Errors trying to just build an empty Xamarin Forms app

I get the following error when trying to simply compile a empty Xamarin forms app created using their project template. I am using VS 2015 enterprise with Update 2 installed. I get this error twice

Please install package: 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.AppCompat' available in SDK installer. Android resource directory C:\Users\Jim_S\AppData\Local\Xamarin\Android.Support.v7.AppCompat\23.0.1.3\embedded./ doesn't exist.

I tried to update via NuGet and that just produced more errors. I would like to know how to correctly get this resolved and what exact versions of everything needs to be in the project for it to work.

Thanks,
Jim

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• SalvaNoneSalvaNone USMember

Have the same issue - following...

• I did the updates to the Driod project via NuGet and now it compiles with 119 errors. Looks like missing resources. The update did not finish until I quite VS and restarted. I am now going to update Xamarin Forms via NuGet.

• After restarting VS here is the startup log I get.

[I:sdk]: Looking for Android SDK..
    [I:sdk]: Key HKCU\SOFTWARE\Novell\Mono for Android\AndroidSdkDirectory found:
    Path contains adb.exe in \platform-tools (C:\Users\Jim_S\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk).
    [I:sdk]: Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Novell\Mono for Android\AndroidSdkDirectory found:
    Path does not contain adb.exe in \platform-tools (C:\android-sdk-windows).
    [I:sdk]: Key HKCU\SOFTWARE\Xamarin\MonoAndroid\PrivateAndroidSdkPath not found.
    [I:sdk]: Key HKCU\SOFTWARE\Android SDK Tools\Path not found.
    [I:sdk]: Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Android SDK Tools\Path found:
    Path contains adb.exe in \platform-tools (C:\Users\Jim_S\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk).
    [I:sdk]: Looking for Android NDK..
    [I:sdk]: Key HKCU\SOFTWARE\Novell\Mono for Android\AndroidNdkDirectory found:
    Path contains ndk-stack.exe in . (C:\Users\Jim_S\Documents\Android\ndk\android-ndk-r10e).
    [I:sdk]: Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Novell\Mono for Android\AndroidNdkDirectory not found.
    [I:Unknown]: Found Android SDK. API levels: 15, 19, 21, 22, 23
    [I:Unknown]: Found Xamarin.Android 6.0.3
    [I:]: Tracking android devices started
    [D:]: TrackDeviceTask got: 169.254.138.177:5555 device
    [I:]: Got new device list from adb with 1 devices
    [D:]: Tracking avd started
    [D:]: avd watcher *.ini path: 'C:\Users\Jim_S.android\avd'
    [D:]: avd watcher android path: 'C:\Users\Jim_S\AppData\Local\Android\ANDROI~1\tools\android.bat'
    [D:RunShellCommand]: 169.254.138.177:5555 getprop
    [D:RunShellCommand]: 169.254.138.177:5555 getprop
    [D:]: avd watcher: got device list from avd with 2 devices

As you can see there are unfound things in android. Attached is a screen shot of NuGet before installing the Xamarin Forms update. As you can see the android project is far behind.

• After trying to update Xamarin Forms with NuGet here is the output
    Attempting to gather dependency information for package 'Xamarin.Forms.2.1.0.6529' with respect to project 'tn6x', targeting '.NETPortable,Version=v4.5,Profile=Profile111'
    Attempting to resolve dependencies for package 'Xamarin.Forms.2.1.0.6529' with DependencyBehavior 'Lowest'
    Resolving actions to install package 'Xamarin.Forms.2.1.0.6529'
    Resolved actions to install package 'Xamarin.Forms.2.1.0.6529'
    Attempting to gather dependency information for package 'Xamarin.Forms.2.1.0.6529' with respect to project 'tn6x.Windows', targeting 'Windows,Version=v8.1'
    Attempting to resolve dependencies for package 'Xamarin.Forms.2.1.0.6529' with DependencyBehavior 'Lowest'
    Restoring packages for 'tn6x.UWP'.
    Restoring packages for C:\Users\Jim_S\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\tn6x\tn6x\tn6x.UWP\project.json...
    Package restore completed successfully for 'tn6x.UWP'.
    Attempting to gather dependency information for package 'Xamarin.Forms.2.1.0.6529' with respect to project 'tn6x.WinPhone', targeting 'WindowsPhoneApp,Version=v8.1'
    Attempting to gather dependency information for package 'Xamarin.Forms.2.1.0.6529' with respect to project 'tn6x.iOS', targeting 'Xamarin.iOS,Version=v1.0'
    Attempting to gather dependency information for package 'Xamarin.Forms.2.1.0.6529' with respect to project 'tn6x.Droid', targeting 'MonoAndroid,Version=v6.0'
    Unable to resolve dependencies. 'Xamarin.Android.Support.Design 23.3.0' is not compatible with 'Xamarin.Forms 2.1.0.6529 constraint: Xamarin.Android.Support.Design (= 23.0.1.3)'.

As you can see this update failed. your latest Xamarin.Andriod.Support.Design is not compatible with your latest Xamarin.Forms.

Wow!

• After compiling everything again. I am back to the 119 errors. I sample error is below

Error CS0117 'Resource.Styleable' does not contain a definition for 'Theme_alertDialogTheme' tn6x.Droid C:\Users\Jim_S\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\tn6x\tn6x\tn6x.Droid\Resources\Resource.Designer.cs 1373 Active

• So starting all over again, again. The central problem is these errors.

Error Please install package: 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v7.AppCompat' available in SDK installer. Android resource directory C:\Users\Jim_S\AppData\Local\Xamarin\Android.Support.v7.AppCompat\23.0.1.3\embedded./ doesn't exist. tnx7.Droid
    When you check the installed packages with NuGet the 23.0.1.3 is in fact listed as installed. Also the Xamarin Forms is 20.0.0.6482 for all projects.

Maybe something needs to be done other NuGet stuff or NuGet is putting stuff in the wrong place? What is the SDK installer? In the Android SDK Manager it list the 23.0.1 SDK Build Tools as installed. I don't see any 23.0.1 stuff not installed.

I do have everything in the path except no embedded folder. I am going to try and delete the \Android folder and see if it regenerates.

• kentuckerkentucker USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

If you look at the android projects properties you can see what android api level the app is set to build for. Do you have that android api downloaded from google? Is it set?