box it is reporting

Nuget Version 3.4.3.0

and when doing nuget ? from the terminal it reports

Nuget version 2.8.5.0.

Why the descrepency?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE provide side-by-side installations of the stable and alpha channels of Xamarin Studio and Xamarin.iOS

That's a good example of something to post as a request on Xamarin's UserVoice page.

For a quick reference, I did see one roughly similar request on UserVoice already (https://xamarin.uservoice.com/forums/144858-xamarin-platform-suggestions/suggestions/3892446-the-option-to-have-a-test-instance-of-xamarin-stud), but adding another slightly more descriptive request wouldn't be a bad idea.

For reference:

“I have an idea/request”: ... share this on our UserVoice page so the developer community can see and vote on these ideas and requests.

(https://blog.xamarin.com/contest-get-answering-on-stack-overflow/)

Has anyone tried creating a new Xamarin.Forms project (C#) in the 6.1 Alpha? I downloaded it yesterday and now I can't create a new project. The IDE gets as far as restoring packages, succeeds for iOS, and fails on Android.
    I literally have not added a single line of code - just clicked buttons in the project creation wizard.
    What gives?

Following up, here's the package manager's output:

Attempting to gather dependency information for package 'Xamarin.Forms.2.2.0.45' with respect to project 'MyProject.Droid', targeting 'MonoAndroid,Version=v6.0'
        Attempting to resolve dependencies for package 'Xamarin.Forms.2.2.0.45' with DependencyBehavior 'Lowest'
        Resolving actions to install package 'Xamarin.Forms.2.2.0.45'
        Resolved actions to install package 'Xamarin.Forms.2.2.0.45'
        For adding package 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.23.3.0' to project 'MyProject.Droid' that targets 'monoandroid60'.
        For adding package 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.23.3.0' to project 'MyProject.Droid' that targets 'monoandroid60'.
        Adding package 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.23.3.0' to folder '/Users/me/MyProject/packages'
        Added package 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.23.3.0' to folder '/Users/me/MyProject/packages'
        Added reference 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4' to project 'MyProject.Droid'.
        Added package 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.23.3.0' to 'packages.config'
        Added file 'packages.config' to project 'MyProject.Droid'.
        Successfully installed 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4 23.3.0' to MyProject.Droid
        GET https://www.nuget.org/api/v2/package/Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.CardView/23.3.0
        OK https://www.nuget.org/api/v2/package/Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.CardView/23.3.0 1085ms
        Acquiring lock for the installation of Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.CardView 23.3.0
        Acquired lock for the installation of Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.CardView 23.3.0
        Installing Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.CardView 23.3.0.
        Error downloading 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.CardView.23.3.0' from 'https://www.nuget.org/api/v2/package/Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.CardView/23.3.0'.
        The UTC time represented when the offset is applied must be between year 0 and 10,000.
        Parameter name: offset
        Install failed. Rolling back...
        Package 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.CardView.23.3.0' does not exist in project 'MyProject.Droid'
        Removed package 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.23.3.0' from 'packages.config'
        Removed file 'packages.config'.
        Removed reference 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4' from project 'MyProject.Droid'.
        Package 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.CardView.23.3.0' does not exist in folder '/Users/me/MyProject/packages'
        Removing package 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.23.3.0' from folder '/Users/me/MyProject/packages'
        Removed folder '/Users/me/MyProject/packages/Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.23.3.0/lib/MonoAndroid403'.
        Removed folder '/Users/me/MyProject/packages/Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.23.3.0/lib'.
        Removed file 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.23.3.0.nupkg' from folder '/Users/me/MyProject/packages/Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.23.3.0'.
        Removed folder '/Users/me/MyProject/packages/Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.23.3.0'.
        Removed package 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.23.3.0' from folder '/Users/me/MyProject/packages'
        Error downloading 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.CardView.23.3.0' from 'https://www.nuget.org/api/v2/package/Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.CardView/23.3.0'.

• RobbieElliottRobbieElliott USMember ✭✭

Hi all,

I have been cruzing along rather nicely using the alpha release of Xamarin studio Community for Mac. I installed the available alpha channel updates yesterday and the debugger no longer breaks when unhandled exceptions are thrown. The debugger stops and the application closes. It was suggested that the updater has had issues in the past leaving components out of updates and it was recommended I re-run the universal installer. When doing so the installer recognizes I have an installation and does not permit to re-install. I'm also now getting link errors when building for my device. Building and running on the simulator works, aside from the unhandled exception issue...

....../MTOUCH: Error MT5210: Native linking failed, undefined symbol: _sqlite3_value_type. Please verify that all the necessary frameworks have been referenced and native libraries are properly linked in. (MT5210) (AppName).

All insights on how to proceed will be appreciated...

Further followup, I posted https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=41983 for the package download failure. If you are testing in timezones west of UTC you will not see the problem.

