Beta Release: Cycle 7 Feature Release

BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan ZagaeskiUSForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
edited June 2016 in General

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this release onto the latest announcement:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/68358/stable-release-cycle-7-feature-release/p1

Release info

Please see https://releases.xamarin.com/evolve-keynote-releases for the details about this release.

Bug reports and questions

As always, be sure to search briefly through the Release Blog post, release notes, documentation, and previous bug reports for any existing answers. After that, choose the appropriate next step:

• File a bug using the "Cycle 7" new bug form if you have found an issue that only happens on Cycle 7 (or if you have found an issue that you otherwise suspect is a bug).

• Post a question on Stack Overflow if you have hit an issue and are not yet sure if it is a bug, or if you have a follow-up question about a new feature beyond what is covered in the documentation and release notes.

• Post a reply directly in this forum discussion if you have a follow-up question or comment about this release that is not suitable for a bug report or Stack Overflow such as "What is in this release?", "When...?", or "Where...?"

(This "bug reports and questions" section is new compared to previous forum release announcements. It is based on the list of recommendations from https://blog.xamarin.com/contest-get-answering-on-stack-overflow/.)

Installing the Beta and switching back to Stable

You can install this new Beta version or switch back to the current Stable version by changing updater channels.

Important: If you switch back to Stable (Cycle 6) XamarinVS after trying this version, you must delete the following 2 files to pair again successfully with the Mac build host:

• %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\MonoTouch\id_rsa
  • %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\MonoTouch\id_rsa.pub

Otherwise you will get an error: "Unable to connect to Address... with User..." or "Private key is encrypted but passphrase is empty."

EDIT Apr 27: Add note about id_rsa files.

• rbmanian75rbmanian75 Balasubramanian Ramanathan USMember ✭✭

Can we use this RC release for production and publish app to google play store?

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Yes, you can use the RC to publish an app to the Google play store. For example, there shouldn't be any API changes between this RC of Cycle 7 and the final Stable version.

• CarelLotzCarelLotz Carel Lotz ZAMember ✭✭
    edited May 2016

I'm observing breaking behavior in the Android.App.Application class after installing the latest BETA. The OnCreate method where I'm calling RegisterActivityLifeCycleCallbacks is not being invoked as before causing my application to hang as my bootstrapping process is tied into this:

public override void OnCreate() { base.OnCreate(); RegisterActivityLifecycleCallbacks(this); }

Am I the only one observing this?

• rbmanian75rbmanian75 Balasubramanian Ramanathan USMember ✭✭

I am trying to download and update RC3 in Visual Studio 2015 and it seems to be stuck in download in progress for more than a day.

Any suggestions to fix it?

• rogiheerogihee Rogier van der Hee NLMember ✭✭✭

This made my day: 13538 - [bcl] Avoid printing debug messages to stdout in the default trace listener when a debugger is connected [9.8.0.236+]

I can finally properly read again (since 2013.....) my debug trace statements in Studio again, I fixed 7 bugs in my app this morning ;-).

Like the Studio update a lot with Roslyn and better looks!

• SzeHuaiSiowSzeHuaiSiow Sze Huai Siow USMember

"Upgraded" to beta 4.1 but now my 4.0 projects can't open in my VS2015 anymore. It said it is incompatible :(

• BrendanZagaeskiBrendanZagaeski Brendan Zagaeski USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

projects can't open in my VS2015 anymore. It said it is incompatible

That usually means that for some reason the Xamarin extensions for Visual Studio did not update correctly. A thorough uninstall and manual reinstall using the latest Xamarin.iOS > Windows download link has resolved similar problems for other users in the past.

• OlegIlyinOlegIlyin Oleg Ilyin USMember

Latest RC breaks Unity <-> Visual Studio integration, not able to attach debugger to Unity, if uninstalled everything is ok, there is no issue with latest stable cycle 6 version.

edited June 2016

Latest RC breaks Unity <-> Visual Studio integration

Please file a bug using the "Cycle 7" new bug form if you have found an issue that only happens on Cycle 7 (or if you have found an issue that you otherwise suspect is a bug). Thanks!

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this release onto the latest announcement:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/68358/stable-release-cycle-7-feature-release/p1

This discussion has been closed.