Please do not use DateTimeOffset.MinValue because it fails for timezones east of UTC!

Further followup: doh! :blush: I realised I could make things work again simply by changing the time zone on my computer. So now my computer lives in the USA at UTC -6, and NuGet packages are finally able to install.

I sincerely hope this is not a long-term situation. :smile:

@RobbieElliott said:
    Hi all,

I have been cruzing along rather nicely using the alpha release of Xamarin studio Community for Mac. I installed the available alpha channel updates yesterday and the debugger no longer breaks when unhandled exceptions are thrown. The debugger stops and the application closes. It was suggested that the updater has had issues in the past leaving components out of updates and it was recommended I re-run the universal installer. When doing so the installer recognizes I have an installation and does not permit to re-install. I'm also now getting link errors when building for my device. Building and running on the simulator works, aside from the unhandled exception issue...

....../MTOUCH: Error MT5210: Native linking failed, undefined symbol: _sqlite3_value_type. Please verify that all the necessary frameworks have been referenced and native libraries are properly linked in. (MT5210) (AppName).

All insights on how to proceed will be appreciated...

Nice to see that we are not alone with those problems :smile:

• RobbieElliottRobbieElliott USMember ✭✭

I've discovered that our application sqlite3 dll uses reflection and the Mono 4.4.0. (in the Alpha update) release notes suggest mono received a significant update to its reflection APIs. I switch from my newly updated Alpha channel back to the Beta channel my link errors disappear (device build) and the debugger begins working normally (simulator build).

• MittchelvanVlietMittchelvanVliet USUniversity ✭✭

I am constantly getting 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' when opening .xaml pages.. Does anyone have this too?

I've got a demo on Wednesday showing the XAML previewer.. hopefully I don't need to cancel :-(

• BryanCassellBryanCassell USMember

I'm getting the same 'Object reference not set to an instance...' error when trying to open XAML pages. I found a bug report here:

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=41784

but there's no information about when it might make it into the alpha channel. Hopefully we can get some more information soon.

• ChrisLamont.3643ChrisLamont.3643 USUniversity ✭✭

This is early, but when can we hope to see an Alpha that supports iOS 10?

Where in the source would I look for progress?
    https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-macios/tree/master/src

edited June 2016

@MittchelvanVliet said:
    I am constantly getting 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' when opening .xaml pages.. Does anyone have this too?

I've got a demo on Wednesday showing the XAML previewer.. hopefully I don't need to cancel :-(

I only get this bug on new blank projects. You can try switching to beta channel. Create a project, and then update through alpha and use the previewer. Or just find a hello world application to test with. :smile:

Would like to be able to choose which version I want to install from the update channel. :disappointed:

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/68915/xamarin-forms-editor-previewer-broken-latest-xamarin-studio-6-1-preview-alpha-channel
    Se answer to @JohnMiller

• RobertDAllegroRobertDAllegro USMember ✭✭
    edited June 2016

disregard

• I am using xamarin 6.1 Alpha, I cannot run my project in iOS. I updated xcode. What I have to do?

• xCyborgxCyborg USMember ✭✭

When can we see a beta here? with Xaml previewer fo VS of course.

• Shane000Shane000 USMember ✭✭✭

How does the cycle timeline work? Since 7 was just released is 8 months out or weeks out?

The Stable release is tentatively scheduled for at least a couple months away. The latest brief update on that timeline can be found in the latest Release Blog post for Cycle 8:

Stable – Fall 2016

The timeline for the Beta is also probably more than one month away. Future Release Blog posts for Cycle 8 might contain more information on the Beta timeline as various aspects of the release fall into place.

• xCyborgxCyborg USMember ✭✭
    edited July 2016

Awesome, will there be any support for XML intellisense and designer previewing of the Support Library classes like Material Design (Toolbar, TabLayout, FAB, NavigationView, CoordinatorLayout... ) and so on?
    Currently it just shows a text on a grey background and editing the XML directly has no intellisense or autocompletion like other elements.

+1 for XAML Previewer for VS.

• AravSinghalAravSinghal INMember

@xCyborg said:
    Awesome, will there be any support for XML intellisense and designer previewing of the Support Library classes like Material Design (Toolbar, TabLayout, FAB, NavigationView, CoordinatorLayout... ) and so on?
    Currently it just shows a text on a grey background and editing the XML directly has no intellisense or autocompletion like other elements.

Check this if on Xamarin Studio and this if on Visual Studio. This Alpha release includes the Xamarin Studio 6.1 release, which includes the aforementioned Android Designer previewer and Android XML IntelliSense. You can install the Xamarin for VS 4.2 Preview to avail the same in Visual Studio.

• Nugget packages it not working in Xamarin 6.1, it hangs. I am using Xamarin Studio.

This discussion has been closed.